Sponsored by:

new in the GT3 market....help understanding the .1

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 01:21 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts
Default new in the GT3 market....help understanding the .1

so I am leaning toward a .1 GT3 (was going to a turbo) since I sold my C2S. I have been reading what I can find on the 14 recalls, and am looking for some opinions & clarification.
My understanding is:
- buyback cars got the new motors, but now have a lemon title? Will banks touch these?
- cars who's owners kept and got the new warranty motors are clean title cars?

Any options on these? Seems to be a hell of a deal on some of these out there
Old 07-16-2020, 01:33 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

there are some other threads on this. but from what I understand Porsche did buy back certain cars because of either excessive downtime or maybe the owner didn't want a car that had a motor replaced because it was seen as 'damaged goods'.

People get their motors replaced all the time under warranty from other brands (BMW spun crankhub for instance) and the title remains clean. Porsche did give these guys an extended 10 year warranty.

991.1 GT3s with the extended warranty are probably the best value right now if you don't want a manual.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:47 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
so I am leaning toward a .1 GT3 (was going to a turbo) since I sold my C2S. I have been reading what I can find on the 14 recalls, and am looking for some opinions & clarification.
My understanding is:
- buyback cars got the new motors, but now have a lemon title? Will banks touch these?

Any options on these? Seems to be a hell of a deal on some of these out there
The 991.1 GT3 is the best deal ever to get into a Porsche GT car. You get a 10 year-120,000 warranty on the engine from the date of the first purchase.If you buy CPO from a dealer, you can also buy an additional private service-warranty contract for more time. I daily drive and do 3-5 track events per year with mine and love it. At 34,000+ miles, mine runs like new. While the 991.2 and upcoming 992 will be faster, few owners other than professional racers are capable of driving any GT3 to its full potential anyway. For that matter few people are capable of driving a Honda Accord to its full potential. Think about it, could Lewis Hamilton drive a faster lap in a Honda Accord that you can? If so, you can't drive that car to it's full potential.
The following 4 users liked this post by parkerfe:
911-140.6 (07-16-2020), bogey1 (07-16-2020), RDCR (07-16-2020), stephen k (07-21-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 01:53 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

I had 43k miles on mine, engine failed at 37k and was replaced under warranty. Zero issues other than that,. The branded title cars will sell for ~10% less than clean title cars. Your bank may or may not be willing to offer a loan on a branded title car, every bank is different. The branded title car will be much tougher to sell later on though.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:59 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

[QUOTE=
[/QUOTE]

There is one other scenario - late model year 2014 cars that did not have the motor replaced. My car was a 7/14 build (almost a 2015), and has never had the motor touched after 19k miles.

John
Old 07-16-2020, 05:13 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by avusm3
There is one other scenario - late model year 2014 cars that did not have the motor replaced. My car was a 7/14 build (almost a 2015), and has never had the motor touched after 19k miles.

John
Does this summarize the 2014's?
2014 cars - delivered than recalled, you could have the car fixed or give it back to Porsche. If Porsche took it back, fixed it and resold it, the title is tarnished.
2014 cars - held back from delivery and engine updated before ever being delivered to a customer
2014 cars - end of run that were built with the update from the factory

Also about the guy saying only pros can extract the full potential out of these cars...that's not correct. There are a lot of capable amateurs that can extract all of the performance out of a stock GT3 or Accord. Many times we also exceed it's potential, ha. Turning a fast lap and and racing it against 25 other cars over 2 hours is not the same thing. Most advanced amateurs are extracting 90-100% of a GT3's potential on track day. For example, Josh Bilicki, a Nascar driver, ok hold the Nascar jokes, drove a 2:29 at Road America in a stock GT3 on Sport Cup 2's, There are plenty of guys running in the 2:30's. Using that logic, 50% of the car's potential would have you lapping the track at 3:43 seconds and 90% has you lapping in the low 2:50's, which is over 20s slower.
Unless there is some deficit or significant lack of talent, you too can work your way up to driving a GT3 to it's full potential. Going pro is a whole different ball game or should I say a different type of race....

To the OP, the cars are solid, you can't go wrong.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:20 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

So the later production cars received an update prior to delivery? So those cars would be as new, no warranty, no buy back? I assume these bad and good versions could be identified by engine #?
Old 07-16-2020, 05:49 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 3Series
Does this summarize the 2014's?
2014 cars - delivered than recalled, you could have the car fixed or give it back to Porsche. If Porsche took it back, fixed it and resold it, the title is tarnished.
2014 cars - held back from delivery and engine updated before ever being delivered to a customer
2014 cars - end of run that were built with the update from the factory

Also about the guy saying only pros can extract the full potential out of these cars...that's not correct. There are a lot of capable amateurs that can extract all of the performance out of a stock GT3 or Accord. Many times we also exceed it's potential, ha. Turning a fast lap and and racing it against 25 other cars over 2 hours is not the same thing. Most advanced amateurs are extracting 90-100% of a GT3's potential on track day. For example, Josh Bilicki, a Nascar driver, ok hold the Nascar jokes, drove a 2:29 at Road America in a stock GT3 on Sport Cup 2's, There are plenty of guys running in the 2:30's. Using that logic, 50% of the car's potential would have you lapping the track at 3:43 seconds and 90% has you lapping in the low 2:50's, which is over 20s slower.
Unless there is some deficit or significant lack of talent, you too can work your way up to driving a GT3 to it's full potential. Going pro is a whole different ball game or should I say a different type of race....

To the OP, the cars are solid, you can't go wrong.
Do you really believe you and/or other amateurs and "plenty of guys" could turn a competitive lap time at a track event in your own car compared to what a Lewis Hamilton or other top driver could in your car or in a Honda Accord?

Last edited by parkerfe; 07-16-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:04 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Do you really believe you and/or other amateurs and "plenty of guys" could turn a competitive lap time at a track event in your own car compared to what a Lewis Hamilton or other top driver could in your car or in a Honda Accord?
LOL! Come on parkerfe! You make it sound like we’re all a bunch of idiots that don’t know the gas pedal is on right. I know plenty of guys that can ride a line and get a good lap time - me included. Now racing strategy, knowledge and experience is a whole different ballgame than the weekend warrior that just has to deal with slow Mo in front of him. I’m looking to get a .1 GT3 as well because It is a great deal and I know that with the right mods and setup I can row by the average track driver in his .2 GT3.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:57 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
So the later production cars received an update prior to delivery? So those cars would be as new, no warranty, no buy back? I assume these bad and good versions could be identified by engine #?
Back in 2014 when the stop sale occurred we described classes of cars. There were delivered cars which had to be parked and eventually had engine swaps with some bought back. A few cars were held at port or dealer and not delivered which also had engine swaps. A few were held at the factory and got revised engines before shipping. The lowest class was cars with locked specs but not yet in production, these cars were built as 2015 (F). At that time the issue was connecting rod bolts. As an aside there were varying levels of compensation for loss of use/delay.

Later, the finger follower wear issue arose and that lead to the additional warranty on internal engine components for 10yr/120kmi for all 991.1GT3 2014, 15, 16. A typical 2014 E car will have less than 4 yr remaining on the engine warranty. Still a pretty good deal.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:14 PM
iczer34
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the many reasons I bought my .1 GT3 was because of the CPO and extended engine warranty. Speaking of which, i'll be listing mine over the weekend!
Old 07-16-2020, 09:19 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Back in 2014 when the stop sale occurred we described classes of cars. There were delivered cars which had to be parked and eventually had engine swaps with some bought back. A few cars were held at port or dealer and not delivered which also had engine swaps. A few were held at the factory and got revised engines before shipping. The lowest class was cars with locked specs but not yet in production, these cars were built as 2015 (F). At that time the issue was connecting rod bolts. As an aside there were varying levels of compensation for loss of use/delay.

Later, the finger follower wear issue arose and that lead to the additional warranty on internal engine components for 10yr/120kmi for all 991.1GT3 2014, 15, 16. A typical 2014 E car will have less than 4 yr remaining on the engine warranty. Still a pretty good deal.
So the 2015s had updated engines that still may or may not have FF issue? What do you mean by lowest class?

I’m looking for a .1RS or .2gt3 but the deals on these .1gt3 are really good. I might consider one if I fully understand the risk I’m taking.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:22 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Originally Posted by zedcat

I have seen some with the G motor replacement, and some later 14s with the E motor (assume its been fixed because it was a late production?). Are the late year E motors good? Or would find8ng a car with a repalced mptor be better?
Old 07-16-2020, 09:32 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

Just under 2 years ago I test drove a 2015 with 108K miles on the original F motor. I didn't end up buying it but it drove exactly the same as my 2015 did when I got it with 12K miles. The drama is over and gone with these cars IMHO.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:34 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f
So the 2015s had updated engines that still may or may not have FF issue? What do you mean by lowest class?

I’m looking for a .1RS or .2gt3 but the deals on these .1gt3 are really good. I might consider one if I fully understand the risk I’m taking.

Poor word choice on my part- lowest meaning least impacted by the stop sale. And we got the least compensation for delay.

Quite a few 2015 F cars have had engines replaced for the FF issue. Only Porsche know the true number. I'm not sure of the 16s as there were not that many produced, but all are covered by the additional warranty.

Quick Reply: new in the GT3 market....help understanding the .1