Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring Road Trip - Texas to Portland (Advice Welcomed)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 06:11 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wru
properly bug splattered. it's grasshopper season!
I swear I must have brought 4 pounds of Texas grasshoppers with me tucked in to that front grill! The splatter continues at least until I get to Orange County. Hoping I get it clean there at the halfway point. Make it presentable for the epic Big Sur photos.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:13 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deven
I am not sure what route you are taking, but if you want to experience the most diverse terrain changes in Arizona (and don't mind a bit of a detour), I would suggest driving towards Showlow (Pinetop, Snowflake area (which happens to be a ski area in winter)),from Roswell and then towards Payson. You will hit Tonto National Forrest along the way, with some pretty dense Pine tree forests. From Payson you can backtrack towards Phoenix via the Beeline highway (SR87) which is a 2 lane divided highway with great curves and at the same time significant and a generalized descent in altitude to the 'Valley'. It is one of the usual highways used when one wants to 'play' with these great cars. (There were some fires in June, but as far as I know, everything is open).

You then take Shea Road to the heart of Scottsdale, where all the mega resorts and hotels are (I won't make any recommendations, because it depends on what you 'fancy'). There are also literally 100's of restaurants up and down Scottsdale road.

When you leave Phoenix, take Interstate 17 to Flagstaff. Another great divided highway with more great curved segments, significant ascent and descents to really have fun with the car (with a 'speed limit' of 75 the minute you leave the metro Phoenix area). Along the way to Flagstaff consider a stop in Sedona. From there I 40 will take you to LA area. The alternative would be to go towards Las Vegas from Kingman and then you get to cross the Hover Dam which I think is worth seeing once. Similarly, if you have never seen the Grand Canyon, you will be really close, and it would be a great opportunity to take a detour off the I 40.

Deven
Thanks Deven. Ended up taking Hwy 60 out of Ruidoso thanks to some advice from a local couple that chatted me up at the coffee shop. Excellent two lane roads most of the way and it took me through two state park forests once into Arizona. Lovely day of driving!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:16 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
Thinking about doing this the opposite way SF to Austin; just got a gt3 in SF and looking at either driving over 2.5 days to Austin vs flying to SF taking a Napa trip then shipping back to Texas...... How is your trip progressing?
Phenomenal so far! About to upload today's pictures, it's been quite the experience. I am certainly looking forward to the coast as in my personal experience the stretch of Highway 1 through Big Sur is the prettiest highway I've seen in this country. Can't wait for those pictures later this week!

I highly recommend making the trip. I can't speak for others but driving this car is a truly invigorating experience that has taken my appreciation of it as a machine to a whole new level.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris88
Keep in mind Hwy 242 is only open a few months of the year, as they do not plow the winter snow away until early summer. Go to Oregon.gov for road conditions. It's a fairly narrow road in spots, but was repaved a few years a go, so still in good conditions. Try to drive it in the early morning to avoid traffic...and watch for bicyclists!
I knew that road sounded familiar, I've been wanting to do as a cycling route for a while now. Clips I've seen look breath taking. Sounds like a great road for the GT3 as well. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:33 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Another great day down. Made it from Ruidoso, NM (gorgeous little town) to Gilbert AZ to spend some time with an old friend. Got a last minute suggestion to take the northern route mainly on highway 60 for the best scenery. It's amazing the intel you can get from local folks with a smile and a bit of conversation.

The clouds in New Mexico just look different out there... must be the altitude. Loved the two-lane highway, seems so fitting for this car on a tight road with some great curves thrown in for enjoyment. Had a phenomenal green chile cheeseburger, good conversation, and some live music in "Pie Town". Washed it down with some pie of course! (Note to self, don't keep the uneaten blueberry pie on the passenger side floorboard, makes for a nerve-wracking experience when said pie slides around in the curves... thank god for sturdy togo containers)

Some long straight roads to open her up, and plenty of beautiful views. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

My observations of the car today are:
1) She loves to be driven intentionally. I mean, intentional movements, intentional shifts, and intentional acceleration and braking. It's the type of driving that takes much more concentration from me than touring in a less sophisticated machine. I'm wiped at the end of the day and seem to enjoy planning fewer miles to stop more often and take more photos/make more memories.
2) 8500 RPM sounds ****ing amazing.

Tomorrow I'll try to hit Sedona and Flagstaff before heading west to OC. Wanted to do Sedona today but the timing just wouldn't have worked.
The following 6 users liked this post by TheLeftSchuh:
Chris88 (08-10-2020), Deven (08-10-2020), montoya (08-11-2020), pdxjim (08-10-2020), sullic (08-11-2020), TYPE911 (08-10-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-10-2020, 09:45 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Good times. Thank you for sharing with us.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:15 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 178 Posts

If you are going up the PCH, plan to take your time. There is a really not a lot of lodging options from San Luis Obispo to Monterrey. (some small places exist but don't expect to find a Ritz Carlton along the way) If you can stay in San Luis Obispo and hit the PCH super early, you will want to do this. Enjoy the road, and stop and take a ton of photos of your sexy new to you GT3 and the amazing CA coast line. Also in this same stretch cell service is a bit sh!tty so obviously plan accordingly and make sure you have a full tank of gas and some basic supplies before setting off from SLO. (I hope you have the extended range fuel tank!) Do NOT drive this stretch of the PCH in the dark (you will regret it) also don't think you're Tom Cruise in Day of Thunder because a whoops on this section of road could result in a several hundred foot cliff dive into the pacific ocean. Don't forget the obligatory stop at Laguna Seca. (the last time I happened to pass through Mercedes was doing a driving event there and they saw my A8L and asked if I wanted have a go in their new C63 AMG) --This was 2008 at the time. Needless to say it didn't take any arm twisting for me to get out there! Good luck and cograts!

Last edited by NiteJav; 08-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NiteJav:
sampelligrino (08-11-2020), SoCalDan (08-13-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 12:23 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

I know precisely where you are in the SAT dish pic. Think we actually stop in the exact same spot. I'm green with envy right now. Just a joy to cross country tour in these cars.
The following users liked this post:
TheLeftSchuh (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

congrats to both buyer and seller

enjoy the car and the road trip
Old 08-11-2020, 03:19 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Great travel thread! Please keep the posts and photos coming.
The following users liked this post:
TheLeftSchuh (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 07:02 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
I know precisely where you are in the SAT dish pic. Think we actually stop in the exact same spot. I'm green with envy right now. Just a joy to cross country tour in these cars.
That was a really cool spot, couldn't help but think of the movie "Contact" where I had seen those satellite dishes on the big screen. Met some kind gentlemen there that wanted to know all about the car and gave me good insight on the remaining stretch of road there that is quite a nice straightaway and lightly patroled

These cars really are a joy for this type of trip. Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:04 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by NiteJav
If you are going up the PCH, plan to take your time. There is a really not a lot of lodging options from San Luis Obispo to Monterrey. (some small places exist but don't expect to find a Ritz Carlton along the way) If you can stay in San Luis Obispo and hit the PCH super early, you will want to do this. Enjoy the road, and stop and take a ton of photos of your sexy new to you GT3 and the amazing CA coast line. Also in this same stretch cell service is a bit sh!tty so obviously plan accordingly and make sure you have a full tank of gas and some basic supplies before setting off from SLO. (I hope you have the extended range fuel tank!) Do NOT drive this stretch of the PCH in the dark (you will regret it) also don't think you're Tom Cruise in Day of Thunder because a whoops on this section of road could result in a several hundred foot cliff dive into the pacific ocean. Don't forget the obligatory stop at Laguna Seca. (the last time I happened to pass through Mercedes was doing a driving event there and they saw my A8L and asked if I wanted have a go in their new C63 AMG) --This was 2008 at the time. Needless to say it didn't take any arm twisting for me to get out there! Good luck and cograts!
Thank you! Highway 1 is the first stretch of this drive that I'm familiar with, I just can't get enough of it. Never done it in a car tailor made for that type of road, and usually some portion of it has been closed for repairs. Hoping that Thursday will be light on traffic!
Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Started out today heading north to Sedona. I was told it was worth the extra miles and it didn't disappoint. I will say that I struggled to find a vista that properly showed its beauty and none of the photos come close to doing it justice. Coming over the highway I was stuck by the landscape and its natural wonder. I've seen Red Rock National Park from Las Vegas and those colors against the blue sky really are moving. Interestingly as I pulled up to a stoplight on my way out of town I ended up at the front of the line next to a B5 Blue Dodge Demon... not quite as rare as the Touring but it does just happen to be the exact same color and car that I own sitting up at home in Portland. Had to roll down the window and say hello to the driver and his wife. I actually recognized his build (red leather interior a 1 of 2 car) that I had seen on a Demon forum. I have done one similar road trip to this where I bought a car and drove it up Highway 1 back to Oregon and it was in that Demon. What are the chances I run into basically my own car on this trip. Cool coincidence in the universe.

I will say after Sedona it was pretty average roads down highway 40 out through the desert, which got up to 115 degrees at one point, without a whole lot to look at. Passed through Kaibab National Forest, and coming from Oregon with all due respect to Kaibab, I'm not sure it's a forest as much as a collection of oversized shrubs.

Regardless of the lack of scenery or fun two-lane roads this car still held my attention all day. Stopped off on old Highway 66 for lunch by chance and I swear the place reminded me of Captain Spaulding's roadside museum from House of 1000 Corpses.

Made good time today traveling roughly 650 miles at an average of 70mph which included all my puttering around in Gilbert, Sedona, and Hwy 66. We were moving at a good pace! Not as many good photos today, and tomorrow she'll be reunited with Moe for the day but I promise that the rest of the week will bring some epic shots along the coast!

The following 7 users liked this post by TheLeftSchuh:
ashish (08-11-2020), kstadt911 (08-11-2020), montoya (08-11-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-11-2020), sullic (08-11-2020), TexasPorschelover (08-11-2020), thigos (08-11-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:43 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

What a great road trip. I'm excited to follow the rest of it. Sounds like you are having a blast and really getting acquainted with your new car.

By the way, this is THE BEST spec'd touring I've seen!!!! Exactly as I would do. Congrats on the car and the epic trip.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:17 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Spent the day in Costa Mesa with no traveling. Had the excellent opportunity to return to the scene of the build for this car at Glistening Perfection where it was shipped immediately upon original purchase for full PPF, tint, vinyl, radar detector/laser jammer system, and epic Musicar stereo upgrade with complete sound deadening added. My impression of Moe and his crew is a first class operation focused on craftsman level workmanship. Truly people who care about what they do. I can unequivocally recommend Moe's shop to anyone looking for top notch work. I left thoroughly impressed with attention to minor detail and ultimate pride in services provided. I will consider this shop above all others I've worked with for any serious projects in the future, in particular any Porsche related ones. Ray chose wisely.

Oh, and she is clean once again. I'll almost feel guilty getting her back to filthy while going up the coast to Portland the next few days. Almost...

The following 2 users liked this post by TheLeftSchuh:
montoya (08-12-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-12-2020)

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring Road Trip - Texas to Portland (Advice Welcomed)