Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mac Chicago Mis-Advertising CPO .1 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 04:24 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Mac Chicago Mis-Advertising CPO .1 RS?

RL Experts,

I've been watching .1 RS for sale and have noticed this Lava car sitting for a while. It looks like a nice, well specced car in the pics, but I find a couple things strange, and was hoping to get some insight. Maybe I'll get lucky and somebody here will know this specific car.

They are advertising the car as CPO, but they aren't a P dealer. That seems like a pretty blatant lie coming from a Mac dealer that should know better. Am I missing something?

The cage and harnesses scream track car, and the DME report they sent shows range 1 and 2 overrevs. That seems strange to me on a PDK car, though I've never asked for or seen a DME report on a PDK car, so not sure if that's abnormal. The report they sent also didn't include the total engine hours, so it seems somewhat worthless anyway.

Any thoughts?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/253647607
Old 01-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Nice car and well equipped, very similar to mine actually.

On the CPO, unless the rules are different in the US it is transferable so my guess is the car was CPO'd before they acquired it. Personally I wouldn't be that concerned about the DME report either, it is a PDK car so not a major concern particularly on range 1/2.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:45 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Originally Posted by Vise
Nice car and well equipped, very similar to mine actually.

On the CPO, unless the rules are different in the US it is transferable so my guess is the car was CPO'd before they acquired it. Personally I wouldn't be that concerned about the DME report either, it is a PDK car so not a major concern particularly on range 1/2.
Yes, it was definitely CPO before they acquired the car, but my understanding is the CPO is void if it is sold at a non-Porsche dealer.

And I agree, really nice looking car.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:48 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Yes, it was definitely CPO before they acquired the car, but my understanding is the CPO is void if it is sold at a non-Porsche dealer.

And I agree, really nice looking car.
+1, CPO is not valid if sold at a non-Porsche dealership. CPO is only transferrable via Porsche dealership or private party sale.
The following users liked this post:
maroli (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 04:51 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
+1, CPO is not valid if sold at a non-Porsche dealership. CPO is only transferrable via Porsche dealership or private party sale.
Well, I learned something new and can confirm I've seen other non-P dealers offer 'CPO' cars before.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:55 PM
Vise
Drifting

Interesting, you should ask the dealer about that then. Based on the build date (2015-09-01) the 10/21 they have referenced definitely aligns to a CPO warranty end date.

Is it possible McLaren Chicago is part of a dealership group that includes a Porsche dealer? Just a thought... I know up here the high volume Porsche dealer also owns the local McLaren dealer and they have said they could CPO cars at Mac through the P dealership.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:07 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Interesting, you should ask the dealer about that then. Based on the build date (2015-09-01) the 10/21 they have referenced definitely aligns to a CPO warranty end date.

Is it possible McLaren Chicago is part of a dealership group that includes a Porsche dealer? Just a thought... I know up here the high volume Porsche dealer also owns the local McLaren dealer and they have said they could CPO cars at Mac through the P dealership.
Yeah, I'll press more. But I've already inquired twice about the CPO specifically, and the salesman has replied to other questions but not that one. It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. But I like the price if it's clean, especially the $150k it was previously listed at. It's a buyers market though, so I'd really prefer something with some warranty.

And if you call Porsche, they'll say that vin has a CPO, but my concern is that they'd void it if a large claim was ever actually made. I'm sure they check that kind of stuff before paying for an RS motor.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:20 PM
Vise
Drifting

Yeah, I'll press more. But I've already inquired twice about the CPO specifically, and the salesman has replied to other questions but not that one. It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. But I like the price if it's clean, especially the $150k it was previously listed at. It's a buyers market though, so I'd really prefer something with some warranty.

And if you call Porsche, they'll say that vin has a CPO, but my concern is that they'd void it if a large claim was ever actually made. I'm sure they check that kind of stuff before paying for an RS motor.
Yep good call. The CPO warranty was important for me as well, my car is covered through June 2022 which gives me plenty of time until the 992 GT cars come out.

Definitely a nice car though, very well equipped and looks clean in the pictures at least. Cage + harness is a nice bonus too. Hope it works for you, on this car or another...
Old 01-21-2020, 05:23 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Yep good call. The CPO warranty was important for me as well, my car is covered through June 2022 which gives me plenty of time until the 992 GT cars come out.

Definitely a nice car though, very well equipped and looks clean in the pictures at least. Cage + harness is a nice bonus too. Hope it works for you, on this car or another...
Thank you. I have my eye on this car and another, so I'm hopeful something will work out. That being said, I'm also keeping my eye on the 675LT market, but those are still really more than I want to spend on a toy at this point.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:22 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,400 Likes on 726 Posts

Was not this Dealership owned by the Gentleman on here that owns a few McLaren Dealerships and a Porsche one on the West Coast unless he sold out of this one??
Old 01-22-2020, 09:28 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Thanks for the info guys. I received some info via PM that this car is not in the shape I'm looking for, so the thread served it's purpose. I really appreciate the help.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:19 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I have the same car for sale....CPO, less miles, no cage or buckets though....roughly the same price....I think that's priced high for the miles....
Old 01-22-2020, 12:21 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I have the same car for sale....CPO, less miles, no cage or buckets though....roughly the same price....I think that's priced high for the miles....
Thanks, but buckets, brakes, and lift are a must for me.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:28 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Thanks, but buckets, brakes, and lift are a must for me.
No worries, only have 2/3....best of luck in the search!
Old 01-22-2020, 04:14 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
I thought it was not transferable through a P dealer. in other words, if a P dealer acquire a CPO car - dont they have to actually re-certify it as a P dealer to sell it as CPO? It can be transferred through private parties..

Quick Reply: Mac Chicago Mis-Advertising CPO .1 RS?