Sponsored by:

So many WTF's. White .2-3RS owner just approached me,

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:39 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 298 Posts
Default So many WTF's. White .2-3RS owner just approached me,

masked up, with young child in car, to ask if I want to sell my Carrera T.
I responded with no, but thank you. Guy then comes back with how he's trying to sell the RS but can't. Or trade it but he can't find any Carrera T's. I say why Carrera T? He says, because he doesn't track the car and wants a manual. But here is where it gets odd, the car has a cage in it? He said he's the original owner. My car has 4000 miles which I think he said was similar mileage. So he then says, would you trade cars straight up? I said, I probably would yeah.

Why would someone buy an RS who doesn't track? Why would someone put a cage in that doesn't track? And then want to rid it so badly as to trade for a car worth 50k less, if not more.

I like my car and I would be in the same position as the current RS owner, in that I would hope to sell and buy a Carrera T again. I couldn't daily the RS because around the Tri state I pick up screws a fair amount and always need the space saver spare in the frunk. Never an issue of value, clearance, worry, simply the darn centerlock spare dilemma.

In a covid age I'm thinking the hassle might not be worth it. I like my current car for my needs a great deal. The guy could also not be as committed to losing his *** as he seemed. He looked honest though. Kid didn't look to be suffering.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:44 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

People put cages in the car all the time and don’t track it. They just want the look

other than that it sounds very very shady. When something is too good to be true it usually is....he obviously has no clue what he is doing....
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:01 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

I had a Carrera T and have had 9 GT cars. I still regret selling the T. Manual and perfect in every way.

There is a reason why they are going up in value.
rosenbergendo (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
People put cages in the car all the time and don’t track it. They just want the look

other than that it sounds very very shady. When something is too good to be true it usually is....he obviously has no clue what he is doing....
Agree

I would trade the Guy straight up and then sell the RS. Have no idea what he is smoking.

There will be other iterations of the Carrera T so I would not worry. And in Porsche fashion it will best the previous one.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:19 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Agree

I would trade the Guy straight up and then sell the RS. Have no idea what he is smoking.

There will be other iterations of the Carrera T so I would not worry. And in Porsche fashion it will best the previous one.

I don’t think so. The 992 is far too digital to pull off what the T is about.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:35 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

I think it's safe to say most GT cars rarely or never make it to the track. Many buy them for their 'big dog' status, looks, sound, and potential to not lose $$ as fast as a normal 911. Cages, exhausts, aftermarket wheels, etc. are all added later to enhance the former.

The RS guy you ran into is either a complete idiot if he is so easily willing to take a $50k+ dive or there is something wrong with his RS (i.e. recent crash, stolen). Sounds too good to be true.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:40 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I don’t think so. The 992 is far too digital to pull off what the T is about.
I guess that this would also apply to future GT3/RS/GT2/ect.
smiles11 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:12 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Lol, so many assumptions here.. talk is cheap, trade him, no brainer.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:17 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with him to a Porsche dealer to "have a look" at his car. Have them check the VIN and car to see if he's legit. If he is, that's your lucky day.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:46 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

@Ceepe maybe he thought you were driving a touring
Old 07-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 298 Posts

Exactly. Not sure why or how one lands on C-T over 3T. That said, I had a .2 GT3 prior to Carrera T and got over the loss of the delicious 4.0.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:16 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
masked up, with young child in car, to ask if I want to sell my Carrera T.
I responded with no, but thank you. Guy then comes back with how he's trying to sell the RS but can't. Or trade it but he can't find any Carrera T's. I say why Carrera T? He says, because he doesn't track the car and wants a manual. But here is where it gets odd, the car has a cage in it? He said he's the original owner. My car has 4000 miles which I think he said was similar mileage. So he then says, would you trade cars straight up? I said, I probably would yeah.
Why would someone buy an RS who doesn't track? Why would someone put a cage in that doesn't track? And then want to rid it so badly as to trade for a car worth 50k less, if not more.
I like my car and I would be in the same position as the current RS owner, in that I would hope to sell and buy a Carrera T again. I couldn't daily the RS because around the Tri state I pick up screws a fair amount and always need the space saver spare in the frunk. Never an issue of value, clearance, worry, simply the darn centerlock spare dilemma.
In a covid age I'm thinking the hassle might not be worth it. I like my current car for my needs a great deal. The guy could also not be as committed to losing his *** as he seemed. He looked honest though. Kid didn't look to be suffering.
Makes no sense. You can find Carrera T's at dealers across the country and the net difference is $50k+. I don't know about you, but for a lot of folks, I'd go through the week or two of hassles to make $50k on this transaction. So in reality this post is dumb.

Straight face, just tell the guy to meet you at the DMV on specific date with the title and swap. Then drive away, don't even bother to ask for books or extra keys....lol
paddlefoot64 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 01:23 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

gotta get the cage for the cars and coffee flex.

yes this seems very odd. i'm not sure why he wouldn't just trade into a dealer for cash (cant be that bad can it?) and just wait for a T to pop up. There is probably something wrong with the car.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:28 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

OK- don't jump into a deal without due diligence. It's quite possible the car has track damage (body work) that will never show up on Carfax. If he's serious, do a CPI then if OK, take it to a high end body shop to have them inspect for signs of damage and repair. In fairness you can put your car through the same process. I would write up the deal with the contingency being that both cars have no issues in both inspections.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2020, 03:10 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
OK- don't jump into a deal without due diligence. It's quite possible the car has track damage (body work) that will never show up on Carfax. If he's serious, do a CPI then if OK, take it to a high end body shop to have them inspect for signs of damage and repair. In fairness you can put your car through the same process. I would write up the deal with the contingency being that both cars have no issues in both inspections.

Good luck!
I know we are just BS'ing and full of hypotheticals, but my buddy spent $18k to repair his GT3 rear driver side quarter and driver side door, wheel and some suspension components after a crash at Road America. $50k in damage is pretty darn high. My point is that even if there was a lot of damage, it's still worth more than a no story T on trade in. There are plenty of folks, including me that would buy a beatup RS as a track car if the price was low enough. $100k for a RS with stories sound good to me. But I hear you about doing your due diligence.

Think of a beatup RS as a nice alternative to a Clubsport. A lot of street car components to keep operating costs low with close to Cup Car performance without that maintenance cost.

Quick Reply: So many WTF's. White .2-3RS owner just approached me,