Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wait is over! BBS forged aluminum mono-bloc 20" for 911R/GT3/Speedster is here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020 | 11:29 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

The wheels might be already TUV approved.
Old 05-25-2020 | 04:40 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

can i get a quote for white gold fitment on 991.2 gt3
Old 05-25-2020 | 04:42 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GregorK
Hello,

would you please send me an offer for a Porsche GT3 991.2 in white gold? Including delivery to Germany. Are there any expertises for the wheels (e.g. material, load capacity, ...)? Or whatever, to make a TÜV-registration at least conceivable?

Many thanks
GregorK,

We can't send you msg due to your post count. Please email us to info@rstrada.com. Will answer your question there. Thank you.
Old 05-25-2020 | 08:05 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Perhaps a stupid question but why is a U. S. firm shipping a German BBS wheel to Germany? Is the cost of BBS wheels in Germany that much higher?
Old 05-25-2020 | 09:46 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Perhaps a stupid question but why is a U. S. firm shipping a German BBS wheel to Germany? Is the cost of BBS wheels in Germany that much higher?
Robert,

There is no conclusion yet. Moreover, it was a US program so perhaps Germany had shipped all wheels produced in the first batch to us. Currently there is still a shortage and we are lucky to have very limited quantity on hand.
Old 05-25-2020 | 11:14 PM
RS911
Racer

Can a German company sell non approved TÜV wheels in Germany? I’m thinking liability issues.
Old 05-25-2020 | 11:24 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Look on the wheel rim to see if the TUV seal is there.
Old 05-26-2020 | 05:04 AM
GregorK
3rd Gear

Of course they can sell without TÜV approval. Parts for motorsport do not need a TÜV approval. This is only necessary if a part / wheel is to be used in public road traffic.
A TÜV-certificate is very complex, expensive and - as far as I know - needs to be done for every single size, for example for the GT3 (non-RS) already two certificates.
Right at the moment these wheels are only available in US not in Germany.

Last edited by GregorK; 05-26-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2020 | 02:01 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I was wrong, the TUV approval is not stamped into any wheel. BTW, do you powder coat wheels?
Old 05-26-2020 | 02:40 PM
RS911
Racer

Originally Posted by GregorK
Of course they can sell without TÜV approval. Parts for motorsport do not need a TÜV approval. This is only necessary if a part / wheel is to be used in public road traffic.
I should have been more precise. I did mean for use on public roads.
Old 05-27-2020 | 05:58 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

I was wrong, the TUV approval is not stamped into any wheel. BTW, do you powder coat wheels?
Robert - the wheels that could be used in the street should generally have ABE certificate (Allegemeine Betriebserlaubnis) or KBA number embrossed to the wheel. T But this only proves that the wheel confirms with certain regulations and certain applications e.g. security

If the wheels are standard for the car, then the part KBA number and car's KBA number should be matching / relevant. If the wheel is not standard, then for each application to a certain car, there should be a conformity report, which is called Gutachten normally given by TÜV. In this report, the exact type of the car, power, wheel and tyre sizes are present and which version of the wheel fits with certain tyre sizes etc. All respective conditions will be documented as well e.g. a wheel might be OK for the steel brake version but not for pccb as the dimensions are bigger.

Long story short, it is a extensive document with many pages.

Picture example for KBA part-number of wheel:

An overview from BBS on the BBS FI-R applications (ZV refers to Center Lock): https://bbs.com/pdfs/gutachten/Anwen...en/Anw_FIR.pdf
BBS confirmity certificate archive (Gutachtenarchiv): https://bbs.com/de/service/gutachten_archiv.php
BBS FI-R confirmity certificate for 991 GT3 rear axle (12jx20 size 44mm offset): http://gutachten.bbs.com/gutachten/f...gt3_991_zv.pdf

Last edited by hellboy_mcqueen; 05-28-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2020 | 06:04 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Thank you. In fact, this wheel has not been TUV approved yet, possibly because of the virus causing delays. Will RStrada powder coat them to achieve the desired color?
Old 05-28-2020 | 01:31 AM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Thank you. In fact, this wheel has not been TUV approved yet, possibly because of the virus causing delays. Will RStrada powder coat them to achieve the desired color?
We offer custom finish either paint or powder coat depending on color.
Old 05-28-2020 | 08:01 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Hi Robert - I believe these wheels here are superb quality and most probably much better than the regular street wheels. I dont think that missing approval is a timing issue, but more of a financial one.

The ABE/KBA certification process is very expensive and the motorsport equipment sells relatively less, hence most probably there is no valid business case. In addition, the confirmity certification (Gutachten) for a certain car is also quite expensive. Even with confirmity certification (Gutachten) for a wheel/tyre for a certain car model, you need to go to TÜV and get it quickly checked and approved. If you have a wheel with KBA number, but no confirmity report (Gutachten), there is also an individual confirmity process with TÜV called "Einzelabnahme". You give the car to TÜV for a day or two, they check first the bottom; fitting of wheels and tyres with the suspension system as well as height of the car. After that they drive the car in a special track with different cambers and surface and elevation. You need to pay for all of this (time of the expert, track fee ...) and it generally costs between 1000-1500 USD. And there is no guarantee that you will get a certification at the end of the day. Tuners or young enthusiasts go through this cumbersome process. But many tries to avoid this process and buy certified wheels. It makes the life easier in Germany.

I learnt this because I live in Germany since 20 years due to work and Germans still continues to amaze me with their precision and engineering life-style.
Cheers, Murat

Last edited by hellboy_mcqueen; 05-28-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2020 | 08:44 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I have absolutely no issue as to quality. In fact, I believe BBS to be the very best engineered wheels in the world and, personally, if BBS are available, I would buy no other metal wheel (I confess, I do have two cars that came with carbon wheels). And I have no doubt that the wheel exceeds TUV standards. The reason for the initial comment, which was poorly constructed and should have been more specific, was never about quality, but was about the technicality of TUV approval because I have friends in Germany who have mechanics who are unwilling to install almost anything on a road car that does not have that technicality of TUV approval.

Quick Reply: The wait is over! BBS forged aluminum mono-bloc 20" for 911R/GT3/Speedster is here.