Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020 | 12:15 AM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

From: 21620 Ridgetop Circle, Suite 190, Sterling VA 20166
Thumbs up KLINE Full Exhaust suit dev

Good evening everyone, Wanted to share the journey with you as we work with Kline to develop an Exhaust suit for the 991.2 GT3/ GT3 Touring. We recently (yesterday
march 9nth) pulled the entire exhaust system off a clients Miami Blue GT3 (manual trans) and prepared it for shipping to our buddies at Kline innovation in Romania. Once we had everything packaged up all 5 pieces were sent USPS. We were told they would have them in 3-5 days but the recent media hype around the flu may delay the parts arrival to Romania.

-Materials Selection
The full exhaust suite will be available in the following metals

Inconel

Inconel 625, as used in the aerospace industry where extremely durable and heat withstanding components are required, for example for the exhaust turbine blades in high performance jet engines. Inconel is also used for the manufacture of formula one exhausts, and has also been used by some manufacturers on hypercar projects such as Mcalren P1, Aston Martin 177, where lightness is a factor, and exhaust temperatures regularly exceed 1000c
The basic properties of Inconel are characterised by extremely high tensile strength, and extreme thermo chemical stability. because of the high tensile strength of inconel (roughly the same strength to weight ratio as titanium), very thin sidewall material can be used, while still maintaining structural integrity, resulting in very light weight components that will not fatigue over time. The main drawbacks to using Inconel,is that its extremely difficult to machine and weld, and requires high skill and time consuming processes. its also extremely expensive as a raw material.

STAINLESS 304 Stainless steel 304 grade has become the industry standard for exhaust manufacture. moderate strength, thermo chemical stability, inexpensive, and easy to manufacture, 304 stainless can be used to build relatively inexpensive exhausts to a high standard of functionality and durability. The main drawback to stainless steel is the weight. Roughly the same density of steel, but reduced tensile strength, building high performance exhaust components from stainless can be limited. Also from the perspective of sound, the thick sidewall required from stainless, can produce a slightly dull lackluster sounding exhaust note when compared to the previously mentioned material.
We will update everything with weights once we have them!
We anticipate a 40+ # weight loss for the full inconel system
This is what's being developed

Headers with or w/o Cats 200Cell HJS catalyst (No CEL's)
Wing Mufflers
Center section
Tips-Various CF options

Entire systems in Steel will be around 7700 USD with Cats
Entire systems in Inconel will be around 12250 USD with Cats

Once they have the system in hand they will need roughly 5 days for scanning, they will then send our original system back. around a month later we will have the very first Kline inconel full system back on the car for some real world testing. We will be doing Dyno testing with the stock system and the Kline on the same day as to minimise atmospheric variables.

Update: For some reason Kline was under the impression that the 991.2 GT3 cars had the OPF filters in the exhaust. Hence the need for a full exhaust to scan. Turns out this isn't true. We will have the stock system back and on the car within a week. They are in search for a new Speedster with the new style OPF filters for dev.
Once they have a completed design we will start pre orders.

Just Chilling, Post weight reduction

Look pretty great w/o a bumper

all the important bits

This thing is massive, props to Porsche fo squeezing it into the GT3 somehow

Its a GT party!....To be continued
GlasWerksDMV on Instagram
21620 Ridgetop circle, suite 190, Sterling VA 20166
001-571-370-8500
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Last edited by GlasWerksDMV; 03-24-2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-11-2020 | 12:42 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like their design isn't finalized yet and with an already saturated market, what are the differentiators compared to the leaders in GT3 exhaust systems? 7700-12550k is on the higher end of GT3 exhaust pricing, so I'm curious to see what they come up with to justify the asking price.
Old 03-11-2020 | 01:29 AM
SocalTouring
Racer

Kline have always made exhausts for the 991 gt3s
Old 03-11-2020 | 09:32 AM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like their design isn't finalized yet and with an already saturated market, what are the differentiators compared to the leaders in GT3 exhaust systems? 7700-12550k is on the higher end of GT3 exhaust pricing, so I'm curious to see what they come up with to justify the asking price.
Standard things with Kline
-Factory valve control still operates as designed (Their systems use valves)
-Mandrel bent tubing throughout
-Well known track record producing high quality components for the Porsche community
-To my knowledge no one makes a full Inconel system for these cars. The material characteristics and different sound provided by inconel is a compelling argument for the material selection and cost associated with it.
The following users liked this post:
360MVA (03-18-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 09:33 AM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SocalTouring
Kline have always made exhausts for the 991 gt3s
Clarified in OP, 991.2 cars
Old 03-11-2020 | 02:45 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Kline and I developed the titanium exhaust system for the Ferrari 430 Scuderia, they are THE best !
Old 03-11-2020 | 03:06 PM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Richard.
Kline and I developed the titanium exhaust system for the Ferrari 430 Scuderia, they are THE best !
Awesome! I Bet that thing screamed!
Old 03-14-2020 | 08:52 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Inconel tolerates heat very well but it also radiates it. To avoid aerodynamic lift, should the headers be wrapped in a heat insulating material? Also, why not use a titanium muffler as it is lighter than Inconel and is more of a temperature insulator?
docjohnM (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020 | 10:57 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

I have the benefit of being familiar with both GlasWerks and Kline Innovation so to me, this is exciting news.

GlasWerks did my PPF and they truly are the professional grade. I had the entire car wrapped by them and they are second to none. They are a great bunch of guys that really are passionate about what they do; the right type of guys you want working on your car.
Kline Innovation - I have the inconel turbo manifolds, high flow cats and exhaust on my 991TT. This is one of lightest systems on the market and has ZERO drone. Quiet while cruising but an absolute banshee with the throttle open. The de-facto system for Porsche's.

Post videos/sound clips fellas!
The following 2 users liked this post by KONG991TT:
360MVA (03-18-2020), Urudanny (03-17-2020)
Old 03-14-2020 | 11:26 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I'm a bit confused. GlasWerks appears to primarily be a detailer with particular expertise in paint protection film but does not seem to have any demonstrable engineering prowess, let alone in exhaust design and/or manufacture. Kline already makes exhaust systems for Porsches including the Turbo and GT3/GT3RS. As such, what does GlasWerks bring other than as yet another retail sales endpoint for Kline? Further, as Kline already makes Porsche exhaust systems, why is GlasWerks taking an exhaust system off a customer car and sending it to Kline? Indeed, to assure best fitment, I would think that Kline has had the underside of entire Porsche cars scanned.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 03-15-2020 at 07:23 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Robert Linton:
Alan C. (03-14-2020), bogey1 (03-15-2020), mdrums (03-17-2020), RobbieRob (03-16-2020)
Old 03-17-2020 | 09:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Yep, I am totally lost by this OP post. Kline already has GT3 991 exhausts....there is no development needed, just buy one. Weird...thread
Old 03-17-2020 | 01:17 PM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I'm a bit confused. GlasWerks appears to primarily be a detailer with particular expertise in paint protection film but does not seem to have any demonstrable engineering prowess, let alone in exhaust design and/or manufacture. Kline already makes exhaust systems for Porsches including the Turbo and GT3/GT3RS. As such, what does GlasWerks bring other than as yet another retail sales endpoint for Kline? Further, as Kline already makes Porsche exhaust systems, why is GlasWerks taking an exhaust system off a customer car and sending it to Kline? Indeed, to assure best fitment, I would think that Kline has had the underside of entire Porsche cars scanned.

We are a Resystyling and Protection company first and foremost. (our bread and butter) This only scratches the surface of our capabilities. We also work with companies past a normal vendor status to help bring new products to the aftermarket. Our most notable achievement thus far for the Porsche aftermarket has been the development of the FU3C wheel with our partners Forgeline. When I say development I mean overall look and design & finishing. Obviously we didn't do the engineering (they build race car wheels so naturally that's their department) Our clients came forward wanting a retro look wheel for the modern Porsche so we made it happen.

Original DEV car for our FU3C's wheels with Forgeline

When it comes to Exhaust development 3 years ago we partnered with Kooks Headers and Exhaust to form Kooks exotics. I myself have an extensive engineering background. We were responsible for overall system layout design and specifications pricing etc, they were in charge of actually manufacturing the parts. ultimately they (Kooks Headers & Exhaust) wanted to move away from small batch manufacturing (to them less than 100 units of something was small batch) so we parted ways. But i formed the company with them because i wasn't happy with the offerings for my Mclaren at the time. Everyone was focused on making it louder without sounding better.

Excuse the over caffeinated. version of myself explaining the Kooks exotics line
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN-QFfE6_-Q&t=21s
Mclaren Launch vid

my Mclaren 570GT with the first Kooks Exotics Exhaust system and our partners Forgeline GTD-5 wheels in trans gold

We also Build one off cars such as this 12C that we converted into a 675LT, full custom interior, built engine, 900+HP, new paint wheels/brakes etc etc

Everything you see in this picture is modified.

We also maintain 3D printing and scanning processes in house for rapid prototyping purposes for some of our DOD contracting.

What are we doing with Kline? We let them borrow a full exhaust system from a 991.2 GT3 so they can get all the scans and engineering data they need to manufacture their systems. When i was doing kooks exotics I remember how it went during development. Unless we bought the car ourselves we needed a customer car for development. Sometimes we would line up a bunch of sales for a new product and something would happen outside of our control then we wouldn't have access to the dev vehicle we needed to actually make the systems so we had to search again. It was a very frustrating process. I imagine Kline is in a similar situation so we decided to help them out. We have nothing to do with the exhaust layout or specifics or pricing. We simply are lending a helping hand because we can. and who doesn't like loud noises!? Just happy to help bring something to fruition for the community

Adrian M.
Owner/Lead Artist
GlasWerks DMV

The following 3 users liked this post by GlasWerksDMV:
360MVA (03-22-2020), Bigs911 (03-18-2020), Urudanny (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020 | 01:18 PM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep, I am totally lost by this OP post. Kline already has GT3 991 exhausts....there is no development needed, just buy one. Weird...thread

Only 991.1
360MVA (03-22-2020)
Old 03-18-2020 | 02:29 AM
Bigs911
Track Day

Originally Posted by GlasWerksDMV
We are a Resystyling and Protection company first and foremost. (our bread and butter) This only scratches the surface of our capabilities. We also work with companies past a normal vendor status to help bring new products to the aftermarket. Our most notable achievement thus far for the Porsche aftermarket has been the development of the FU3C wheel with our partners Forgeline. When I say development I mean overall look and design & finishing. Obviously we didn't do the engineering (they build race car wheels so naturally that's their department) Our clients came forward wanting a retro look wheel for the modern Porsche so we made it happen.

Original DEV car for our FU3C's wheels with Forgeline

When it comes to Exhaust development 3 years ago we partnered with Kooks Headers and Exhaust to form Kooks exotics. I myself have an extensive engineering background. We were responsible for overall system layout design and specifications pricing etc, they were in charge of actually manufacturing the parts. ultimately they (Kooks Headers & Exhaust) wanted to move away from small batch manufacturing (to them less than 100 units of something was small batch) so we parted ways. But i formed the company with them because i wasn't happy with the offerings for my Mclaren at the time. Everyone was focused on making it louder without sounding better.

Excuse the over caffeinated. version of myself explaining the Kooks exotics line
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN-QFfE6_-Q&t=21s
Mclaren Launch vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neb5cTl8qgU

my Mclaren 570GT with the first Kooks Exotics Exhaust system and our partners Forgeline GTD-5 wheels in trans gold

We also Build one off cars such as this 12C that we converted into a 675LT, full custom interior, built engine, 900+HP, new paint wheels/brakes etc etc

Everything you see in this picture is modified.

We also maintain 3D printing and scanning processes in house for rapid prototyping purposes for some of our DOD contracting.

What are we doing with Kline? We let them borrow a full exhaust system from a 991.2 GT3 so they can get all the scans and engineering data they need to manufacture their systems. When i was doing kooks exotics I remember how it went during development. Unless we bought the car ourselves we needed a customer car for development. Sometimes we would line up a bunch of sales for a new product and something would happen outside of our control then we wouldn't have access to the dev vehicle we needed to actually make the systems so we had to search again. It was a very frustrating process. I imagine Kline is in a similar situation so we decided to help them out. We have nothing to do with the exhaust layout or specifics or pricing. We simply are lending a helping hand because we can. and who doesn't like loud noises!? Just happy to help bring something to fruition for the community

Adrian M.
Owner/Lead Artist
GlasWerks DMV
👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿
GlasWerksDMV (03-19-2020)
Old 03-18-2020 | 10:45 PM
360MVA
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
I looked at there website, it looks like they have a 991.1 version only.

Quick Reply: KLINE Full Exhaust suit dev