Sponsored by:

Nankang AR-1 (New tire option for GT3)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 01:31 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by lisocayman
I tried the ar-1s on 20s. The rears are too stretched IMO. Corded the tires in 3 days (330 track miles) and didn’t find them better than OEMs. I don’t plan on using them again unless the make a 315 in 20s.
Corded which tires? Front or rear? I'm ready for a new set and may give these a try.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:35 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Corded which tires? Front or rear? I'm ready for a new set and may give these a try.
pretty even across the entire tread on F and R. I gave up and went back to cups
Old 10-16-2021, 08:40 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Cording will happen if near stock alignment and sawing at the wheel when pushing a little too hard. AR1's love negative camber.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:35 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Any review on those fitted to the RS ?

Last edited by Maxi_z; 10-23-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:46 AM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

on my .2 3RS I went from Cups to Dunlops after the Cups heat cycled out after 3 or so tracks days. Dunlops lasted 5.5 days and I really liked them. Have AR-1's being installed next week and Laguna coming up 10/30. Stoked to try them. Will give feedback.
The following users liked this post:
RDCR (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 01:22 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroLogic
on my .2 3RS I went from Cups to Dunlops after the Cups heat cycled out after 3 or so tracks days. Dunlops lasted 5.5 days and I really liked them. Have AR-1's being installed next week and Laguna coming up 10/30. Stoked to try them. Will give feedback.
Whats your experience in performance and feel Cup2 Michelin vs. Race2 Dunlop?
Old 10-24-2021, 01:38 PM
Dumpspec
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a set of brand new AR1 for sale if anyone is interested. 245/305

Last edited by Dumpspec; 10-24-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:50 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by DK7
I know that your question was for Hydrologic but as I used all these tyres on the 991.1 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 rs I tought to leave some feedback.

I think that it should be clear that there are let say two different groups of those tyres to compare the less extreme ones ( MPSC2 , Dunlop sport maxx race and race 2, good year eagle f1 supercar R ) and more extreme ( MPSC2 R, Trofeo R, Good year eagle f1 supercar RS, etc... )

Then there are other good tyres of course as probably the Nankang AR-1, Nankang CR-1, good year supercar 3 R, hoosiers etc.. but I can t really comment as I did not try them or are not available in Europe...

The less extreme group of tyres are I would say very similar in performance with some differences that might depend on the driver, track, settings, etc
I would say that the MPSC2 is the reference tyre, it might last a little more than the others and goes very well on track but if you really continue to push it for many laps at higher temp it becomes a little more greasy than others...

The Dunlop sport maxx race old version on my gt3 was in fact really performant, almost as fast as the trofeo R in a small track, and you could tell by looking at how the rubber was worn that it was a soft compound but it almost looked to wear as a competition inspired compound...
After that I switched to Dunlop sport maxx race 2 expecting them to be similar to the older version but not at all... they are ok and about as fast as the MPSC2, but probably they made it to last longer and for that they used a compound much more similar to a normal street tyre, it was more noisy at the limit,
too soft structure, not as good feeling... It s still a good tyre but not as good as others...

Then on the 991.2 gt3 rs I found some old version of the Dunlop sport maxx race... well again the compound strangely was not feeling exactly the same as the ones I tried on the gt3, but still better than the sport maxx race 2 of the GT3, the feeling was ok but at the end they were still quiet fast...
Don tknow how the Dunlop sport maxx race 2 compound is on the gt3 rs sizes, or how the compound of the good year labelled version supercar R is...

The MPSC2 R is for sure the fastest road legal tyre available ( maybe the Good year RS match it ) , it s a good 1 second faster than the Trofeo R, but it s really expensive, and really wear out quick, even on normal road use, I would say it s good for just one track day.

The Trofeo R is the reference tyre for track, just a little less fast than the MPSC2R and good year RS but will last much longer, is a bit less expensive and more useable everywhere.

All those more extreme tyres work better with some more agressive camber and you would not benefit from them without some good geometry settings and would just overheat or cord them.

I will see how the NANKANG AR1 are performing I expect them to be just as many reported and would also like to read some more reviews of the good year RS

The following 2 users liked this post by Maxi_z:
AnthonyGan (10-24-2021), DK7 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 02:07 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 833 Likes on 462 Posts

Cup 2's are backordered indefinitely, Dunlop is gouging, more tempted than ever by AR-1. Different takes on track tires are the norm, but these really run the gamut. From seconds faster than the OE options to possibly slower and definitely louder. Shop says no faster than SMR2, too stretched on the rear. This test seems to support pace being somewhere in the neighborhood of OE, slower than Trofeos, Supercar 3R tier https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...r-and-pirelli/

Wonder if vehicle setup, track spec alignment vs not might help explain the variable results. Subbed for more feedback from former Cup 2/SMR2 users validating track performance/pace.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:14 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I look forward to your feedback. I go back and forth between MPSC2 and Nankang AR-1... but have not yet tried the Dunlops.

You will get more longevity out of the Nankang IMO... but lets see!
Old 10-24-2021, 06:45 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DK7
Well, I just started tracking 1.5 years ago and have only run two sets of Cups and one set of Dunlops. The Cups fell off the cliff pretty quick. My coach took me out for a session when the tires had 6 track days on them and he couldn't get under 1:40 at Laguna where he can normally do a 1:35 in the RS. He said he wasn't confident to push it because they were slipping all over the place. After talking to him and many others it was determined that Cups do indeed heat cycle out after 2.5-3 days. Dunlpos were highly recommended. I had my 6th day on them yesterday and the first two sessions they were fine and then fell off and got slippy on sessions after. So I'm getting 5.5 days on those. They felt equally good as the Cups did the first two days. I wanted to try Nankangs based on feedback.

I drive to Laguna (1 hour), Sonoma (2 hours) and Thunderhill (3 hours) but that's it. No street driving the RS. I've done maybe 20 tracks days total this year. Had a 718 PSyder with Cups and did 6 days total on them. My best time at Laguna is 1:40:05 so maybe I'm not driving the tires as aggressive as some may. For me what's important is feeling confident in the tires and longevity. Since I'm tracking fairly often it's a real hassle to swap tires too often. Dealer is 1 hour from me. I need to get at least 5 days out of a set. Hoping Kangs are faster and last about 5 days!

Last edited by HydroLogic; 10-24-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:48 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
I know that your question was for Hydrologic but as I used all these tyres on the 991.1 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 rs I tought to leave some feedback.

I think that it should be clear that there are let say two different groups of those tyres to compare the less extreme ones ( MPSC2 , Dunlop sport maxx race and race 2, good year eagle f1 supercar R ) and more extreme ( MPSC2 R, Trofeo R, Good year eagle f1 supercar RS, etc... )

Then there are other good tyres of course as probably the Nankang AR-1, Nankang CR-1, good year supercar 3 R, hoosiers etc.. but I can t really comment as I did not try them or are not available in Europe...

The less extreme group of tyres are I would say very similar in performance with some differences that might depend on the driver, track, settings, etc
I would say that the MPSC2 is the reference tyre, it might last a little more than the others and goes very well on track but if you really continue to push it for many laps at higher temp it becomes a little more greasy than others...

The Dunlop sport maxx race old version on my gt3 was in fact really performant, almost as fast as the trofeo R in a small track, and you could tell by looking at how the rubber was worn that it was a soft compound but it almost looked to wear as a competition inspired compound...
After that I switched to Dunlop sport maxx race 2 expecting them to be similar to the older version but not at all... they are ok and about as fast as the MPSC2, but probably they made it to last longer and for that they used a compound much more similar to a normal street tyre, it was more noisy at the limit,
too soft structure, not as good feeling... It s still a good tyre but not as good as others...

Then on the 991.2 gt3 rs I found some old version of the Dunlop sport maxx race... well again the compound strangely was not feeling exactly the same as the ones I tried on the gt3, but still better than the sport maxx race 2 of the GT3, the feeling was ok but at the end they were still quiet fast...
Don tknow how the Dunlop sport maxx race 2 compound is on the gt3 rs sizes, or how the compound of the good year labelled version supercar R is...

The MPSC2 R is for sure the fastest road legal tyre available ( maybe the Good year RS match it ) , it s a good 1 second faster than the Trofeo R, but it s really expensive, and really wear out quick, even on normal road use, I would say it s good for just one track day.

The Trofeo R is the reference tyre for track, just a little less fast than the MPSC2R and good year RS but will last much longer, is a bit less expensive and more useable everywhere.

All those more extreme tyres work better with some more agressive camber and you would not benefit from them without some good geometry settings and would just overheat or cord them.

I will see how the NANKANG AR1 are performing I expect them to be just as many reported and would also like to read some more reviews of the good year RS
Thanks for the feedback. So besides Cups, Dunlops, and Kangs what other tires fit OME RS wheels?

Last edited by HydroLogic; 10-25-2021 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:53 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. So besides Cups, Dunlops, and Kangs what other tires fit OME RS wheels?
Pirelli Trofeo R, Good year Eagle F1 supercar R ( look to be the same tyre as the Dunlop sport maxx race 2 but the compound might be slightly different ) , Good year Eagle F1 supercar RS ( similar performance to MPSC2 R ) , and of course a lot of other normal street tyres

For just street driving or on wet nurburgring some people use Michelin pilot sport 4s ( but of course it s just a good street tyre )

HydroLogic (10-25-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 02:11 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

what was your experience with AR-1 ?
atc5 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 12:04 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 163 Posts

Just had these mounted up on some BBS FI-Rs, for the gt2rs, track wheels... They are definitely a bit tighter on the wheels and suggest you could widen the track even more if u only used these. I run BBS mags on mpsc2s on the street though so keeping it safe. Really looking forward to trying them out, had them heat cycled, and plan the 34/36 psi hot temp, 26-28psi cold. I've been told not to run at 26 psi so I may just start at 28 for the first session and bleed down a bit.

I will report back on how they do on the gt2rs... The weight issue shouldn't be such a big deal on the gt2rs but we will see.

Quick Reply: Nankang AR-1 (New tire option for GT3)