Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCR Extended Shift Paddle Review for GT3RS - They’re Awesome.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts
Default JCR Extended Shift Paddle Review for GT3RS - They’re Awesome.

I was shopping for these before my car even arrived - At first I was on the fence because I love mods, I wanted the car to be special, but was concerned about adding parts that looked “too aftermarket” for a GT. After getting them in my hands all doubts are quelled - this is the way the car should have come from Porsche.

The fit and finish are perfect, the ergonomics are probably perfect - they seem to be just big enough to reach with hands on the wheel without being overly big. Porsche’s paddles were just too small for me, they required an awkward reach from the steering wheel and I have big hands.

The paddles are thin and elegant, curved just right, and the have a nice bevel cut into the backside where your fingers touch that feels “just right”. Most importantly the “click” ergos are there with a very positive leveraged click and zero slop on the backside. The Porsche factory paddles are heavier - way heavier 1/3lb more for the set - this creates a slight difference in shift feel with the factory part being “weightier” - it feels like the JCR paddles give you more leverage - the difference is slight but the JCR paddles feel at least as good as factory to me - and i’m not even accounting for the better ergos from being easier to reach.

They offer countless custom color options including factory finish - I played with the idea of Miami blue or speed yellow - that probably would’ve been a disaster. I got their standard black - very low gloss matte/satin finish - it looks very nice, photographs shinier than in real life.

Low volume parts filling the needs of low volume buyers for low volume cars. Thanks for making these, JCR, well worth the price and highly recommended!

Old 09-25-2019, 02:05 AM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow these look real good. I was thinking of getting the Suncoast ones but they are just double stick taped on; I like the JCR ones much better. How's the install on these?
Old 09-25-2019, 09:06 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Yeah, these are way better looking than the stick on ones. Curious about the install as well. I may have to get a set.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:24 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

A bit of a moot point when Porsche paddles turn together with the wheel...

But then, like 99.9% of the things we do to our cars, these mods are there to please
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 104 Posts

These are far too long as they block some of the gauges on the cluster. They do look nice though.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:53 AM
areghovan
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

100% agree, the paddles look and feel amazing - top notch quality from JCR. As far as install, it's a full replacement so steering wheel has to be taken apart. I was at BBi for other mods so they installed for me. Said it was pretty straight forward and easy, OEM fit.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by hayn911gt3
Wow these look real good. I was thinking of getting the Suncoast ones but they are just double stick taped on; I like the JCR ones much better. How's the install on these?

Its easy. For a 991.2 Disconnect the negative battery terminal, pop the airbag out of the two clip points by putting an Allen head in the two holes, one at a time, pushing gently on the clip while pulling one side (left/right) of the airbag out. Disconnect two clipped wires from the airbag and it’s free. Use a small screwdriver to lift up the orange tabs holding the airbag wires in place - they lift straight up/ away from the back of the airbag. Next disconnect the clipped wires in the steering wheel under the airbag - I think there’s one or two clips/harnesses back there - simply unclip them.

Next use use a M12 triple square spline bit socket to remove the steering wheel bolt and pull the wheel off. Remove the back plastic cover from the steering wheel to expose the shift paddle switches. Disconnect the wiring harness for each shift paddle, unbolt and remove the shift paddle assembly. Use a punch and hammer to drive out the pin holding old paddle in place, replace new paddle and reinsert pin. Do the same for the other side and put the wheel back together. Don’t forget to reconnect shift paddle wiring harnesses.

Put everything back together - make sure to use a new steering wheel bolt from your parts dealer - this is supposedly a one time use bolt. Get someone to hold the steering wheel while you torque the steering wheel bolt down. For 991.2 GT3RS the torque spec is 22 ft/lbs plus 1/4 turn of the bolt head. MAKE SURE THESE SPECS ARE CORRECT FOR YOUR CAR. Don’t forget to plug all the wiring harnesses back in, reconnect and pop the airbag back in, reconnect the negative battery terminal. If it sounds difficult it’s not. There’s a tutorial on here with photos that may be better than mine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007UQLR9U?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#immersive-view_1569440101224 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007UQLR9U?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#immersive-view_1569440101224
The following users liked this post:
FourT6and2 (07-31-2022)

Quick Reply: JCR Extended Shift Paddle Review for GT3RS - They’re Awesome.