Sponsored by:

Buying GT3 with the Engine Replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020 | 02:41 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Definitely not true.

In fact, I own one with the engine that came in it from the factory. Many people do.
actually technically you’re correct. What i meant To say to be more clear - was the first batch of 2014’s manufactured - some got delivered to customers and were then bought back (branded titles). Others were manufactured but held up at factory or port - and they had their engines replaced prior to delivery (They were non branded 2014’s). After that - yes - people received cars e.g. a 2015, with the engine from the factory. My guess is that this car offered for sale has a branded title. Even though it will still have a 10 year engine warranty for the finger followers issue, they generally have lower resale value.
Old 06-23-2020 | 02:47 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11
Were the 16 GT3RS engines effected as well?
they did not get the 10 year warranty - so Porsche would say - no.. and most would agree..
Old 06-23-2020 | 03:23 AM
MacFever
Racer

Originally Posted by rodsky
they did not get the 10 year warranty - so Porsche would say - no.. and most would agree..
They all have the G engine and with a lowered max rev to 8500 they "should" be fine but there are some that say that for the issue of the finger follower there will be an aftermarket fix developped once the 10 year warranty is over
Also for the 991.1 GT3 engine
Old 06-23-2020 | 03:31 AM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MacFever
They all have the G engine and with a lowered max rev to 8500 they "should" be fine but there are some that say that for the issue of the finger follower there will be an aftermarket fix developped once the 10 year warranty is over
Also for the 991.1 GT3 engine
Theoretically you could argue that even after the 10 year warranty ends, anyone with a blown engine is likely to get all or part of the cost of a replacement engine covered by Porsche anyway if the issue was traced back to the same widely known problems. There's no guarantees, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it.
The following users liked this post:
Cay_PI (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020 | 03:59 AM
MacFever
Racer

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Theoretically you could argue that even after the 10 year warranty ends, anyone with a blown engine is likely to get all or part of the cost of a replacement engine covered by Porsche anyway if the issue was traced back to the same widely known problems. There's no guarantees, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it.
Perhaps for the .1 GT3 (will be a hard battle) but not for the .1 GT3 RS nor the 991 R
But like I said there is a definitive fix on the way (not by Porsche)
Old 06-23-2020 | 09:15 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
actually technically you’re correct. What i meant To say to be more clear - was the first batch of 2014’s manufactured - some got delivered to customers and were then bought back (branded titles). Others were manufactured but held up at factory or port - and they had their engines replaced prior to delivery (They were non branded 2014’s). After that - yes - people received cars e.g. a 2015, with the engine from the factory. My guess is that this car offered for sale has a branded title. Even though it will still have a 10 year engine warranty for the finger followers issue, they generally have lower resale value.
Correct.

Sorry to knit pick.

I think the important item to hone in on is which replacement engine the .1 has. If you have the last iteration G-series then it's good to go in my book - but obviously, not all have that one.

I'm with you on the branded title piece - it's a shame to have that cloud hover over a mechanically sound car, but I still wouldn't want to touch one. Unless my goal was to gut it and make it a track car with the most insane warranty ever - then this would be the prime candidate.
Old 06-23-2020 | 10:48 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Correct.

Sorry to knit pick.

I think the important item to hone in on is which replacement engine the .1 has. If you have the last iteration G-series then it's good to go in my book - but obviously, not all have that one.

I'm with you on the branded title piece - it's a shame to have that cloud hover over a mechanically sound car, but I still wouldn't want to touch one. Unless my goal was to gut it and make it a track car with the most insane warranty ever - then this would be the prime candidate.
Spot on.. I would consider a branded car with a replaced G series engine to be a great buy for a keeper. Probably/definitely under $100K and at least 4 years of engine warranty left.. Thrash it with peace of mind..

Old 06-23-2020 | 02:13 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

So is it safe to say. This car is unaffected?

https://www.porschesandiego.com/cert...9758c5a395.htm
Old 06-23-2020 | 02:36 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

So is it safe to say. This car is unaffected?

https://www.porschesandiego.com/cert...9758c5a395.htm
Wow, what a joke that .1 RS's are getting into the $140's

In short, RS's and 911R's aren't impacted. The engines share valvetrain similarities with the earlier GT3 engines; however, lubrication and coating improvements were made to mitigate the problem (which is widely seen in the 2014's and 2015's GT3's).

There's a stickied thread on this forum from the Concerned Owners Group (COG) and the awesome work they did with Porsche to get the .1 GT3 engine warranty which has the official explanation from Porsche.

My personal opinion (take it for what it's worth) - is that all .1 GT engines are flawed; however, the late design iterations on the GT3 (which trickled to the 911R and RS) mitigate the problem enough where you'll get a normal/useful engine life without having to worry about finger follower wear.
Old 06-23-2020 | 02:44 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Wow, what a joke that .1 RS's are getting into the $140's

In short, RS's and 911R's aren't impacted. The engines share valvetrain similarities with the earlier GT3 engines; however, lubrication and coating improvements were made to mitigate the problem (which is widely seen in the 2014's and 2015's GT3's).

There's a stickied thread on this forum from the Concerned Owners Group (COG) and the awesome work they did with Porsche to get the .1 GT3 engine warranty which has the official explanation from Porsche.

My personal opinion (take it for what it's worth) - is that all .1 GT engines are flawed; however, the late design iterations on the GT3 (which trickled to the 911R and RS) mitigate the problem enough where you'll get a normal/useful engine life without having to worry about finger follower wear.
No A/C or radio on this particular RS. I think that's why the price is so low. Not to mention, it was a press fleet car with C&D. I'm sure with that, it's been driven HARD.

It's production sequence is like 3/1248. Built June 1, 2015
Old 06-23-2020 | 02:56 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

No A/C or radio on this particular RS. I think that's why the price is so low.
In 10 years that will be a selling point.

PCM in the .1's will be so dated by then that people will get into their cars and automatically throw-up all over the dash.
Old 06-23-2020 | 03:07 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

In 10 years that will be a selling point.

PCM in the .1's will be so dated by then that people will get into their cars and automatically throw-up all over the dash.
No doubt. That goes with every new generation. However, no A/C? I mean it makes sense for this particular car, as it's track focused. It's just the infamous .1 GT3 engine issues that gives cause to pause. Not to mention, a 992 C2S at the same price point can be used everyday, and might actually track faster than a .1 GT3RS.

I think the biggest reason it's so cheap is the press car aspect.

Just a few things I'm trying to think of that would keep this car on the lot so long. It's been there for several months now.
Old 06-23-2020 | 04:58 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Branded title definitely impacts the value and is undesirable. It should be noted, that the title branding occurs if the car is bought back. Warranty work and repairs will never brand a car on its own.

Quick Reply: Buying GT3 with the Engine Replaced?