Sponsored by:

PDK LEAKS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 01:39 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default PDK LEAKS?

Anyone else experiencing leaks with their PDK? I have 2, 15 GT3's last year they replaced my leaking PDK in one car and this last weekend the other car started leaking and is scheduled to go in next week. Wondering if my cars are the only problem cars.
Please provide feedback if you have had this problem, thanks.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,740 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Several posts about this topic if you do a search - don't remember where, since I have Manual...
Old 01-28-2020, 03:56 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Thanks
Old 01-28-2020, 06:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

My .2RS got a new gearbox at 17,000 miles but it leaked immediately maybe after 1000 miles at the Nurburgring.
I was told that it’s normal and keep driving but it leaked more and more, so replaced it.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:06 PM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the PDK replaced in my .1 GT3 (2015) at ~12000km because of a leak. No questions asked, straight warranty job. Replacement ran perfectly until I disposed of the car many track days later, at 45000km
Old 01-28-2020, 09:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Pretty lame to replace an entire gearbox for an oil leak. What was causing the leak,an oil pan gasket/RTV,an oil seal...what?! Unless the case is cracked why would you replace the whole gearbox for an oil leak?! It just doesn't make sense! Porsche should make a survey and ask its customers what they prefer : a brand new gearbox,where they have to remove the entire unit and some " technicians " might forget to tighten all the bolts,screw something else in the process(it happens when the book time is 10 hours if the customer pays,but it's 6 and a half hours warranty time when Porsche pays) etc...or just fix the leak!
As much as I don't like electric cars,I can't wait for the day when you bring your electric Porsche(or other manufacturer for that matter) and see what the Service department will " sell " you for service : coolant flushes,wallet flushes...what?
Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 PM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Pretty lame to replace an entire gearbox for an oil leak. What was causing the leak,an oil pan gasket/RTV,an oil seal...what?! Unless the case is cracked why would you replace the whole gearbox for an oil leak?! It just doesn't make sense! Porsche should make a survey and ask its customers what they prefer : a brand new gearbox,where they have to remove the entire unit and some " technicians " might forget to tighten all the bolts,screw something else in the process(it happens when the book time is 10 hours if the customer pays,but it's 6 and a half hours warranty time when Porsche pays) etc...or just fix the leak!
As much as I don't like electric cars,I can't wait for the day when you bring your electric Porsche(or other manufacturer for that matter) and see what the Service department will " sell " you for service : coolant flushes,wallet flushes...what?
Gaskets/seals were checked, leak continued, source was not identified. If your local Porsche place is in a position to then trouble-shoot a PDK and repair it to your and their satisfaction with continued warranty, good luck to you. Mine wasn't and if the techs aren't comfortable to push on and Porsche Australia are telling them to replace the box, I'll happily take the replacement box. I was without the car for 24 hours
The following users liked this post:
911Monte (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:45 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

They tried fixing the leak and it still leaked so they replaced, the warranty has now expired so it is concerning and more concerning now that the other GT3 is now leaking but that car is still covered by CPO. I was told it is not Porsche that covers this but the manufacturer that pays so no need to try to keep fixing. If I had to pay for the repair I would be looking for someone else that is willing to work on it.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:27 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

how have you guys discovered the leaks? i've seen a few of these pdk leak threads now which is worrisome.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,863 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
how have you guys discovered the leaks? i've seen a few of these pdk leak threads now which is worrisome.
Wild guess ... look on the floor?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:06 AM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Both of mine left sizable puddles.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:42 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Wild guess ... look on the floor?
super helpful. there is a pan that covers the transmission you know. didn't know if this was a massive leak or just some small leak on the seals noticed on inspection. appreciate you though.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:43 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Originally Posted by 452gt3
Both of mine left sizable puddles.
ok thanks. i haven't noticed anything under either of mine but i'll make sure i inspect the trans next time i do an oil change.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:13 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Something that cannot be fixed but only replaced is undesirable if long term ownership is being considered. Counting on Porsche to fully replace a PDK for a reasonable cost, let alone free, 10 years down the road is not a good plan for long term ownership of their cars. This has been a major drawback of PDK from day 1.
unclemat (04-02-2021)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Something that cannot be fixed but only replaced is undesirable if long term ownership is being considered. Counting on Porsche to fully replace a PDK for a reasonable cost, let alone free, 10 years down the road is not a good plan for long term ownership of their cars. This has been a major drawback of PDK from day 1.
The thing is : IT CAN be fixed! They just don't want to deal with dealership technicians opening up these boxes. They've been having problems with PDK boxes since 2012(if I remember correctly) : back then it was a 50$ temperature sensor which will put the car in Limp home mode. So what did they do : they were replacing the whole 14K $ transmission. Luckily,some smart aftermarket guys realized it only takes 1 hour to drop the pan and the sensor is right there : splice a new one in and it's good to go.
The mechanicals in these PDK boxes are solid,there's no question about it!
Porsche doesn't offer any internal components for PDK boxes(at least they weren't in the past,I don't know about now),but since they're manufactured by ZF,it was only a matter of time until aftermarket took them apart,got the parts somehow from ZF and fixed them.
An oil leak should be a non issue for any qualified technician to fix and hopefully they don't expect customers to replace the gearbox from their pocket out of warranty.
djcxxx (01-30-2020)

Quick Reply: PDK LEAKS?