Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should be back in a GT3 - Need advice on road trip from Colorado to San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 11:49 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by benmc_2000
For me there is an unpleasant ‘boomyness’/resonance at around 5k. Seems to occur when changing gears.
I would have drivin with you, they had white MT gt3 i almost bought and in live in Los Angeles. So that would have been a blast, but sadly car sold last week, so I missed my car. Looking for MT gt3 with sofas

Last edited by Aku700; 09-05-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:59 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by benmc_2000
For me there is an unpleasant ‘boomyness’/resonance at around 5k. Seems to occur when changing gears.
Fantastic car and great Journey!

regarding the GMG - Is the resonance when the tach is around 5000 or if you shift around 5000? Do you have the valves “open” (ie valve light on?) or closed? Does it happen anyway whether valves open or closed? Do you have your window open at all when this is happening as that can create an in-cabin resonance...

If you are keeping valves closed all the time try driving with them open (they will open at 4000k rpm then not slightly later when the switch is off)
Old 09-07-2020, 02:17 PM
rhk118
Pro

Also - forgot to mention that whenever clutch is in, exhaust valves open up regardless of whether the exhaust valve button is active or inactive...so perhaps that is the sound you are hearing...try it push the clutch in when rolling when valves are closed and they will open up...perhaps that is contributing to the odd resonant sound you are hearing. I will say that with the stock rear muffler you don't get crackles and pops but with any rear muffle delete you will and they are real (i.e. not like BMW retarded timing dumping some fuel into the headers) so trade off between perhaps "boominess" of the GMG (potentially) are the rewarding sounds between shifts....hope you're enjoying your trip!
Old 09-07-2020, 07:16 PM
benmc_2000
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rhk118
Also - forgot to mention that whenever clutch is in, exhaust valves open up regardless of whether the exhaust valve button is active or inactive...so perhaps that is the sound you are hearing...try it push the clutch in when rolling when valves are closed and they will open up...perhaps that is contributing to the odd resonant sound you are hearing. I will say that with the stock rear muffler you don't get crackles and pops but with any rear muffle delete you will and they are real (i.e. not like BMW retarded timing dumping some fuel into the headers) so trade off between perhaps "boominess" of the GMG (potentially) are the rewarding sounds between shifts....hope you're enjoying your trip!
Think you are onto something. Boomy sound/resonance occurs when changing up with the exhaust button on. Right after the clutch is in and before it’s re-engaged. Interesting, I am not getting pops and crackles yet.

Trip is going very well, thanks.

Just made it to Mammoth. Drive through Death Valley was amazing, odd day with the smoke from wild fires. All photos have an eerie yellow hue.

The following 4 users liked this post by benmc_2000:
atlrvr (09-07-2020), carb0n (09-08-2020), Deven (09-07-2020), rhk118 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 08:41 PM
rhk118
Pro

Great pictures...That last one looks like something out of Star Trek! Love the black lettering against the black...

RE: the Boom-iness mine does the exact same thing with the boomy sound. Upshifts, seems to be related to clutch in/out...they must have programmed the valves to open/close with the clutch for whatever reason...maybe for sound, maybe something functional. Didn't happen with stock exhaust, but does with my GRP, but don't really notice it with smooth, fast shifts. The GMG and GRP are wider piped rear deletes so I'm sure there is some resonance effect from the pipe, perhaps Sharkwerks with standard pipe sizes would not do that as much...regardless I don't notice the boominess anymore...

Not sure If you know about this or figured it out on your own but one little detail I picked up from the owners manual (maybe I'm the one who read it, and for once learned something I didn't already know about this car) is you don't have to lift off the gas pedal when up-shifting, push clutch in and hold foot on the gas where you are, the car will hold revs and not over rev, pick your next gear and it will automatically drop revs to the appropriate amount for the next gear and keep going, feels weird at first but I REALLY like this feature and can see how Porsche tried to help us manual drivers keep up!...works in regular and sport mode...downshifts don't work that way though so if not in sport you have to blip it (have to be quick as this engine drops revs quick, seems about a 1000 RPM blip is the sweet spot), and if in sport mode, well thats magical on downshifts with the auto-blip....Keep sending pics!

Pops and crackles are subtle but they're in there, maybe need to have sport mode on to get them, haven't paid attention to that yet...was getting into the gas in mine today, and just put the exhaust on yesterday, and noticed them...had not noticed them with previously with the stock exhaust...but sport mode was engaged...will try with it off...

Last edited by rhk118; 09-07-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:43 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Great pictures...That last one looks like something out of Star Trek! Love the black lettering against the black...

RE: the Boom-iness mine does the exact same thing with the boomy sound. Upshifts, seems to be related to clutch in/out...they must have programmed the valves to open/close with the clutch for whatever reason...maybe for sound, maybe something functional. Didn't happen with stock exhaust, but does with my GRP, but don't really notice it with smooth, fast shifts. The GMG and GRP are wider piped rear deletes so I'm sure there is some resonance effect from the pipe, perhaps Sharkwerks with standard pipe sizes would not do that as much...regardless I don't notice the boominess anymore...

Not sure If you know about this or figured it out on your own but one little detail I picked up from the owners manual (maybe I'm the one who read it) is you don't have to lift off the gas pedal when up-shifting, push clutch in and hold foot on the gas where you are, the car will hold revs and not over rev, pick your next gear and it will automatically drop revs to the appropriate amount for the next gear and keep going, feels weird at first but I REALLY like this feature and can see how Porsche tried to help us manual drivers keep up!...works in regular and sport mode...downshifts don't work that way though so if not in sport you have to blip it (have to be quick as this engine drops revs quick, seems about a 1000 RPM blip is the sweet spot), and if in sport mode, well thats magical on downshifts with the auto-blip....Keep sending pics!
I ran into guy with gt3 last week and I asked him how he likes the "no lift shift" option and he had no idea you could do that. I think many MT gt3 owners don't know that, not sure. Lol

Last edited by Aku700; 09-07-2020 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rhk118 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 08:51 PM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by Aku700
I ran into guy with gt3 last week and I asked him how he likes the "no lift shift" option and he had no idea you could do that. I think many MT gt3 owners don't know that, not sure. Lol
Well its a one liner in the owners manual in a little yellow box that could otherwise easily be ignored...and I thought to myself no way, something got lost in translation there....then tried it the next day in 4th gear at about 2K RPM so I didn't overrev and it just held revs for as long as the clutch was in as if my dog actually stayed when I asked her to stay! Its really another level to auto-blip....I like to blip for myself and you need to be quick with this engine to do it right but I'm getting my dance steps down...but this upshifting method I LOVE....surprised it isn't out there more.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:51 PM
benmc_2000
Advanced

I was trying to experiment with the no-lift upshift today. Hard to un-learn a habit of 20+ years, almost got it a couple of times so more practice needed on the final run home tomorrow

Last decision of the trip, what pass to take over the Sierras? Either Ebbetts (Route 4) or Sonora (Route 108) driven both before. Think I am leaning towards Ebbetts, did it last year in the Cayman GTS. Any advice?

thanks all

Ben
rhk118 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:08 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Well its a one liner in the owners manual in a little yellow box that could otherwise easily be ignored...and I thought to myself no way, something got lost in translation there....then tried it the next day in 4th gear at about 2K RPM so I didn't overrev and it just held revs for as long as the clutch was in as if my dog actually stayed when I asked her to stay! Its really another level to auto-blip....I like to blip for myself and you need to be quick with this engine to do it right but I'm getting my dance steps down...but this upshifting method I LOVE....surprised it isn't out there more.
Driving back to back (997.1 to GT3), it is easier to drive the GT3 smoother, in both up and down shifting. It is almost uncanny that it holds the revs when shifting gears. The clutch is lighter, and the engine is way more responsive. I was a little 'freaked' out when I was in sports mode, and the engine kept on blipping with gear change. It is extremely noticeable when in lower RPM. I did read the manual after that and realized that it was supposed to do that but my initial reaction was that something was broken.

I am not going to, but I think I could easily teach my kids how to drive stick on the GT3.
rhk118 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:19 PM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by Deven
Driving back to back (997.1 to GT3), it is easier to drive the GT3 smoother, in both up and down shifting. It is almost uncanny that it holds the revs when shifting gears. The clutch is lighter, and the engine is way more responsive. I was a little 'freaked' out when I was in sports mode, and the engine kept on blipping with gear change. It is extremely noticeable when in lower RPM. I did read the manual after that and realized that it was supposed to do that but my initial reaction was that something was broken.
I am not going to, but I think I could easily teach my kids how to drive stick on the GT3.
Hijacking the thread, but yes I am a traditionalist for sure as well and this freaks me out a bit not lifting to upshift as well as auto-blips....I like to do all the work myself, and don't want it to work differently in different modes in case I forget what mode I'm in. But for whatever reason the hold the gas pedal down on upshifts I really like, but you can drive it normally as well (which you can't do with forced auto blip on downshift). Did a lot of my early driving in the car with sport on so it would auto blip while getting used to it which was awesome but car was intimidating enough that I didn't want to have to worry about exact rev matching when settling in and rather where the blind spot really was, seat position, the acceleration and sounds (!)...it is a lot to take in when you're not used to it. My M3 did auto blipping as well until I had the engine tuned and had auto-blipping removed in the process (yes...yes...I did hop in and see if the M3 holds revs on upshift and, alas, it does not LOL). I will teach my kids to drive on my manual 1990 Miata, which interestingly that entire car is worth just about the price of the 911R shift **** that someone put in my touring

Last edited by rhk118; 09-07-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:28 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Regarding the GMG. I had a very high quality and expensive aftermarket exhaust on mine which will remain nameless bc I have nothing bad to say about it. It was awesome for a while. Got old though. Put the stock one back on. Perfectly happy now all the time. Porsche knows what they are doing.
rhk118 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 07:13 PM
benmc_2000
Advanced

Home after 1789 miles from Colorado Springs to San Francisco. Only stopped briefly today in the Sierras as the smoke from wildfires blocked a lot of the views. Chose Route 108 (Sonora Pass) in the end

GT3 Touring is tucked up in the garage with the Cayman and a few motorcycles

rhk118 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounds like you had a great trip and missed some bad weather. Apparently Colorado got snow including Denver yesterday. Within 24 hours temperature dropped from over 100 to 37.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:20 PM
rhk118
Pro

Congrats on getting her home, awesome journey!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:25 PM
benmc_2000
Advanced

Think this was the best road trip we have ever done. With help from the forum we planned a great route, in the end we only had 4-6 hours on boring freeways, the rest of the time was on great mountain or back roads - Thanks all for the help and advice.

Ben
rodsky (09-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Should be back in a GT3 - Need advice on road trip from Colorado to San Francisco