Sponsored by:

Center of Gravity of Speedster vs regular GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 12:50 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Center of Gravity of Speedster vs regular GT3

I always wondered but never able to find a comprehensive listing of CG of various cars, sometimes Car and Driver has it when they test a car but they don't test all the cars out there and you have to go through every article to locate the information.
So does the Speedster has lower CG than a regular GT3 when the roof is down? The CF roof and rear glass are now gone and would that improve driving dynamics and make up for the hundred pounds heavier weight?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
I always wondered but never able to find a comprehensive listing of CG of various cars, sometimes Car and Driver has it when they test a car but they don't test all the cars out there and you have to go through every article to locate the information.
So does the Speedster has lower CG than a regular GT3 when the roof is down? The CF roof and rear glass are now gone and would that improve driving dynamics and make up for the hundred pounds heavier weight?
I think the CG should be slightly lower for the reasons you give and also a tad because of the shorter A-pillars and lower and smaller windshield. However, I doubt it would compensate for a 100 pound overall weight increase (certainly that weight penalty will be in full effect in a straight line). My guess is that it could conceivably benefit in a transitional turn, but I bet the loss of torsional rigidity makes a bigger negative difference than the gain from lowering CG slightly. I think you just have to be happy with the open motoring aspect (don't think there is a performance benefit in any aspect, aside from the 10hp bump).
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (07-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Center of Gravity of Speedster vs regular GT3