Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help on Console Trim Removal...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Need Help on Console Trim Removal...

Ordered a shifter plate and disassembled it and painted it in a related thread. Came out perfect. I now need to remove the PDK shifter **** and the carbon console surround. Since my dealer is a 220 mile round trip. I'd rather avoid the hassle of having to go there. I'm paranoid about prying the carbon surround off the center console and breaking it. Not to mention I can't find anything definitive about removing the PDK ****. Apparently you are suppose to twist the lower base of the **** to the right and then pull it off. Any help would be appreciated. If I have to I'll go to the dealer as a last resort.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

try this?

Old 02-06-2020, 02:24 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

also this

Old 02-06-2020, 02:26 PM
MBLocal
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just did this last weekend for the same reason. As video says: Insert key, turn key position to on (don't start car), shift PDK into neutral, twist the very bottom of the PDK shifter to unlock (turn counterclockwise, I believe), put car back in park, push PDK shifter top button and pull straight up to remove. I found it easiest to reinstall the PDK surround and shifter with the car in neutral again.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:01 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. On looking close it looks like the carbon surround doesn't need to come off. Remove shifter **** and pull on shifter plate (looks like it sits in 4- clips). Disconnect hazards/lock switch and that's it. Is that correct the carbon surround doesn't need to be removed?
Old 02-06-2020, 03:24 PM
MBLocal
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I removed carbon surround to avoid risk of scratching it and to provide easy access to removing the shifter surround. Very easy to remove carbon trim - start with bottom, below the ash tray (can use a credit card or trim removal tool to get it started), and gently work your way forward using your hands to pop it upward. You probably can remove shift trim without messing with the carbon trim, but when you install it, it can be a tight fit if the carbon is still installed.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:29 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

All done and thank you everyone for the help. Couple of things. I did not have to take the carbon trim off because the shifter bezel pulls straight up and presses back on. As long as it's lined up you won't have any issues or worries of scratching the carbon trim ring. Used the tool below in the pic to get in the shifter hole and lifted up on it and it popped right out. Hardest part was disconnecting the dang clip for the hazard/door locks switch. Used the mini screwdriver in the pic to slightly lift the connector over the notched hump so it would slide out. This saved me a ton of time not having to go to the dealer (220 mile round trip). Not to mention the satisfaction of a job well done. I love it. Time now to find something else to mod/obsess over - lol.

Quick Reply: Need Help on Console Trim Removal...