991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PORSCHE TRACK EXPERIENCE BIRMINGHAM

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 03:54 PM
ddugas01

Received 148 Likes on 65 Posts

I don’t believe you can use your own equipment. I’d give them a call. You’ll be switching cars regularly.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:44 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

^^ Agree, last times I was there in 2019 no GoPros, phones, timers allowed to be mounted in the cars. I think it is stated in the material they provide. They did have Racekeeper video/data in most of the cars and provide a memory stick with your sessions. Always remember to remove when you exit the car. But by all means give them a call to confirm.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

Done quite a few of them, last in February. Unless something dramatically changed, no personal cameras. But honestly, forget the cameras. Enjoy your time there. Great time, great people. Focus on the exercises, interaction with nice people with same passion.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 PM
RKGT3
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I just did the 2 day Masters Course in July and they do not let you bring any cameras in the car. Some mentioned above the racekeeper video/data and its already set up in the car. You basically carry around your flash drive from car to car. There are 2 cameras, one looking at you inside the cockpit and the other facing forward. On the video you can review your drive and edit it a number of ways. Overall I agree Allencar below, just enjoy it.

Originally Posted by aalencar
Done quite a few of them, last in February. Unless something dramatically changed, no personal cameras. But honestly, forget the cameras. Enjoy your time there. Great time, great people. Focus on the exercises, interaction with nice people with same passion.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:32 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

So as someone who has only does performance delivery track days but is interested in working toward being a better driver and eventually my SCCA license, would the 2 day course actually be useful for me or should I get a few DE in me before I sign up? I’d hate to waste 4k if I’d have to do it twice before I felt comfortable going to masters versus spending a few hundred on some DE weekends. From earlier posts it sounds like the best starting point for newbies?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:03 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
So as someone who has only does performance delivery track days but is interested in working toward being a better driver and eventually my SCCA license, would the 2 day course actually be useful for me or should I get a few DE in me before I sign up? I’d hate to waste 4k if I’d have to do it twice before I felt comfortable going to masters versus spending a few hundred on some DE weekends. From earlier posts it sounds like the best starting point for newbies?
I would say DE experience is somewhat helpful but not essential. Most DE programs don't have skidpad exercises and that's a key part of the Porsche program, so they're complimentary in a way. Be aware the on track sessions are lead/ follow in the basic 1 and 2 day courses, no in car instruction. Some attend the courses as bucket list items and there's nothing wrong with that, it's a great a experience. If you want to develop skills and work toward racing then you would want to do DEs in addition anyway.

Few thoughts on the SCCA license- I did Masters RS and got my SCCA license. I also did some other race schools and I think Masters RS is a little short on some aspects. Not meaning to bash the course, it is very good but the racing prep aspect is not that great. There are 3 key exercises that really help IMO. First is driving the track side by side with 2 or 3 other cars to build comfort and confidence being close. The Porsche course does not do this. Second is passing drills usually in the braking zone before a slow turn and the Porsche course do not do it "live" with other cars, they set up cones in the brake zone. Last is practice starts. I understand SCCA require 3. Master RS do this but then shut down after the second turn. Other schools I've done we did about 5 laps "fun" race after the practice start.

Getting the SCCA license is a nice goal but suggest give some thought to actual racing with SCCA including which classes as there are many. Spec Miata and Spec Racer Ford seem to be the biggest. Also once you get the license you need to race with SCCA at least one weekend in the following year to renew. I ended up getting involved with crapcan endurance racing (Lemons, Champ) and SCCA don't accept that as race experience for renewal.

Here is an earlier thread on schools https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...s-vs-hpde.html

Hope that helps!
The following 2 users liked this post by zedcat:
blackholescion (08-14-2020), RKGT3 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 04:31 PM
BLUdog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They didn't allow outside video equipment in the car when I went 2 years ago. THey do have a not so great system built in to the cars and provide you the footage. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE TRACK EXPERIENCE BIRMINGHAM