Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy from Penske

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 02:25 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy from Penske

Put a deposit on a speedster at Porsche of Fairfield Ct. out of town for 10 days, conditional upon seeing the car on 6/22 never sat in one never saw the color in person. Took a look at current pricing and with the help of a few rennlisters & looking at the market. It seemed they were a little high at $40k over sent the rep a few links of PTS cars close to list. He told me no worries he would cancel my order. The Sales manger calls and says he would really like to sell me the car advises me to call a few other dealers to find out true market value.Told him I would and would still be in to see the car 6/22. Lost his cell sent him a few e=mails and a VM he doesn't call back for a two days. Then replies they wont hold the car till Monday to view, they have a few others in line if it sells he will call me to avoid me wasting a trip. Pressure tactic

In looking around found a better equipped PTS car at Porsche West Broward, the service guys have always been great here, bought the car on Thursday no pressure easy transaction. Tell the rep at Fairfield same they call me back and encourage me to come in to still see the car they would now hold it.

Both Penske dealers way different sales approaches.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:29 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

40k over? What is this? January?

Its an MSRP car at best. if they can get 40k over, good for them. Wont happen. Take your time and I guarantee you the car will be there at the end of the week. And if its sold, you just saved a ton of money as its not a rare car to find.

Good luck on the hunt.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 04:21 PM
psychlox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm going to go with not buy from any Penske dealership.

The last time I purchased a car from them, I had to get my attorney and the Connecticut Attorney General involved.

DM me if you'd like details... or if people want, I'd be happy to post them here. Not sure what's appropriate.
rwm (06-26-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 04:31 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 244 Posts

I'll give a +1 for Porsche West Broward, which is where it looks like the OP bought his Speedster, and is also a Penske dealership.

Bought my Touring there.....began the conversation over the phone for a couple weeks. Sales adviser super responsive without being overly pushy (would randomly text me pics of the car sitting in the showroom, which I found to be solid subtle sales tactic). Decided to pull the trigger the after being in town for business and seeing the car in the dealership, and the business manager was really good to work (was deciding on tire protection plan and he encouraged me to call my local service adviser in Charlotte to verify the warranty worked the way he explained it after I complained about a bad experience with a different dealer who sold me a 3rd party plan).

I thought everything was very transparent compared to most dealer interactions, and I'm a very cynical person.

Last edited by atlrvr; 06-22-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:04 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

Any advice on Porsche North Scottsdale? I believe they are a Penske dealer. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:17 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Any advice on Porsche North Scottsdale? I believe they are a Penske dealer. Thank you in advance.
I had a really bad experience with them. But I know others are happy. Super arrogant but that’s my personal experience. I would never buy from them again willingly.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:44 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Kyrocks, pm CREK here on RL. He has bought from Penske Scottsdale and had a terrible transaction. I have a friend that worked for them and said many of their preowned cars have "stories" that are never shared w/ buyers.
kyrocks (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 11:38 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rop3
Put a deposit on a speedster at Porsche of Fairfield Ct. out of town for 10 days, conditional upon seeing the car on 6/22 never sat in one never saw the color in person. Took a look at current pricing and with the help of a few rennlisters & looking at the market. It seemed they were a little high at $40k over sent the rep a few links of PTS cars close to list. He told me no worries he would cancel my order. The Sales manger calls and says he would really like to sell me the car advises me to call a few other dealers to find out true market value.Told him I would and would still be in to see the car 6/22. Lost his cell sent him a few e=mails and a VM he doesn't call back for a two days. Then replies they wont hold the car till Monday to view, they have a few others in line if it sells he will call me to avoid me wasting a trip. Pressure tactic

In looking around found a better equipped PTS car at Porsche West Broward, the service guys have always been great here, bought the car on Thursday no pressure easy transaction. Tell the rep at Fairfield same they call me back and encourage me to come in to still see the car they would now hold it.

Enjoy the speedster! It’s a truly special car. Interesting re your experience with Fairfield. FWIW my experience with Fairfield has been the opposite of what you describe. I actually moved my business to them because I felt they were more “straight shooters” than Manhattan and Larchmont (which are far more convenient for me to get to). Even though I have purchase history at the other dealerships, ive found Fairfield to be easier to deal with and drama-free which is what I wanted.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:29 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by rop3

they quoted my buddy 358k for that car last week ......did it sell?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:22 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

My buyers order was contingent upon me getting into Town between 6/22-6/24 the sales rep at initial call said he was surprised the car was still in the showroom. Arrogant for sure, when I questioned the cost they simply said they would remove my name from the car. Then the Sales manger called and sent an e-mail "I have a second buyer for the car behind you. If you insist that this is not the car or price for you I understand, and I will not ask you again. I would be more than happy to try and help with another future purchase. But, if you’re on the fence and you love the car, then we can hold it until you get in next week. The deal can be contingent to a physical inspection by you". It was contingent all along.

Reach out to him 6/7 times over next two days letting him know I would be there, he never gets back to me but made it seem urgent initially, so I assume he sold the car.

He then replies " Let’s plan to see you Monday, if the car sells between today and then I will let you know so you don’t waste time coming up". Now he changes it up and applies the pressure to force a decision site unseen with the credit done and the buyers order signed.???

They quoted your Buddy $358k last week, I rest my case. But yes West Broward the Epitome of class, service Shawn is great, My sales guy Daniel excellent, same for the business manager Atif. All easy to work with no attitude, they care.

Penske is huge I believe they own the dealership in Stuttgart, with that size and the amount of personnel you will get some good and some bad. In the end this worked out best for me a better equipped car at the fair market price untitled also unlike the CT car.

For what its worth the GM has reached out to me and is concerned about the situation hopefully they will make some management tweaks. Not trying to trash them really, but I just think at this level it shouldn't work this way with undue pressure.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:21 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

I am actually surprised to read this. I have purchased 3 cars from them in the past year, and all have been low pressure / easy experiences. I did purchase my Speedster from them, and that process involved being a bit more decisive, in a shorter time period, as there really aren’t that many of them out there. I have also referred a few friends to them who have utilized other Porsche dealerships in the past. Their feedback is that they won’t go anywhere else but Porsche Fairfield. We deal directly with the GM, and Finance manager. They are great people.

I have seen your posts with regards to this matter. I read your comments thinking that this transaction cannot have flipped in the manner described, especially knowing them as well as I do. You blast them for not holding the car until 6/22, until you put physically saw it, while announcing to us all on Rennlist that you bought a different car last week. Above in the highlighted blue excerpt, it appears that they state that they will hold it until your intended return on 6/22 - 6/24.

For what it’s worth, I have purchased 3 other low mileage cars, sight unseen from different dealers as well. I did not delay the process with needing to see the car in person, as they were in the same low mileage condition as the Fairfield speedster. There are many of us on Rennlist that are unbiased 3rd parties that could have put eyes on the car for you. @rshanholtz isn’t a client of Fairfield, as he has a long term relationship with Danbury, and he commented on one of your posts as to seeing the car in person. To me, it appears that you were trying to delay the process as long as possible to decide which speedster you could purchase for the best price.
Therefore, I am questioning your defamatory tactics on a public forum, especially because the past information you shared with the RL community is a bit contradictory.

Regardless, the Irish green car is gorgeous. Enjoy it good health, and put all of this negativity to rest.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:49 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have purchased around a dozen cars from them. My salesman is very mellow and low key. The others I know also seem very nice. The sales managers are great. Service has been exceptional as well. They have gone out of their way to help with some out of warranty repairs. (yes, I have actually kept a couple that long )
Old 06-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Nothing you claim they did was unprofessional. It’s just sales/negotiating. The same thing you were doing by shopping around and setting terms on your conditional offer/interest. Not sure why you were so put off by their behavior other than you didn’t get to dictate price on their car.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:49 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 680 Posts

I have had great experiences with Porsche Fairfield, and terrible experiences with a particular dealer on Long Island. I will definitely be buying my next 911 from them.

Their service department kicks *** as well
Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Everyone will have unique experiences with various dealers. What my experience is will be different from someone else. If you go into a deal with a dealer, with your guard up, anticipating that they are going to try to screw you, when the screwing actually occurs, you will be less frustrated.

Lots of folks have had good experience with Porsche Scottsdale. Me, not so much but that is irrelevant to an individuals experience. I even hesitate to say anything negative about them simply because my experience is irrelevant. Just do your due diligence on a car and dont fall for hard pressure tactics.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy from Penske