Sponsored by:

.2 GT3/RS vs 458 dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 07:26 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Sam did you move the 488? That’s one beautiful car, and I think everyone should own a Ferrari once, and hell with lap times. Beauty is beauty.
Yessir, I loved the 488 especially as my very first Fcar. There's just something else about the drama, passion, heritage, legacy, and thrill of driving a Ferrari IMO and that's just not something you can quantify via dyno/scale or whatever. Call it Italian kool aid maybe, limoncello, brunello, whatever but I am guzzling it. I just missed some of the rawness and aggression that the GT3 had, vs how seamlessly easy the 488 was at full boil. Mixing the two together, I ended up in the 458 Speciale

Last edited by sampelligrino; 07-30-2020 at 08:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Richard-GT40-911 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 07:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Yessir, I loved the 488 especially as my very first Fcar. Nothing can touch the drama, passion, heritage, legacy, and thrill of driving a Ferrari IMO and that's just not something you can quantify via dyno/scale or whatever. Call it Italian kool aid maybe, limoncello, brunello, whatever but I am guzzling it. I just missed some of the rawness and aggression that the GT3 had, vs how seamlessly easy the 488 was at full boil. Mixing the two together, I ended up in the 458 Speciale
Very cool If it had a Gated Manual option, I'd be seriously interested too.

Any plans to experience it on a track?
I remember your Nürburgring laps with the GT3 and reminded of them by your avatar
sampelligrino (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:22 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Very cool If it had a Gated Manual option, I'd be seriously interested too.

Any plans to experience it on a track?
I remember your Nürburgring laps with the GT3 and reminded of them by your avatar
Haha thanks Grant. What's funny is Chris Harris says in his Speciale review that if this car had a manual, it would be too much to handle and I'd probably agree with him

No plans to take her to the track, I am smitten with the cruises up the coast and just taking her into the canyons so far. To be fair I've never been much of a track guy, my lap at the Ring was and still is the only lap on a track I've ever done. Pretty thrilling to do it at the Green Hell in your first high end 911 you paid cash for, only with some (outstanding) messages from kobalt with advice (and warnings) lol

Also, I said that in my prior post that nothing can touch the attributes of a Ferrari but that's not true, it's just that there is something else about a Ferrari that I find myself appreciating more and more over time. I still love Porsche, and have my 50th which I also plan to keep.
Oh and I am never changing my avatar, that was a dream come true in many ways
Old 07-30-2020, 08:35 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Yessir, I loved the 488 especially as my very first Fcar. There's just something else about the drama, passion, heritage, legacy, and thrill of driving a Ferrari IMO and that's just not something you can quantify via dyno/scale or whatever. Call it Italian kool aid maybe, limoncello, brunello, whatever but I am guzzling it. I just missed some of the rawness and aggression that the GT3 had, vs how seamlessly easy the 488 was at full boil. Mixing the two together, I ended up in the 458 Speciale
you’ve done well that car is sweet. Only so much power is usable, and enjoy in good health
sampelligrino (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
you’ve done well that car is sweet. Only so much power is usable, and enjoy in good health
Thanks man!! Appreciate the kind words. I've never named any of my cars, but if I wanted to name this one I'd call her goldilocks
Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Also, I said that in my prior post that nothing can touch the attributes of a Ferrari but that's not true, it's just that there is something else about a Ferrari that I find myself appreciating more and more over time. I still love Porsche, and have my 50th which I also plan to keep.
Oh and I am never changing my avatar, that was a dream come true in many ways
Great sentiment

I'm glad that I was able to have a Ferrari for a short time (nothing as cool as Speciale though). Was fun having twice the cylinders I'm used to.

If you're One And Done on track laps, you certainly were discriminating with your choice

Enjoy it in good health!
sampelligrino (08-03-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:59 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Curiously enough, I have never driven a 458 until this past Sunday. Took a friend's Spider for a spin. All I can say is...drama. Quite different from any GT3 variants. Track - GT3 for sure. Spin on a Sunday, 458. I never liked the attention of F, but the drama of the 458 overwhelms the attention negatives. Dyno results are cool, but in the end the experience is what matters. And experience varies with the purpose of the drive. Just my $.02
sampelligrino (08-03-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:52 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

I don't think it's an unfair comparison because of the price difference. The Ferrari may be from 10 years ago but still costs what a 911.2 GT3 costs today so people might be cross shopping. The Ferrari might FEEL faster due to the torque but I've seen plenty of side-by-side drags to indicate there should be very little in it in terms of speed.
R35driver (07-31-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 09:00 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AlecG
Not a chance, 458's can't hang with any 991.2 GT3 around a road course.

The fezza has good straight line speed but the grip and the braking of the GT3's are in a different class. I've tracked against dozens of 458's and it has never been close.

For reference, 458 'Ring time is 7:38, GT3 gets it done in 7:12.

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife
you can strap cup r tires from the pista on 458, a thing you can't do on the gt3. That alone would be decisive.
P.S. nurburgring times that have a delta of more than 1 max 2 winters between them are not really valid. With that time delta they are useless, track gets paved/fixed/smoothed out yearly, plus tires got a lot better and Ferrari doesn't do nurburgring lap records so that value has to be from the magazine, such number at least should be compared with the same time that the magazine achieved with the rival car.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:09 PM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
you can strap cup r tires from the pista on 458, a thing you can't do on the gt3. That alone would be decisive.
P.S. nurburgring times that have a delta of more than 1 max 2 winters between them are not really valid. With that time delta they are useless, track gets paved/fixed/smoothed out yearly, plus tires got a lot better and Ferrari doesn't do nurburgring lap records so that value has to be from the magazine, such number at least should be compared with the same time that the magazine achieved with the rival car.
Maybe “The Ring” does change a bit from season to season but I would bet all that I have on a 991.2 GT3 up against a 458 both on equal rubber.

If you look hard enough you can find very reputable drivers exclaiming that a GT3 will give a Speciale all that it can handle.

Not sure what you’re referring to about the Cup R tires but I slap Hoosier R7’s on my car when it sees track duty and I do extremely well again full fledged race cars at Watkins Glen.

Also compare equal year Porsche Cup Cars vs Ferrari Challenge cars and the deltas are more than significant. It’s not even close. 991 Cup’s put 2-3 seconds a lap on 458 Challenge Cars at Watkins.

That is an eternity in racing. Most teams would sell their own mother for a half second improvement.
Drifting (08-07-2020)

Quick Reply: .2 GT3/RS vs 458 dyno