991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tires, advise are welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019 | 05:27 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Default Need new tires, advise are welcome!

My old Cup2 N0 is at the very end of it's useful life for track duty, and I'm in need of a new set of tires. I mainly drive the car on track and to/from track, not towing. Rarely drive it on the street. What latest tire do you guys recommend with track focus in mind? I know I'm not getting Hoosier due to the need of driving to/from track. I do about 8 track days or so a season, so I would prefer something that would last me a whole season at least especially since it's not going to be driven much on the street as daily.

Thanks in advance!

Gary
Old 10-06-2019 | 05:56 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Look for threads by TRAKCAR, he knows his stuff.
Old 10-06-2019 | 09:56 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Dunlop Maxx Race 2
Old 10-06-2019 | 10:15 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

I want to know if people have driven the Hoosiers on the street... before I drop a load on a trailer.
Old 10-06-2019 | 11:30 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SterlingatBOM
I want to know if people have driven the Hoosiers on the street... before I drop a load on a trailer.
I guess Hoosier is pretty much ruled out for street driving for 2 main reason, safety and durability. I think Hoosier only last 2-4 good track days? Putting a few hundreds street miles might further shorten it's useful life. (May be I'm wrong....)
Old 10-06-2019 | 11:33 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Dunlop Maxx Race 2
Heard they are in-between Cup2 and Trofeo but both grip and durability. I do leaning towards them as I want a better (lap time) tires but need to last me at least a season. I'm afraid I might be asking too much for Trofeo to last 8 track days or so.... I might just go with Cup2 and call it a day. But have heard the newer Maxx Race 2 has better grip and last almost as long as Cup2.
Old 10-07-2019 | 12:23 AM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Originally Posted by LandShark
Heard they are in-between Cup2 and Trofeo but both grip and durability. I do leaning towards them as I want a better (lap time) tires but need to last me at least a season. I'm afraid I might be asking too much for Trofeo to last 8 track days or so.... I might just go with Cup2 and call it a day. But have heard the newer Maxx Race 2 has better grip and last almost as long as Cup2.

Unfortunately, none of the tires mentioned above will normally last 8 track days (in advanced group) - unless you're driving slowly for a 991 GT3(RS). That would be at least 32 heat cycles which is a lot for any tire that's driven at pace. The MPSC2, Dunlop SMaxx, Trofeo all fall off significantly after about 14-16 sessions, which is only 3-4 track days. Trying to get another 4 days out of them will be difficult and if you can it will be a lot slower. Plus add in driving back and forth from the track. If it's raining none of these tires are going to be much fun in the rain driving home after a few track days. In the beginner/intermediate groups you should be able to get more life out of these tires though. Tire life is heavily dependent on how hard you are pushing and the track, some are just a lot harder on tires. (You may want to search out some of OrthoJoes posts. I think he's running RE71R and finding a good balance between tire life and grip.).

Quick Reply: Need new tires, advise are welcome!