Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agreed value insurance without driving restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 02:15 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MWA1977
As I mentioned in another thread. I have One car (a 19’ RS) insured with Grundy, just one car. Never was an issue, nor was I told I needed three cars to insure with them. Haggerty and Chubb were my alternates. Only reason I didn’t choose them was because I got the coverage I needed from Grundy for $1000-$1500 cheaper. If I were to insure 2 or more exotics/collectors, Haggerty was the clear winner as the price was significantly cheaper based on my intended uses of the vehicles. The 3 insurers above had “agreed value quotes” that ranged from $3-4800 a year. I am 43 and live in the highest per capita county of MVC in the state of Texas. I have 3 other ”daily’s” that are insured with a run of the mill carrier.

I don’t think you are going to find an “agreed value policy” that has ZERO restrictions. Talk about a high risk low reward for the insurance carrier. They are in it to make money. They would likely charge an astronomical price for something like that. Plus, give the increased risk of daily use, no restrictions, increased mileage, wear and tear on your vehicle, I would think your “agreed value” would have to be re-evaluated quarterly or semi-annually.

“Perceived risk” requires a price......
Grundy only requires you to have 3 cars total covered across all insurers, not 3 cars insured with them, but I only have 2 cars so they aren't an option. I have seen people in older posts I searched saying they have agreed value with no restrictions so it is out there somewhere, just a matter of finding it and being available in my state. Some people mentioned State Farm but they told me they only do classic cars over 25 years old for agreed value, could be a state thing.

The price shouldn't be astronomical - in theory, you are only paying for the difference between what actual cash value would potentially pay and what an agreed value policy would definitely pay. For example, if I paid $100k for my car but it gets totaled and they tell me actual cash value is $115k, having a $120k agreed value policy only nets an extra $5k payout. This results in an odd market dynamic where if you have a high mile lower priced car you are more "protected" against the pitfalls of actual cash value since the closest comps will generally be higher, while if you have a low mile high value car, you have much more exposure. I'd prefer to have an agreed value so I don't have to worry about it, but not at the expense of not being able to drive the car wherever I want.

When my Cayenne was totaled 3 months after I bought it, the actual cash value the policy paid was a few thousand more than I paid for the car. They also reimbursed the sales tax that I paid which was surprising. I don't think an agreed value policy does that.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Grundy only requires you to have 3 cars total covered across all insurers, not 3 cars insured with them, but I only have 2 cars so they aren't an option. I have seen people in older posts I searched saying they have agreed value with no restrictions so it is out there somewhere, just a matter of finding it and being available in my state. Some people mentioned State Farm but they told me they only do classic cars over 25 years old for agreed value, could be a state thing.

The price shouldn't be astronomical - in theory, you are only paying for the difference between what actual cash value would potentially pay and what an agreed value policy would definitely pay. For example, if I paid $100k for my car but it gets totaled and they tell me actual cash value is $115k, having a $120k agreed value policy only nets an extra $5k payout. This results in an odd market dynamic where if you have a high mile lower priced car you are more "protected" against the pitfalls of actual cash value since the closest comps will generally be higher, while if you have a low mile high value car, you have much more exposure. I'd prefer to have an agreed value so I don't have to worry about it, but not at the expense of not being able to drive the car wherever I want.

When my Cayenne was totaled 3 months after I bought it, the actual cash value the policy paid was a few thousand more than I paid for the car. They also reimbursed the sales tax that I paid which was surprising. I don't think an agreed value policy does that.
NO offense but I think you are WAY WAY overthinking this....and/or, as you have repeatedly said yourself, looking for something that really doesn't exist perhaps.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:18 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

The person I spoke with at Hagerty said they generally aren't too keen on exotics because of the high repair costs for damaged parts. What car(s) do you have with them and which policy did you end up with? I wasn't able to get anywhere with them.

What company were you able to find that with? That's what I am looking for.
PM me.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-10-2020, 12:20 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

The person I spoke with at Hagerty said they generally aren't too keen on exotics because of the high repair costs for damaged parts. What car(s) do you have with them and which policy did you end up with? I wasn't able to get anywhere with them.​​​​​​​What company were you able to find that with? That's what I am looking for.
PM me and I'll shoot you my broker that hooked me up with it. I see Expert Collector - Classic Car Policy on my docs. I have had several different gt2/3/rs on it before, including 991 gen. Currently I have a CGT, 997rs and 69-911. I just dropped a 991.2-3rs (and a few others) from the policy recently that I sold.

My hagerty person does nothing but exotic/classic collectors. You are just talking to the wrong people imo.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:52 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

If a policy doesn’t cover track use, shouldn’t track mileage be excluded from the insured mileage?
Old 07-10-2020, 04:05 AM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

I used Grundy for my 458. When I got the car at 30 i had it insured for 200k. 3000 mile a year. 2500 a year for coverage. I have a beater insured through Geico with just liability on it. I have my f80 m3 with Grundy as well for and it's like 600 a year.

But even when I just did 2 cars ( 458 + 335i) they still insured me as long as one of the cars was with a major carrier.

I'll have to double check on the policy. The agent told me occasional work use is fine... ? And I would assume canyon carving is "leisure use".
Old 03-16-2021, 01:29 PM
bubbledragon
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Last edited by bubbledragon; 03-16-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Agreed value insurance without driving restrictions?