Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019 | 01:17 PM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ajw45
I second everything said here about all the learning to be had from auto-x where going beyond the limits is safe and educational.
My only gripe is seat time. I haven't found a good way to get a lot of auto-x seat time, so far evolution auto x schools and the occasional test and tune day have provided the most but even then it's nothing compared to an hpde where you might get a couple hours.
Are there any orgs or events where you can get hpde level seat time for auto-x style driving?
I second this. Standing in the sun for hours on end, and only getting maybe 5 minutes of seat time on a super packed autocross day can be taxing and a bit annoying.

But any sort of "school" or test and tune I have been to is amazing. Usually those events are a little more expensive, capped at 50 cars, but you basically get as many runs as you could possibly want to do, back to back to back, all day long.
Old 09-05-2019 | 01:41 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NS2 Media
I second this. Standing in the sun for hours on end, and only getting maybe 5 minutes of seat time on a super packed autocross day can be taxing and a bit annoying.

But any sort of "school" or test and tune I have been to is amazing. Usually those events are a little more expensive, capped at 50 cars, but you basically get as many runs as you could possibly want to do, back to back to back, all day long.
I hate corner working so I don't do events where I have to work and bake under the sun anymore.
In Socal, the POC and PCA now hire paid corner workers so you can just drive, hangout in other people's tents, leave the venue to go to lunch, etc. We usually pay $20 to $25 more for not having to work the course, totally worth it.
Another event I go to (Puretrack.net) lets you sign up for one hour of track session at a time for 8 runs, so you do your 8 runs in that hour, or multiples of one hour or half hour (4 runs), then go home. I see people sign up for 3 to 4 hours each day so you can have as much seat time as you wish. If you stay late, by 3PM or so, there usually aren't too many cars running anymore and then you can practically run non-stop. Unlike SCCA events, I never get baked under the sun at this venue. The video I posted earlier was at one of their events at the Anaheim Stadium in Orange County.
Old 09-05-2019 | 02:48 PM
tqevo
Pro

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Seems to me that there are two ways to look at it.

1: I have a GT3 and I am looking for new opportunities to play with it. Autocross might be fun and I don't have to drive/trailer my car several hundred miles to get to a track.

2: I want to be competitive at autocross, so I will buy the best car for that. Maybe a Miata, Civic, Mini, or Golf...
The GT3 is competitive though. Plenty at nationals and class winners past and present. It's usually the track-only guys who **** on autocross and usually because they find that they aren't very good at it, but not vice versa. They love to make excuses!
The following 2 users liked this post by tqevo:
bigkraig (09-08-2019), sgreer78 (02-01-2021)
Old 09-05-2019 | 03:00 PM
Sleepy996
Pro

Karting is awesome. Track time is awesome. Autocross is awesome. Offroading is awesome. Rally is awesome. Oval track is awesome. Do it all.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sleepy996:
bukit (03-01-2021), carbondan (09-05-2019), foot2pedal911 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-05-2019 | 03:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sleepy996
Karting is awesome. Track time is awesome. Autocross is awesome. Offroading is awesome. Rally is awesome. Oval track is awesome. Do it all.
Agreed.

But you wouldn't want to do all of it in the same car.
Old 09-05-2019 | 04:05 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sleepy996
+1000000
Old 09-05-2019 | 04:20 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tqevo
The GT3 is competitive though. Plenty at nationals and class winners past and present. It's usually the track-only guys who **** on autocross and usually because they find that they aren't very good at it, but not vice versa. They love to make excuses!
At the last POC event, I let one of the fastest instructor drive my RS. The first run he did w/ TC on, he got a 39.9x (can't remember exact time as we were just doing practice runs) which turned out to be the sixth fastest time of all cars there that day. Not sure what he couldn't achieved with a few runs but one thing I'm sure of is that the RS or GT3 can content for Top Time of the Day in the right hands, especially if on tires that would heat up faster.
Old 09-05-2019 | 06:31 PM
tqevo
Pro

Originally Posted by bli8
At the last POC event, I let one of the fastest instructor drive my RS. The first run he did w/ TC on, he got a 39.9x (can't remember exact time as we were just doing practice runs) which turned out to be the sixth fastest time of all cars there that day. Not sure what he couldn't achieved with a few runs but one thing I'm sure of is that the RS or GT3 can content for Top Time of the Day in the right hands, especially if on tires that would heat up faster.
There are very few stock street cars on factory rubber that can compete with GT cars, driver notwithstanding. Claiming that they're not right for the job is just a bunch of BS.
Old 09-05-2019 | 06:48 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
On a GT3, or any GT car, autocross is simply a waste of tires, brake pads, brake fluids, and time.
No, sir. I autocross my GT3 and the new 991 GT3s have proven to be an excellent competitive choice for the course.

While much different than a road course, the dynamics of car balance and control are all just as critical (if not more). It's an exceptional way to learn vehicle control at the limits with a minimum of risk to driver and car.
Old 09-05-2019 | 07:09 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Let's tone down the chest thumping and step back a bit. Both track and autocross require skill to do well. They do.

Autocross just isn't the best application for a GT3. It's a competition. You want the best application that adheres to the rules. You aren't able to take full advantage of the power available in a GT3. A smaller, lightweight car can get the job done just as well. You are confining a wild horse in the space of a small suburban backyard. Sure, you can ride it in small circles, but I'm pretty sure that isn't what the horse needs. From that aspect, I would agree with ipse dixit that it is a waste, because you can do the same or better with a less expensive car and running costs.

I know people are going to fire back and say that people on a road course who aren't any good aren't taking advantage of the GT3 either and it's a waste. I would agree with that as well.

In the end, I try not to make fun of anyone's hobbies, because when you deconstruct any of them, it all seems silly and a waste. I will say I'm not a fan of standing around all day to drive for maybe 5 minutes, though. Lol.
I disagree that a GT3 is not a good fit for autocross. It simply uses the car in a different way, but it is still competitive on the autocross track. Our club sees some of the best times in several 991 GT3s and GT3RSs. The GT3 is much more versatile than you give it credit for.

However, the original question here was whether the owner would get more out of their GT3 by auto crossing. The answer is a resounding yes.
The following users liked this post:
foot2pedal911 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-22-2019 | 11:04 AM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

This thread encouraged me to get my first auto-x exposure through the Porsche Driving Skills course. Had an absolute blast and I would highly recommend it to any gt car owner!
From what I gathered, most people recommended the driving skills course over a true autocross event as you apparently get much more seat time in the skills course, no cone ********, etc.
There were other courses throughout the day that I got my car into 3rd gear properly.

Here's a video from onboard my GT3. Yes I missed a slalom cone, yes I know my line and technique can use a lot of work, but it was an immense amount of fun and I feel it's a great stepping stone to getting on the big track. And even for track drivers, it wouldn't hurt to polish up those skills on the autox course.
https://streamable.com/t4b00

And one from the outside. Turn the volume up!
https://streamable.com/1ntin

Last edited by carbondan; 09-22-2019 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
foot2pedal911 (09-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Autocross