Sponsored by:

Over tightened CL with PI bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 01:32 PM
UKPAUL_VG_RS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Over tightened CL with PI bar

Hi guys, I've had a quick look around but I can't see anything conclusive.

I've just tightened up my new wheels using the PI bar, stupidly on the first wheel I had the PI torque element facing inwards & over tightened the CL as I did not hear the click, I then re-started the procedure & did it all correctly with no issues, I never like to assume so wanted to check if you guys think this will be an issue? I've got no idea how tight I went but it was super hard to get off again.

Finally, when torquing the wheels, I just selected 450lb/ft to be safe & this seemed very easy to achieve with a minimal amount of force required (certainly vs loosening them!), I was just wondering how this compares with your individual experiences.

Thanks

PD
Old 01-05-2020, 01:40 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 283 Posts

I did the same thing on my .1 GT3 a few years ago. I inspected the CL bolt, wheel face etc and didn't see anything concerning. Retorqued correctly and no problems. I think I put close to 2.5k track miles on after the overtorque and had no issues.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:50 PM
UKPAUL_VG_RS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zedcat
I did the same thing on my .1 GT3 a few years ago. I inspected the CL bolt, wheel face etc and didn't see anything concerning. Retorqued correctly and no problems. I think I put close to 2.5k track miles on after the overtorque and had no issues.
That's great thanks, if I had to guess it felt like I put twice the amount of force in to take them to 450lbs!
Old 01-05-2020, 02:12 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Just take wheel off completely and inspect all threads closely. Make sure there aren't signs of metal shards. If the bolt threads in easily by hand, likely no damage done. In my experience, these are designed to not break if over tightened a bit.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:14 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

These PI tools leave a lot to be desired. I rarely get it to click after the back off. I am extremely disappointed with these bars. I invested in a torque multiplier and would rather deal with the certified error than these PI bars.

Last edited by 991carreradriver; 01-06-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:17 PM
RENNtorq
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 53 Posts

PD -

Not that I would recommend it, but I've seen these nuts over torqued to as much as 700 lb*ft with no apparent detrimental effect so you are likely ok.

As Bluehorseshoe suggested, examine the threads when you have the wheel off next time, and also take a close look at the conical seat of the nut (where it presses against the wheel) to make sure there is no unusual deformation or marking on that seat.

Originally Posted by UKPAUL_VG_RS
Hi guys, I've had a quick look around but I can't see anything conclusive.

I've just tightened up my new wheels using the PI bar, stupidly on the first wheel I had the PI torque element facing inwards & over tightened the CL as I did not hear the click, I then re-started the procedure & did it all correctly with no issues, I never like to assume so wanted to check if you guys think this will be an issue? I've got no idea how tight I went but it was super hard to get off again.

Finally, when torquing the wheels, I just selected 450lb/ft to be safe & this seemed very easy to achieve with a minimal amount of force required (certainly vs loosening them!), I was just wondering how this compares with your individual experiences.

Thanks

PD
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (01-07-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 05:07 AM
UKPAUL_VG_RS
Intermediate

Much appreciated guys, I'll have my guy check it all out when he does a setup on it, it's a shame the Renntorq was not available when I bought this.

Thanks again,

Paul