Sponsored by:

Advice please, Which and Why GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 06:12 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Andy,
I drove a Formula Ford and am Nadlers Friend.. I own a 997.2 gt3, don't know about the newer ones. With your track experience, and ownership history I would get a newer one with a MT Over the older 997's..mI love my car and with all of us around, you could drive my car or Edgers car. I would post this question to Mark as he has instant perspective..
Do you still own the toter home and garage on rte 106??

Rob
Old 12-01-2019, 09:20 AM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey John and Rob, I'd love to take you up on it when time and weather avails...... Send me an email and we can connect.

With winter upon us it may be spring and I understand and or if you are around, we can meet in Bedford (I live in the "Birds") or we can meet up to the garage. (LOL, Always looking for more hands and I've got some neat stuff I'm playing with up there)

Rob, Still have the garage yet sold the Toter. Recent life/job change, so I may walk back to racing and if so will pick up another Toter, but that's a year off anyway as I've got to get my driving shoes back under me.

LOL, Nadler's advice advice would start with ..... "Junk, it pukes water........"

For sake of argument, Rob, why have you stayed with the 997 and not shopped to a newer one (cost aside)

John, truly that happy with your .1 or do you covet a .1 RS?
Old 12-01-2019, 09:43 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I have always enjoyed the .2 versions of most Porsche’s. The only exception I can recently cite is the 981 where they went 4cyl.

The 997.2 has a great manual trans, hydraulic power steering, more noise, more harshness, etc. It feels like an older Porsche. Really a beautiful combo especially in RS form.

I never warmed to the 991.1 cars. The fact that they were PDK only was one reason. Another was the first gen electronic power steering that never felt tuned correctly until the 991.2. Then there was the host of engine issues that never really seemed to be put to bed.

The 991.2 is more exciting. The engines were revised. Manual trans was offered. Steering systems felt more dialed in. Etc.

You may also want to drive a 991.2 GTS or T. Many people who swore “never turbo” and drove the Carrera T walk away very surprised. It is far from a boring car and one sits in my garage,

The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (01-04-2020)
Old 12-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

My opinion....

I've owned a 991.1 GT3, and now a .2 RS...I've driven a 997.2 RS on the track for a few laps.

After owning the 991 GT3, and driving the 997 RS, I wasn't impressed at all. It was fun and engaging, but overall wasn't close to the 991 GT3 in regards to overall performance. The 991 interior is much more refined, and offers more tech. It also is a overall a nice car to drive. Even as a daily.

The 991.2 RS is much more raw and stiffer in comparison to the 991.1 GT3
Old 12-01-2019, 12:20 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I've had a 996GT3, 997.1GT3, 991.1RS. For my money, I'd want the 997 if the car was going to be a street car. I think the performance/experience is more accessible. On the track, it's any 991 variant by a wide margin because it's faster, has better front end grip and the PDK is far superior for track use.
Originally Posted by Pazzo009
My opinion....

I've owned a 991.1 GT3, and now a .2 RS...I've driven a 997.2 RS on the track for a few laps.

After owning the 991 GT3, and driving the 997 RS, I wasn't impressed at all. It was fun and engaging, but overall wasn't close to the 991 GT3 in regards to overall performance. The 991 interior is much more refined, and offers more tech. It also is a overall a nice car to drive. Even as a daily.

The 991.2 RS is much more raw and stiffer in comparison to the 991.1 GT3
Listen to people who have owned them- myself included.
Older is not better. Older is nostalgia, older is romantic. It is not faster or better (well maybe lighter).
You stated that you want the more track oriented performance pieces on your GT3. So just bear in mind that if you go with a 997 GT3 they are not IMHO ready for track use out of the box for those who are on aggressive side (racers particularly). You will need for sure better engine mounts to insure that the transmission selects the right gear while cornering, a diff that lasts and of course the usual track prep stuff. Eventually there are other things that you will find 'wanting' like transmission synchros, PASM, flywheel etc. These are not show stoppers, but again my opinion by the time you fully track prep a 997 GT3 you spend more to not quite get up to speed of a similar 991 GT3 with minimum track prep. Tech has improved in the latest cars to the point that the suspension, center locks, transmission (PDK) are up to the task for hard track use.

Bottom line, if you are tracking I suggest you buy the latest model you can afford.
The following 2 users liked this post by montoya:
Pazzo009 (12-01-2019), Perimeter (01-04-2020)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Drive them back-to-back to know for sure. The 997s are more analog, the 991s are more digital. This is in almost every respect. The 991s are faster, far more comfortable, and more luxurious. Most enthusiasts prefer the 997s for their rawness. The 997s were the GT cars that only real Porsche guys knew about. They are pre Youtube/social media. The 991s are produced in higher quantity, and are better cars in almost every respect. The 997s have a real racing heritage. They are legit race cars for the street. The 997 GT cars are far better at holding their value, assuming you don’t drive them much.

You really cannot make a mistake either way tbh. Just need to figure out what you are looking for and what you want to spend. To me the 997 GT3 RS is special, but my 991.1 GT3 is probably a better fit for me in every area that matters.
The following users liked this post:
Therosser77 (12-03-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 01:12 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

May find this useful:

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/13...gt3-group-test

I disagree with "newer is better". Every time a drive and become tempted by a newer GT car, all it takes is a backroad run in my 6gt3 to dispel any ideas about replacing it. There's a reason for the longhood hotrods market and it's much more than mere nostalgia.

Hard to make a bad decision in the Porsche GT space. Drive the cars and decide for yourself. No one can quantify and communicate their own personal nuances and preferences about these cars, much less yours.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Its interesting because as you see above, I did not include the 997 GT3 RS in my choices list...Personal preference I guess, as the car never spoke to me when it came out and still does not ring a chime. Maybe it was the stickers, maybe it was the bla colors (although I am typically a white only kinda guy) or it was at a time I was on track a lot and found the street cars to be in my way on the rare occasion I was at a HPDE or DE, (for that matter, Cup cars were sometimes in my way too - except for braking.... Damn they could out brake me...) For some reason I had a bit of a desire for a '10 GT3, but the need faded away.

Now, I look at a '16 GT3 RS and I think.... Wow, a looker and maybe overtime it might hold some value, but most importunity, does it "DRIVE." Does it stir my soul, like my other cars do.

Of course, I am intrigued by the '16 GT3 RS and of course I then think, well, for about the same price, how much different is a 991.2 GT3 in comparison? Not nearly as cool looking, but does is drive better?

And the typical frugal New Englander says, hey you can save a bit by just doing a 991.1 GT3, but how close is it in performance to the RS?

I'd think the '16 RS will have better long term value than the 991.2 GT3, (value is on my list but not way up there as I don't expect cars to gain value - not why I own them) and I am drawn to the wings and things, but is the .2 worthy to step up to from a standard GT3??

I have ruled out a 991.2 RS at this time, as for that kind of money there are many different considerations and it just gets too complicated.

So I guess my desires circle around the 991.1 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS or a 991.2 GT3......

First world challenges, but hey....

Of those three....?
Old 12-01-2019, 01:23 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

HF1, it would be interesting to read that article if it were written today...(or updated to include the newer cars)
Old 12-01-2019, 01:38 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by andy sanborn
Its interesting because as you see above, I did not include the 997 GT3 RS in my choices list...Personal preference I guess, as the car never spoke to me when it came out and still does not ring a chime. Maybe it was the stickers, maybe it was the bla colors (although I am typically a white only kinda guy) or it was at a time I was on track a lot and found the street cars to be in my way on the rare occasion I was at a HPDE or DE, (for that matter, Cup cars were sometimes in my way too - except for braking.... Damn they could out brake me...) For some reason I had a bit of a desire for a '10 GT3, but the need faded away.

Now, I look at a '16 GT3 RS and I think.... Wow, a looker and maybe overtime it might hold some value, but most importunity, does it "DRIVE." Does it stir my soul, like my other cars do.

Of course, I am intrigued by the '16 GT3 RS and of course I then think, well, for about the same price, how much different is a 991.2 GT3 in comparison? Not nearly as cool looking, but does is drive better?

And the typical frugal New Englander says, hey you can save a bit by just doing a 991.1 GT3, but how close is it in performance to the RS?

I'd think the '16 RS will have better long term value than the 991.2 GT3, (value is on my list but not way up there as I don't expect cars to gain value - not why I own them) and I am drawn to the wings and things, but is the .2 worthy to step up to from a standard GT3??

I have ruled out a 991.2 RS at this time, as for that kind of money there are many different considerations and it just gets too complicated.

So I guess my desires circle around the 991.1 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS or a 991.2 GT3......

First world challenges, but hey....

Of those three....?
No question the motor in the 991.2 GT3 is better- if theses are your choices then the .2 is the easy pick, of course I think it looks the best too! Buy right and I think long term depreciation will be kindest to this model, and the .2 RS if that was in your list.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:53 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

If value/depreciation is a factor, then Mezger engined 996/997 gt3/rs will likely outperform (overtake) all 991 gt3/rs long term, especially as the latter go out of warranty and the 992 gt3/rs arrives. Clean 997.2 rs are already higher than 991.1 rs of equal miles and condition, and much higher relative to their respective MSRPs. There were multiples more 991 gt cars made/sold vs 996/997 gt cars as the former appealed to a much wider audience/market. There are probably no more than a couple hundred clean 6gt3 left out of about 800 total imported to NA as a lot of them were heavily tracked and/or damaged.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy sanborn
HF1, it would be interesting to read that article if it were written today...(or updated to include the newer cars)
Yes, an updated GT3 comparo would be great. Haven't seen one yet.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:20 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

I couldn't wait to get rid of my 2007 GT3. Hated the mandatory sun roof and RMS problems
Old 12-01-2019, 03:32 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Since 991 is where you're looking:

I've owned a .1 gt3 and traded up to a .2 rs. Drove a buddies .1 rs. Drove a buddies .2 touring as well.

The .1 gt3 was smoother at the track. Could peg the throttle at the apex and power delivery was smooth without upsetting the back end. .1 gt3 steering feel is quite different from the .2 gt3 and .1 rs. .1 rs and .2 gt3 steering has better feel and is more direct. .1 gt3 has the engine warranty.

The .2 engine has more mid range torque and can break traction at the rear of you apply the throttle indiscriminately. .1 rs has more downforce and more mechanical grip than the .2 gt3 but steering feel and balance overall not that much different than .2 gt3. Rs makes better noises due to the intake locations over your shoulder. Pdk in .2 is faster.

.2 engine is likely a better long term bet...maybe. Plus goes all the way to 9000 rpm. Rs is still an rs.

If this were my choice and track work was where I really wanted the car to shine I'd go .1 rs. If I was gonna mainly street drive but also wanted a capable track car I'd go .2 gt3. If I wanted the comfort of an engine warranty that would allow me to try to break the engine every time I was in the car and the car with the best value for my dollar, .1 gt3 all the way.

My opinions of course.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:38 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I'll quote myself from another similar thread here. Interested to see others' thoughts:

"How much will a clean, low mile 991.1 gt3 be worth in 4 yrs after the engine warranty expires? Would I pay $60k knowing that a likely $45k engine replacement (with the same problem in the new engine) may be around the corner? Not sure..."

Quick Reply: Advice please, Which and Why GT3