991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Rolex 24 at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020 | 04:35 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

I love all the respectful comments. Dialogue is fantastic. Obviously I am not a fan of BOP, I believe in earning/winning things. IMSA seems to be following the NASCAR (conspiracy) theory that they will choose a winner. Maybe it is not at all accurate but sometimes it does look that way. At least that is what this Rolex looked to me in GTLM.

A good friend of mine went for the first time ever to see a sports car race at the Rolex. He came out impressed with the BMW. That is until I explained BOP.

Indeed the M8 does seem to the the size of a school bus with a flat roof!🙁🙁🙁
Old 01-30-2020 | 07:25 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jickel180
I mean, technically BMW did produce a V8 E46 M3 street car. Regardless of what BMW does over here in the states, it typically doesn't fly with the ACO so you won't see their "special" GTE cars compete in Le Mans or other WEC events. I wish BMW actually produced a streetcar platform worthy of competing without a waiver to run among with the others, but at the same time I'm just glad they're continuing to stay in GTLM competition. Be happy GTLM competition exists, because its days are likely numbered with the hypercar/DPi convergence on the horizon.

I know many here detest BOP, but it isn't going away - it's exactly what keeps the manufactures sticking around longer. BMW will likely suffer at Sebring as a result of their success like the Ferrari did (although Daytona has its own BOP formula). New GT3/GTLM platforms are now produced with BOP in mind, so although they don't have the freedom of an unlimited rulebook, it keeps the budget practical with guarantees of a long platform life, which is what manufactures and customer racing programs need.
BOP is absolutely in mind when a car is designed; that’s why the 911s are naturally aspirated - it’s a lighter, less complex way to achieve ~500 bhp vs. going the turbo route - the downside is torque, which is what the 4.2L engine and short side pipes were designed to address (recall also that several of the prior RSRs caught on fire - one with the “old” exhaust that had mufflers and exited on the side of the diffuser caught on fire when rubber pickup ignited, which led to the center exit exhaust that sounded incredible; unfortunately, the 92 car had an exhaust issue at Le Mans 2019 that cost a potential victory)

Originally Posted by Just in time
I love all the respectful comments. Dialogue is fantastic. Obviously I am not a fan of BOP, I believe in earning/winning things. IMSA seems to be following the NASCAR (conspiracy) theory that they will choose a winner. Maybe it is not at all accurate but sometimes it does look that way. At least that is what this Rolex looked to me in GTLM.

A good friend of mine went for the first time ever to see a sports car race at the Rolex. He came out impressed with the BMW. That is until I explained BOP.

Indeed the M8 does seem to the the size of a school bus with a flat roof!🙁🙁🙁
I don’t think there’s any conspiracy theory, per se:

BMW - carryover car from last year; BMW quit WEC because they were slow; IMSA doesn’t want BMW to leave, so a good idea to give them a strong BOP
Porsche - won the title last year; brought a new, presumably better car this year; new cars usually get conservative (i.e., slow) BOP
Corvette - totally new car and vehicular concept, which would be expected to result in teething troubles and a learning experience for the team; conservative BOP, as above
Ferrari / RIsi - they show up a few times a year, and have no political input from Ferrari; they won the last race; no need to have a strong BOP

Quick Reply: 2020 Rolex 24 at Daytona