991.1 GT3 Race Build @ TPC Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

Here's the video of the start of the Sunday race on board SJS Motorsports 991.1 GT3 car #308 (aka TPC Clubsport 001) @TAndrusko. Spectacular start! Love the elevations at Road Atlanta!

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 02-18-2020, 08:30 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Here's the video of the start of the Sunday race on board SJS Motorsports 991.1 GT3 car #308 (aka TPC Clubsport 001) @TAndrusko. Spectacular start! Love the elevations at Road Atlanta!
https://youtu.be/QVRJo11WdDs
Great video. Love Road Atlanta. Used to race American Iron there a couple times per year.
The following users liked this post:
Tom@TPC Racing (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 09:59 AM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I am running my 991.2 GT3 with 18" BBS EO7's/Hoosier R7's and the AP Racing big brake kit. I have aftermarket control arms for more negative camber up front and a track alignment. Car is otherwise stock.

Car runs strong at Watkins (sub 2 minute laps) but if the ambient temperature is 80 degrees (or over) I always get a rear steering motor fault. Not a big deal but I lose the rear steering and the car definitely gets more "darty" on turn-in.

Spoke with my Indy, my Porsche dealer, and directly with Porsche. They said the rear engine motors are operating outside of factory parameters and there's really nothing I can do and not to worry about it.

It's a little spooky when I turn-in for the first time without rear steering because it feels like I'm getting close to losing the rear end.

I'm surprised you guys haven't run into this issue on track.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:57 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

A great thread!
This is an incredible build!!!

Is it me or are there more 991.1GT3's tracking these days? Maybe the 10yr engine warranty is having guys actually track the crap out of them.
And that last video - I watched it 5 times!
Thanks for posting...
Tom@TPC Racing (02-20-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 02:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Next mod on our TPC 991 GT3 Clubsport 001 build is extended range fuel tank. We are going from the stock 16.9-gallon tank to the 23.7-gallon extended range version. In the last race at Road Atlanta the fuel stops were approximately every 40 minutes. Increasing fuel capacity by 6.8 gallons should increase the fueling window by ~16 minutes. In that 8-hour race that should be 3 fewer fuel stops, which would narrow the 6-lap gap to the overall winner that was using a large tank. Fewer fuel stops will be good for the next race!

The fuel tank swap involves dropping the front subframe. Where the DSC Sport Tractive coilovers can show off a little.

That what it looks like with no fuel tank.

The two fuel tanks side by side. We'll have to re-calibrate the fuel gauge and re-code the car for extended range with PIWIS.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A little weight reduction before the next race. Replacing the OEM quarters and rear glass with 991 Cup lexan reduces 11.6 lbs from above the center of gravity of the car.

The Cup quarter windows are held in by quick-release fasteners. The receivers for these fasteners are welded on.

The Cup rear window has perimeter fasteners so the rear window frame on the car needs the receiver holes drilled.

Drilled for the perimeter fasteners.

The next person to drive gets the honor to peel off the protective film.

Jickel180 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:10 PM
BergGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Higher suspension loading is expected with running high grip slick tires. We check alignment frequently and replace the wheel bearings proactively like we do on Cup cars. Other items we pay close attention to frequently are ball joints, tie rods, rear rubber bushings(or monoballs). Engine oil change each race weekend, PDK + diff oil every other sprint event.
how many hours is the average race weekend and sprint event?

thanks!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:14 AM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What’s the build cost? Sorry if it was in here somewhere else.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BergGt3
how many hours is the average race weekend and sprint event?

thanks!
The hours vary for each sanctioning body(AER, NASA, PCA, SCCA, etc.) and sometimes for each event. The last race this car ran was with AER, 8 hours @ Road Atlanta. The average run time per race weekend can vary from ~3 hours for Sprint only to almost ~18 hours for AER weekend(two 8-hour races + practice + qualifying).
Old 05-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jplohg
What’s the build cost? Sorry if it was in here somewhere else.
A "basic" build with custom fabricated Cup style cage and safety equipment to meet sanctioning body rules and mild suspension work is ~25K. The builds are customized for each customer's intended use. The optional equipment on this particular build are PFC Cup Challenge brake kit, DSC Tractive coilovers, Cup monoball suspension links, Cup fenders, Cup floor board, air jacks, quick fuel system, euro long distance fuel tank, Cup steering wheel w/ paddles, Cup lexan windows.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:42 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
A "basic" build with custom fabricated Cup style cage and safety equipment to meet sanctioning body rules and mild suspension work is ~25K. The builds are customized for each customer's intended use. The optional equipment on this particular build are PFC Cup Challenge brake kit, DSC Tractive coilovers, Cup monoball suspension links, Cup fenders, Cup floor board, air jacks, quick fuel system, euro long distance fuel tank, Cup steering wheel w/ paddles, Cup lexan windows.
Thanks, Tom. I just thought this information would be helpful in analyzing cost vs Cup car all in. The engine/trans operating costs are clearly lower, but much of that would seem to me to be offset by the build cost, especially if considering the high end/more extensive build you are showing here. Of course, I am assuming approximately $110k-$120k donor car and $50k-$100k build cost versus an approximately $130k used Cup car (and assuming maintenance wasn't deferred by previous owner).
Old 05-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jplohg
Thanks, Tom. I just thought this information would be helpful in analyzing cost vs Cup car all in. The engine/trans operating costs are clearly lower, but much of that would seem to me to be offset by the build cost, especially if considering the high end/more extensive build you are showing here. Of course, I am assuming approximately $110k-$120k donor car and $50k-$100k build cost versus an approximately $130k used Cup car (and assuming maintenance wasn't deferred by previous owner).
Good point. TPC Racing actually has two 991.1 Cup cars available at this time! A new build will have many zero hour parts on it. Other factors for deciding between a new build vs a used Cup is what type of car the driver wants to race, the people they want to race with, the racing class and series.
jplohg (05-28-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:33 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Double-Win @ NJMP

This past weekend at New Jersey Motorsports, the TPC Racing built and supported, SJS Motorsports 991.1 GT3, car #308 swept the podium with TWO 8-hour Wins in the American Endurance Racing Championship Series! Congratulations to drivers Scott Schmidt, Trevor Andrusko, and Tyler Hoffman, and the team! The stock engine ran flawlessly all weekend, as did the DSC Sport V3 controller, DSC Sport Tractive suspension, PFC Cup Challenge Brake Kit, and Michelin Cup 2 tires.

The suspension setup on the car is superb and gets every once of grip evenly out of the Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires.

PFC Cup Challenge Brake Kit was on point at every brake zone with perfectly even pad wear.
Rick GT3 (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 06:34 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Does this car have the original motor or the latest Porsche G replacement motor. You mentioned the car had 29K miles when you started the project and the owner wanted to keep the motor stock but I didn't see anything else mentioned about that.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:55 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Congrats guys. I love following this build. How often did you have to perform a tire change, and what tools did you use to get it done quickly with the factory centerlocks?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 Race Build @ TPC Racing