Roll raced a Honda CBR 1000rr

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 04:05 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yup.

Sounds like you were Marc Marquez’ teacher.
Haha, that is funny, no where near that level...Marquez and the boys are on a different planet. I was just always a good athlete and had good reflexes and was fearless but was too small to play varsity football well and had lots of trigger time (started on a mini bike in elementary school, then a 150cc Vespa scooter that I used to ride like a pro in the woods, then a Bonanza mini cycle, then a 175cc Enduro, then YZ125, then YZ250, then a TZ-250 (My Dad modified our YZ250 and we did some flat rack and TT races with her too, beyond motocross) , then H2-750, then TZ-350, then a handful of top level superbikes...got the 10,000 hours of experience to become an "expert" sometime early in the process but nowhere near the Moto GP guys...but sure would have liked to have seen where I could have gone had I stuck with it, but I am glad I listened to my Dad and we hung up the racing leathers late in my Sr. year.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,053 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I see your point and most folks would say the same, but think about this.

Open road with no cars and plenty of site path...Quick accel / decel in these cars only takes a few seconds.

VS.

Going 20-30 over posted in congested traffic and / or zipping in/out of other cars.

As a police officer, I've worked TONS of the later style accidents and NONE of the top scenario in my 14+ year career.

My point?? Is it illegal to do what he did? Yes... Is it the most dangerous compared to what most drivers do a daily basis ALL Day long?? NO.
The only issue with that performance is that it doesn't make a good example for other potential drivers. Given that the vast number of drivers (young and old) have virtually no skill with vehicle control, encouraging them to emulate street racing isn't the best idea.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Haha, that is funny, no where near that level...Marquez and the boys are on a different planet. I was just always a good athlete and had good reflexes and was fearless but was too small to play varsity football well and had lots of trigger time (started on a mini bike in elementary school, then a 150cc Vespa scooter that I used to ride like a pro in the woods, then a Bonanza mini cycle, then a 175cc Enduro, then YZ125, then YZ250, then a TZ-250 (My Dad modified our YZ250 and we did some flat rack and TT races with her too, beyond motocross) , then H2-750, then TZ-350, then a handful of top level superbikes...got the 10,000 hours of experience to become an "expert" sometime early in the process but nowhere near the Moto GP guys...but sure would have liked to have seen where I could have gone had I stuck with it, but I am glad I listened to my Dad and we hung up the racing leathers late in my Sr. year.
All the years I rode/raced scooters I never seriously got off one (a few low sides on the road race scooters and a few dumps in the dirt/motocross). Had my share of close calls that could have been dangerous but never a bad get off that resulted in injury. I didn't start getting injured until I took up Tennis at the A club level, haha, screwed my back, my knee and had a severe ankle dislocation. Here is an old Road Race story for you that you will appreciate. I had just gotten a sponsored TZ-350 (D) ride for Daytona in '75 and had run a few of the amateur prelim races and had placed high enough that I earned my Expert License right at the track. My sponsor (Island Yamaha in Merritt Island Fl.) and my Dad (Pop was an Engineer out at The Cape and was my main wrench and financer beyond the free ride) were discussing if they wanted to make a qualifying run for the 200 and I was out during one of the open practices. I came down off the front tri oval and was getting ready to start braking for turn one into the infield when a certain #1 plated Yamaha TZ-750 came by me. I instantly knew it was KR and tucked in behind him thinking I could follow him through the infield and learn a few things. Through turn one being I had the smaller lighter bike I even got inside him briefly and then being the 18 year old kid I was the thought crossed my brain that hey you have the lighter bike, maybe you can get him through one of the infield turns...he then pulled me pretty good thru turn 2/3 but at the 4th hair pin I was able to out brake him and started to get what I thought was the inside line on him again...lol, Kenny had purposely gone out side and then rotated the bike (steering with the back wheel) and pointed the front tire at the apex exit point and left a rubber mark all the way across the track as he slid his TZ-750 all the way to his chosen exit point then popped up and was gone...lol. Never saw him again. The only thing I learned was Kenny was otherworldly talented and I needed to stop messing around and get prepared for Engineering College like my dad had been telling me.

Awesome Story and I bet that was so much fun.

I worked with Scott Russel's Father (Jack Russel) at a dealership where I was in sales back in 2000-2005. I got to do a track day with him and Mike Smith (Scott bro-in-law..#911) with them on Super Motards and me on my R1. They made me look silly in the tight stuff...lol

You had the opposite problem of me. You said you were too small, which is great on motorcycles as long as you can handle them. I always have, what I considered, great skill and always thought I could have been competitive in racing. Yet no matter how good I was, being 6'2" and 250-260 lbs.outside of my leathers / gear (more muscular build back then), there's just simply NO WAY to compete with the lighter guys. NO ONE my size ever made / makes it to the pros and gets paid. Not that I or my family had the money to let me race anyway. It was only until I made my own money did I start doing track days and such.

Stock R1 including exhaust but had to have the suspension setup for my size / weight.

I held my own though... On the brakes was where I always made time.. Coming from MX, getting "squirely" and sliding the rear was my forte'.

Originally Posted by Marv
The only issue with that performance is that it doesn't make a good example for other potential drivers. Given that the vast number of drivers (young and old) have virtually no skill with vehicle control, encouraging them to emulate street racing isn't the best idea.

I'm not advocating he / we do these type of things, I was just stating what type of accidents happen and how people get hurt / killed daily vs. the one off WOT acceleration run like he described.

Off the record, I've done it many times. It's about knowing when / where to do it safely.

I wasn't always a cop
Old 08-02-2020, 05:26 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

All the years I rode/raced scooters I never seriously got off one (a few low sides on the road race scooters and a few dumps in the dirt/motocross). Had my share of close calls that could have been dangerous but never a bad get off that resulted in injury. I didn't start getting injured until I took up Tennis at the A club level, haha, screwed my back, my knee and had a severe ankle dislocation. Here is an old Road Race story for you that you will appreciate. I had just gotten a sponsored TZ-350 (D) ride for Daytona in '75 and had run a few of the amateur prelim races and had placed high enough that I earned my Expert License right at the track. My sponsor (Island Yamaha in Merritt Island Fl.) and my Dad (Pop was an Engineer out at The Cape and was my main wrench and financer beyond the free ride) were discussing if they wanted to make a qualifying run for the 200 and I was out during one of the open practices. I came down off the front tri oval and was getting ready to start braking for turn one into the infield when a certain #1 plated Yamaha TZ-750 came by me. I instantly knew it was KR and tucked in behind him thinking I could follow him through the infield and learn a few things. Through turn one being I had the smaller lighter bike I even got inside him briefly and then being the 18 year old kid I was the thought crossed my brain that hey you have the lighter bike, maybe you can get him through one of the infield turns...he then pulled me pretty good thru turn 2/3 but at the 4th hair pin I was able to out brake him and started to get what I thought was the inside line on him again...lol, Kenny had purposely gone out side and then rotated the bike (steering with the back wheel) and pointed the front tire at the apex exit point and left a rubber mark all the way across the track as he slid his TZ-750 all the way to his chosen exit point then popped up and was gone...lol. Never saw him again. The only thing I learned was Kenny was otherworldly talented and I needed to stop messing around and get prepared for Engineering College like my dad had been telling me.
Awesome story. Nothing like getting schooled by a legend! Honor to be on the same track. 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by tims16m:
richk (08-03-2020), usrodeo4 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Few old pics and how I used to act on bikes...lol

Old 08-02-2020, 10:29 PM
stpatsday
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 08-02-2020, 10:44 PM
stpatsday
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

QUOTE=Big Swole;16817720]Ridden sport bikes all my adult life and did many track days. Most Squids on those things can't truly "Ride" anyway.

However, a GT2RS has enough HorseTorques to definitely hang with / pull on most stock bikes.

On the street, I doubt many, if any could 0-60 well.. Unless they were built like Max Biagi or Danie Pedrosaa (Tiny little dudes). Even then, keeping the front end down.[/QUOTE]

^ takes experience to control a liter bike
Old 08-02-2020, 11:32 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Saw that on FB a few days ago.... lol

Squid!!
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:21 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Ouch - Hope he was ok
Old 08-03-2020, 09:26 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

That's why you see those Bikes with Extended swing arms.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:58 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

I see your point and most folks would say the same, but think about this.

Open road with no cars and plenty of site path...Quick accel / decel in these cars only takes a few seconds.

VS.

Going 20-30 over posted in congested traffic and / or zipping in/out of other cars.

As a police officer, I've worked TONS of the later style accidents and NONE of the top scenario in my 14+ year career.

My point?? Is it illegal to do what he did? Yes... Is it the most dangerous compared to what most drivers do a daily basis ALL Day long?? NO.
Would you have written these 2 up?
Old 08-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDCR
Would you have written these 2 up?
Hard to answer. First off, our "chase policy" is very strict and if either chose not to stop, we couldn't chase anyway.

Secondly, I'm a bit different of an officer compared to most / others. I've ridden fast motorcycles / cars all my life. So odds are (unless they were totally disrespectful to me), I'd give them a good "talking to" and cut them loose.

I've had my share of speeding tickets back in the day. Even got arrested once for riding a wheelie. lol. But, I look at things in the big picture. It's all the other crap I see most normal drivers do that's FAR MORE dangerous, than the folks on an open deserted road going for a quick "roll race".

But for the record, Racing isn't just a "write them up" thing. It's a, "Do not pass GO and head straight to jail" thing, most times. So be careful!! Not all officers see / do things the way I do.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:26 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

Hard to answer. First off, our "chase policy" is very strict and if either chose not to stop, we couldn't chase anyway.

Secondly, I'm a bit different of an officer compared to most / others. I've ridden fast motorcycles / cars all my life. So odds are (unless they were totally disrespectful to me), I'd give them a good "talking to" and cut them loose.

I've had my share of speeding tickets back in the day. Even got arrested once for riding a wheelie. lol. But, I look at things in the big picture. It's all the other crap I see most normal drivers do that's FAR MORE dangerous, than the folks on an open deserted road going for a quick "roll race".

But for the record, Racing isn't just a "write them up" thing. It's a, "Do not pass GO and head straight to jail" thing, most times. So be careful!! Not all officers see / do things the way I do.
So as a police officer you've taken it on yourself to determine which laws you enforce and which ones you don't? 150mph on the street is dumb, full stop.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Fast car for sure, but he didn't know what he was doing if you crushed him from either a 60mph roll on or from a stand still. That's a sub 10 second quarter mile bike.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:53 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

My wife would have chopped my nuts off if I dragged someone with her in the car ......I don't bother with guys wanting to race anymore I am past that age where I get the urge and just go for it ....... Besides I get a lot of restraint practice from all the hot shots pulling up to me with lowered Honda's and loud exhausts that always want to go ... Give me a break already

Quick Reply: Roll raced a Honda CBR 1000rr