Sponsored by:

JCR Race Pipe Vs Soul Modular System: the good, bad and ugly

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default JCR Race Pipe Vs Soul Modular System: the good, bad and ugly

So I have finally narrowed it between the two for my 991.2 GT3. I like my exhaust loud so that is how I came to the two conclusions. I also was looking for the higher pitch and again that’s why I have narrowed it to these two. Customer service pre-sale has been top notch with both companies answering all my emails rather promptly.

I must say I have not heard either one in person so there we have it......

I would like for those of you that have either please chime in and give us the candid remarks and opinions of the 2 systems.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:46 PM
jkob5
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The JCR race pipe sounds incredible interior and from outside. My favorite sounding exhaust I've heard and I have the AWE full system. I personally know two people that have had it in my local club, yet both of them took it off the car eventually. Apparently it drones quite terribly on the highway to the point neither could tolerate it. In fact, one sold it to the other and he eventually sold it to someone else for the same reason haha. The AWE is quite noisy interior and they both said it was quite a bit quieter than the JCR. Hands down though, it sounds incredible. You may also want to give the AWE switchpath some research, it's great too IMO in case that's a compromise. Being you are in CA I'm sure some local guys or gals can take you for a spin and do some testing!
Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

Haven't heard Soul in person but I did have the race pipe. The sound is truly incredible but it is LOUD. There is also some drone at certain RPM levels. If you aren't driving the car that often it is a great sound, but if you are using it every day I would suggest something like the GMG/BBI/GRP ones.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Haven't heard Soul in person but I did have the race pipe. The sound is truly incredible but it is LOUD. There is also some drone at certain RPM levels. If you aren't driving the car that often it is a great sound, but if you are using it every day I would suggest something like the GMG/BBI/GRP ones.

not an everyday car, weekend and canyon and occasional DE.

does anyone have thought about the Crack Pipe by Dundon?

Also any issues with not having any support on the center bypass with JCR? I see the Soul has a support designed.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 PM
jkob5
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlas911TT

Also any issues with not having any support on the center bypass with JCR? I see the Soul has a support designed.
In my experience, if you mount that center, the chassis resonance is unbearable. I have unmounted my AWE and much happier with it unmounted.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:05 PM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

I would suggest the JCR Silenced race pipe
Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 PM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by hashash
I would suggest the JCR Silenced race pipe

the sound up top is very similar to the race pipe, but I can’t get a handle on how it sounds down low and idle? Can you chime in?
Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 PM
achenator
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jkob5
In my experience, if you mount that center, the chassis resonance is unbearable. I have unmounted my AWE and much happier with it unmounted.
No worries of the weight pulling down on the rest of the hot exhaust components?
Old 07-23-2020, 12:04 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

I have tried JCR valved race pipe and soul side bypass + sharky center bypass, on the same car, 991.1 GT3RS. I understand that is not the SOUL modular you are talking about, but as close as I can get to my own experience, and I suspect may be similar the the SOUL modular. Without a doubt, the sound of the JCR is better, sharper, more high pitched, and way less drone. Yes, there is some drone, but nothing like the other combo.

I then put the SOUL + sharky on my 997.2 GT3RS and quickly removed it as well, just way too much drone. On both cars the sound was good and of course LOUD, especially at higher RPM, but at lower RPM and by this i mean up to 5k or so, just way to much drone. I found the drone very prominent in the 4-5 range. I could live with it if 2k cause I am never there, but not 3.5-4.8k-ish for street driving.

Next, on my new 991.2 GT3 manual I tried GMG center bypass, then JCR, all within 3 days of owning the car. Here, the center bypass alone (ie, side mufflers on!) had substantially more drone than the full JCR valved race.

Disclaimer - I do have a JCR for sale, but this is my honest assessment. I now have other reasons for selling the JCR.

Last edited by drl; 07-23-2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: rpm text edit
Old 07-23-2020, 12:39 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

for a weekend car i do not think drone is a big issue. I do not use the car cruising at highway speeds, so cannot comment on drone there.

no issue with support, JCR designed it well, bolts up at the cats Of course and also at the oem side muffler mounting bracket.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:47 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I have race headers + loud muffler by dundon. It's LOUD. Valves closed/exhaust button not pressed, no drone. Valves open, slight drone at low rpms, not significant.

I can't imagine Crack Pipe instead of the loud muffler, it might only be tolerable w a catted setup I think, or on a car you trailer to track.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:25 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

I've had a handful of PMs lately asking about my experience with the silenced race pipe from JCR so I figured I'd put those here.

The exhaust does drone between 2.2 - 3k RPM, and especially under light throttle in this range it's pretty bad. I sometimes attempt to keep the car in a lower gear so the RPMs stay above that range, but that's not always reasonable or practical. It does sound fantastic in the higher revs and during quick shifts with PDK - - in fact it does this little "spit" sound during shifts that sounds very much like the RSR and that never fails to put a smile on my face. At the track it's simply incredible but I do wear hearing protection.

My main problem with the unit however is its mechanical design. For some reason Jonny and his team decided to not have a center pick-up point for the center part of the exhaust (it's a two-piece system). Maybe it's due to the chassis resonance someone commented on here but after EVERY track event the exhaust tips have dropped 3-4" and has to be readjusted. The slip-on nature of the design relies solely on the band clamps to keep the two pieces in place but this is an inherently flawed design as you can't compress titanium - - it's not like a rubber radiator hose going over a stem on a radiator. This has been going on for over a year with JCR informed in June of 2019. He claimed to be working on a solution, said he'd have it to me during the off season but by the middle of March. To date I have received nothing and he's stopped responding to my emails. Frankly pre-sale customer service is easy but a company truly distinguishes itself after-sale and thus far I can only say I've been disappointed and let down.

If you only street drive this securement thing won't be an issue and I suspect you'll be happy with your purchase (speaking only of the silenced pipe). But if you track your car I would not recommend any of JCRs race pipes until they fully implement a better and proven mounting solution.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by krell
I've had a handful of PMs lately asking about my experience with the silenced race pipe from JCR so I figured I'd put those here.

The exhaust does drone between 2.2 - 3k RPM, and especially under light throttle in this range it's pretty bad. I sometimes attempt to keep the car in a lower gear so the RPMs stay above that range, but that's not always reasonable or practical. It does sound fantastic in the higher revs and during quick shifts with PDK - - in fact it does this little "spit" sound during shifts that sounds very much like the RSR and that never fails to put a smile on my face. At the track it's simply incredible but I do wear hearing protection.

My main problem with the unit however is its mechanical design. For some reason Jonny and his team decided to not have a center pick-up point for the center part of the exhaust (it's a two-piece system). Maybe it's due to the chassis resonance someone commented on here but after EVERY track event the exhaust tips have dropped 3-4" and has to be readjusted. The slip-on nature of the design relies solely on the band clamps to keep the two pieces in place but this is an inherently flawed design as you can't compress titanium - - it's not like a rubber radiator hose going over a stem on a radiator. This has been going on for over a year with JCR informed in June of 2019. He claimed to be working on a solution, said he'd have it to me during the off season but by the middle of March. To date I have received nothing and he's stopped responding to my emails. Frankly pre-sale customer service is easy but a company truly distinguishes itself after-sale and thus far I can only say I've been disappointed and let down.

If you only street drive this securement thing won't be an issue and I suspect you'll be happy with your purchase (speaking only of the silenced pipe). But if you track your car I would not recommend any of JCRs race pipes until they fully implement a better and proven mounting solution.

thanks for the input much appreciated. Maybe JCR can chime in???
Old 07-23-2020, 02:06 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a JCR Silenced Race Pipe. Best sound my .2 GT3RS has ever produced, I switched to Dundon due to SCCA sound regulations, the JCR would not pass a 100dB limit measured at 50ft.

For the center piece rotation after long use and the tips dropping a few inches, my fix was easy. I used a pair of band clamps that retain this center JCR piece with the OEM Center muffler bracket (the one bolted to the engine block). It accomplished two things: 1) no longer were the exhaust tips dropping. 2) it almost eliminated a little drone I had in the 2800rpm range. Drone is subjective, the stock exhaust with valves disconnected drones more than the JCR Silenced Race Pipes and my fix.

The Silenced Race Pipes produce such an amazing sound, and they are loud. The straight Race Pipes are too loud for my taste, you can hear the car 2 miles away.

Then I used the Soul Performance Turndowns pipes, but with the turndowns unbolted. This is a nice design by Soul where the tips are built from 2 resonators. JCR has a similar design for the tips as well. Either of these two solutions make the Silenced Race Pipes quieter (actually less loud, they can't be quiet). I ran the JCR with Akrapovic headers and these Akra headers are much louder than the stock ones.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:57 PM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by A/S
I have a JCR Silenced Race Pipe. Best sound my .2 GT3RS has ever produced, I switched to Dundon due to SCCA sound regulations, the JCR would not pass a 100dB limit measured at 50ft.

For the center piece rotation after long use and the tips dropping a few inches, my fix was easy. I used a pair of band clamps that retain this center JCR piece with the OEM Center muffler bracket (the one bolted to the engine block). It accomplished two things: 1) no longer were the exhaust tips dropping. 2) it almost eliminated a little drone I had in the 2800rpm range. Drone is subjective, the stock exhaust with valves disconnected drones more than the JCR Silenced Race Pipes and my fix.

The Silenced Race Pipes produce such an amazing sound, and they are loud. The straight Race Pipes are too loud for my taste, you can hear the car 2 miles away.

Then I used the Soul Performance Turndowns pipes, but with the turndowns unbolted. This is a nice design by Soul where the tips are built from 2 resonators. JCR has a similar design for the tips as well. Either of these two solutions make the Silenced Race Pipes quieter (actually less loud, they can't be quiet). I ran the JCR with Akrapovic headers and these Akra headers are much louder than the stock ones.

it would be nice if JCR would cone up with the solution and include it with their product. Only thing holding me back right now. I Don’t think I should have to come up with my own fix on a $4000+ system.

Quick Reply: JCR Race Pipe Vs Soul Modular System: the good, bad and ugly