Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this make anyone think twice about putting a deposit on a new GT car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 10:19 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

As I get older having the highest horsepower car means little to nothing....every year they get more powerful....I want the sound and the handling and the looks....going 0-60 in under 3 seconds or 3.5 seconds doesn't matter....
The following 5 users liked this post by shapiroeric:
Mattyrae (08-26-2019), robmypro (08-26-2019), subshooter (08-26-2019), thinkingmonkey (08-27-2019), two2012spyders (08-28-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Cant take the punishment? Value?

Some of you are delusional. Thats the word.

How many of the gen 1 gt3 cars have gone through at least 1 engine? There are cars on their 4th engine here.

There are gen2 cars popping up with engine failures (different reasons, but still).

The mighty mezger engine. Right. Lets see... you have to do the coolant lines ($3000-4000). You have to rebuild the diff because the rear steps out under heavy breaking ($3000-5000). The clutch doesnt last more than 20k miles, even less if its an RS. Brake pads need changing every 10k miles.

You want to hear my experience driving, ahem daily driving, my shelby gt350. 49,000 miles as of today. Multiple, numerous 8250 rpm shifts. Do you know what I had to change in that car besides oil in almost 50,000 miles? Hmmm cabin air filter ($20). Fuel filter ($29). And thats about it.... Do you know how many times it went to a dealer in its entire life time? Total? 2 (TWO). Yes not a typo. And both times it was my fault but Ford covered it. Try that in your “GT” car and let me know how it works. Most of you wont drive these cars more than 50 miles a month so, I guess you’ll never let me know.

Have you actually owned these GT cars past 10k miles? Do you know the annual service required for these cars - simply daily driving it, going WOT occasionally? Minimum 2-3 oil changes, spark plugs and sometimes coils, transmission fluid. Thats $5,000 worth of annual service per year. And thats if you make it there without engine blowing up or cats failing or exhaust valves going bad.

come on... give me a break.

The pushrod 6.2 liter can go and go and go and go for tens of thousands of miles. They are bullet proof. You change your oil once every 6000-7000 miles (and thats 9 quart of cheap $10 oil) and you are done. No service necessary elsewhere for 6-7 maybe 8 years assuming car sees 6000-7000 miles/year.

Have you heard a ZR1 at WOT on 1-2-3 gears? I strongly recommend you do. I have driven all of these cars. ZR1 is GT2RS levels performance but without the problems of turbo (lag, lack of noise, muted character).

Quality? The fact that you quote interior quality so many times to me show you and I have completely different expectations from a car. Because the way i drive my car, there is simply no TIME to even briefly look at the inside. There is no WAY to even hear the interior rattles. Some of you are clearly here because you cant afford a F car, so you want poor man’s Ferrari driving a 911 GT car. But I doubt you will drive your car like you stole it in real life.
ZR1 has supercharger whine. No thanks. Those service prices are at a stealership. 😉
The following users liked this post:
handful (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:29 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

How many of the gen 1 gt3 cars have gone through at least 1 engine? There are cars on their 4th engine here.

There are gen2 cars popping up with engine failures (different reasons, but still).

The mighty mezger engine. Right. Lets see... you have to do the coolant lines ($3000-4000). You have to rebuild the diff because the rear steps out under heavy breaking ($3000-5000). The clutch doesnt last more than 20k miles, even less if its an RS. Brake pads need changing every 10k miles.

You want to hear my experience driving, ahem daily driving, my shelby gt350. 49,000 miles as of today. Multiple, numerous 8250 rpm shifts. Do you know what I had to change in that car besides oil in almost 50,000 miles? Hmmm cabin air filter ($20). Fuel filter ($29). And thats about it.... Do you know how many times it went to a dealer in its entire life time? Total? 2 (TWO). Yes not a typo. And both times it was my fault but Ford covered it. Try that in your “GT” car and let me know how it works. Most of you wont drive these cars more than 50 miles a month so, I guess you’ll never let me know.

Have you actually owned these GT cars past 10k miles? Do you know the annual service required for these cars - simply daily driving it, going WOT occasionally? Minimum 2-3 oil changes, spark plugs and sometimes coils, transmission fluid. Thats $5,000 worth of annual service per year. And thats if you make it there without engine blowing up or cats failing or exhaust valves going bad.

The pushrod 6.2 liter can go and go and go and go for tens of thousands of miles. They are bullet proof. You change your oil once every 6000-7000 miles (and thats 9 quart of cheap $10 oil) and you are done. No service necessary elsewhere for 6-7 maybe 8 years assuming car sees 6000-7000 miles/year.

Have you heard a ZR1 at WOT on 1-2-3 gears? I strongly recommend you do. I have driven all of these cars. ZR1 is GT2RS levels performance but without the problems of turbo (lag, lack of noise, muted character).

Quality? The fact that you quote interior quality so many times to me show you and I have completely different expectations from a car. Because the way i drive my car, there is simply no TIME to even briefly look at the inside. There is no WAY to even hear the interior rattles. Some of you are clearly here because you cant afford a F car, so you want poor man’s Ferrari driving a 911 GT car. But I doubt you will drive your car like you stole it in real life.
You're my favorite person. I am no where close to being able to afford the cars on this forum, nor can I drive them currently with a shattered femur and torn ACL(never try and impress the cute West Point grad while skydiving, mistakes will be made I have learned). The two major times my car needed work was due to my fault or the dealers fault and they covered it or my Platinum Care covered it. It makes me sad that a lot of these cars never get driven as they should, my buddy let me behind the wheel of his Spyder and GT3 and I made sure I was never below 4k RPM the whole time. That being said, a proper Z06 or ZR1 at WOT with stock exhaust, don't even get me started with a modified exhaust that is as visceral as my straight piped 997.1 turbo but deeper, does sound amazing!

Again. Great post.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattyrae
ZR1 has supercharger whine. No thanks. Those service prices are at a stealership. 😉
I don’t hear any whine on mine. This isn’t a Hellcat.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Originally Posted by robmypro
Just watched Lightning Lap on Youtube. I can hear it. Tranny seems improved, but never liked the sound of an american V8, unless it’s the Le Mans Corvette race car, and no supercharger in that car.

A GT3 RS sounds so much better:

Old 08-26-2019, 10:56 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

LOL...you do realize that this is a Porsche GT forum, right? Expect some p-car bias however it doesn't mean the posters comments are delusional. As great as the C7 was, it's well documented cooling issues prevented it from going a full track day without hitting the pits. There are other issues (e.g., handling, feel etc) which aren't necessarily terrible, as no car is perfect. For most on this forum, I suspect that Porsche GT cars represent the apex of BALANCE in a street sports car, (i.e., performance, handling, reliability, versatility, heritage and pedigree) at a price point that is relatively not ostentatious (~ $200K). I doubt that folks are here because they cannot afford a Ferrari, some of us have no interest in owning one...yet (LOL). On the contrary, I would hazard that most of us are here because we appreciate the whole package that a Porsche GT car offers. Vette's are capable cars, even great but they just aren't for me (the C8 is intriguing though as a dedicated track car).
two2012spyders (08-28-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 11:05 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,777 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I didn’t hear any either...
Old 08-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

If Chevy make something like this slightly detuned, I
might be interested:

But I would take a built Lingenfelter NA engine all day over a supercharger. Turbos are the future, especially with all the new efficiency regulations. Superchargers are old school tech.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:12 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

This is my Corvette. 😉
The following 3 users liked this post by Mattyrae:
armbar (08-26-2019), robmypro (08-26-2019), two2012spyders (08-28-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Just watched Lightning Lap on Youtube. I can hear it. Tranny seems improved, but never liked the sound of an american V8, unless it’s the Le Mans Corvette race car, and no supercharger in that car.

A GT3 RS sounds so much better:

https://youtu.be/XQC26TzOJVo
I will check out the video, and try to pay closer attention next time i drive it. If there is a whine on mine it is very subtle because i didn’t notice it at all. Agree the GT3 engines sound awesome, but I like the ZR1 sound as well.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
I didn’t hear any either...
Okay cool, i thought my hearing was going Grant lol.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Over 5500k rpm it is very easy to hear the whine.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:49 AM
robmypro
Race Director

https://youtu.be/PiqNKcMEXf4

Over 5500k rpm it is very easy to hear the whine.
I can hear the whine in that video. I will see if i can hear it when i take it out again.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 723 Likes on 421 Posts

With me it’s weight. I realized anything over 3000# without driver is not my cup of tea. I admire Chevy for building the C8 just like Ford and the GT350. Nice to see Murica building enthusiasts cars.

Peter
two2012spyders (08-28-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 12:35 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it was Harley Davidson that coined the phrase "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"

Quick Reply: Will this make anyone think twice about putting a deposit on a new GT car?