Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agreed value insurance without driving restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:34 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
I spoke to someone local to me (MI) who recommended Grundy's VIP program. He said VIP program was the key, and he was not restricted as long as he had an assigned daily; he did have 3 cars insured, so maybe 3 is the number. I'm looking for 2 like you. From your search, was Grundy okay with daily driving as long as 3 cars were insured?
I didn’t bother to ask since I don’t have 3 cars and probably never will. Their website doesn’t make it sound like there’s driving restrictions like some of the others but the policy details are key. They may have restrictions on cars valued over a certain amount.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:36 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
Hagerty asked me how much I wanted to drive and I told them 5k per year. They were fine with that and seemed lax about going even higher...
Hagerty specifically told me they don’t allow more than 2500 miles per year for exotics and usage is restricted to collector car activities. What does your policy details state about usage for daily activities?
Old 07-08-2020, 09:37 PM
achenator
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
I didn’t bother to ask since I don’t have 3 cars and probably never will. Their website doesn’t make it sound like there’s driving restrictions like some of the others but the policy details are key. They may have restrictions on cars valued over a certain amount.
Although we do have another car for every driver in my home too. there are more cars than drivers and it can be proven it's not anyone's PRIMARY vehicle.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by achenator
Although we do have another car for every driver in my home too. there are more cars than drivers and it can be proven it's not anyone's PRIMARY vehicle.
Mine says under "we expect that the vehicles insured under this policy are:

used PRIMARILY for occasional pleasure use. We define this as activities consistent with or related to participation in shows. car club events blah blah. Lesiure pleasure events does not include incedental driving to work unless policy is endorsed as such;

not anyone's principal means of transportation. This means the PRIMARY purpose is not for general transportation errands or shopping"

There are many uses of PRIMARY in my policy.

The did make me sign a waiver that the car would not be covered in any track type event IIRC.
That is the same type of language I have seen in all of the policies I've looked at. Ask them what happens if someone hits your car in a grocery store parking lot.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:44 PM
achenator
Racer

That is the same type of language I have seen in all of the policies I've looked at. Ask them what happens if someone hits your car in a grocery store parking lot.
So which is it? one point you say the most important is what's in writing and then next you say it's what they tell you is more important. I would think that ANY of this type of policy would have similar language. My policy doesn't say "NOT EVER" it says "PRIMARY". If you're so worried about it call the gecko. Do you have more cars than drivers in your household? To me, and from talking-to them, that's what they consider most important
Old 07-08-2020, 09:48 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

So which is it? one point you say the most important is what's in writing and then next you say it's what they tell you is more important. I would think that ANY of this type of policy would have similar language. My policy doesn't say "NOT EVER" it says "PRIMARY". If you're so worried about it call the gecko. Do you have more cars than drivers in your household? To me, and from talking-to them, that's what they consider most important
I live by myself, no other drivers here, one daily driver plus the FF (which may become one). What's in writing in your policy alludes to the fact that they can deny a claim if the car has an accident in any place that is not "point A to point A" driving. I have my insurance with the gecko right now, couldn't find any policies even close to the price they have. GEICO $150/mo for FF with max coverage limits and $1k deductible, every other company was at least double the price, some were 3-4x the price. GEICO has no usage or mileage restrictions, but they pay actual cash value in the event of a totaled car. I'm looking for an agreed value policy without any of these limitations as it is simply not worth the risk of a denied claim for a car I plan to drive a lot (unlimited mileage warranty ftw). Haven't been able to find one yet.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Hagerty specifically told me they don’t allow more than 2500 miles per year for exotics and usage is restricted to collector car activities. What does your policy details state about usage for daily activities?
I have Classic instead of Exotic policy , if that matters
Old 07-08-2020, 10:02 PM
achenator
Racer

What's in writing in your policy alludes to the fact that they can deny a claim if the car has an accident in any place that is not "point A to point A" driving. I have my insurance with the gecko right now, couldn't find any policies even close to the price they have. GEICO $150/mo for FF with max coverage limits and $1k deductible, every other company was at least double the price, some were 3-4x the price. GEICO has no usage or mileage restrictions, but they pay actual cash value in the event of a totaled car. I'm looking for an agreed value policy without any of these limitations as it is simply not worth the risk of a denied claim for a car I plan to drive a lot (unlimited mileage warranty ftw). Haven't been able to find one yet.
I didn't ask the specific grocery store question and maybe I will. They did express to me when I bought the policy that the having more cars was most important. That way you wouldn't be forced to take it out in inclement weather etc and generally put it at higher risk. Further in my policy it even states that it's covered "in transit to or from, in attendance at, or located at the lodging of the named insured during over night exhibitions, shows club activities, leisure pleasure drives, parades" . We all accept different levels of risk and i'll take mine with all the PRIMARY language. The even wanted proof of what my other vehicles were that they were modern so that I wasn't just insuring a ****box and going to drive their insured car most of the time.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

The general rule is you need one daily driver on a normal insurance policy for each driver in the household. That pretty standard for every limited use policy I have seen.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:36 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ClassJ
The general rule is you need one daily driver on a normal insurance policy for each driver in the household. That pretty standard for every limited use policy I have seen.
I have another DD. I’m not looking for limited use, I’m looking for agreed value with no usage restrictions. Apparently this doesn’t exist?
Old 07-09-2020, 12:31 AM
MWA1977
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

As I mentioned in another thread. I have One car (a 19’ RS) insured with Grundy, just one car. Never was an issue, nor was I told I needed three cars to insure with them. Haggerty and Chubb were my alternates. Only reason I didn’t choose them was because I got the coverage I needed from Grundy for $1000-$1500 cheaper. If I were to insure 2 or more exotics/collectors, Haggerty was the clear winner as the price was significantly cheaper based on my intended uses of the vehicles. The 3 insurers above had “agreed value quotes” that ranged from $3-4800 a year. I am 43 and live in the highest per capita county of MVC in the state of Texas. I have 3 other ”daily’s” that are insured with a run of the mill carrier.

I don’t think you are going to find an “agreed value policy” that has ZERO restrictions. Talk about a high risk low reward for the insurance carrier. They are in it to make money. They would likely charge an astronomical price for something like that. Plus, give the increased risk of daily use, no restrictions, increased mileage, wear and tear on your vehicle, I would think your “agreed value” would have to be re-evaluated quarterly or semi-annually.

“Perceived risk” requires a price......
Old 07-09-2020, 06:59 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Do you have two other cars insured through a different company?

also read your policy. It doesn’t cover daily use activities. Park it outside a store and someone hits your car? Not covered.
correct I do. I guess I just glossed it over when they wrote the policy. I had 2 cars with them and 2 others with BH. They wanted to restrict to 2500 miles and I got 4,000.

^^^MWA. He's not saying you need to insure 3 cars with Grundy, you don't. You just need to have 2 other vehicles

Last edited by shapiroeric; 07-09-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I have a traditional insurance policy for the GT3, which has agreed value with a $1,500 deductible and a rider that covers it for HPDE use on a race track.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Certain Hagerty policies; I have a different policy than the one you are referencing. But they do have different policies. I never got what I wanted when I called Hagerty direct. But my broker introduced me to a policy there that does not have the restrictions you mention.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:10 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Certain Hagerty policies; I have a different policy than the one you are referencing. But they do have different policies. I never got what I wanted when I called Hagerty direct. But my broker introduced me to a policy there that does not have the restrictions you mention.
The person I spoke with at Hagerty said they generally aren't too keen on exotics because of the high repair costs for damaged parts. What car(s) do you have with them and which policy did you end up with? I wasn't able to get anywhere with them.

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I have a traditional insurance policy for the GT3, which has agreed value with a $1,500 deductible and a rider that covers it for HPDE use on a race track.
​​​​​​​What company were you able to find that with? That's what I am looking for.

Quick Reply: Agreed value insurance without driving restrictions?