Sponsored by:

The OFFICIAL Speedster pictures thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 04:49 AM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 91 Posts

speedster first impressions 1 / 3

I was really won over by the aesthetics of the car. She is sublime. Nothing to say about the shapes or the shape in general. It is very successful.
Picked up, muscular without being caricatured like a GT3 RS, a windshield more inclined than a cabriolet and of course the double boss behind the headrests and a bumper GT3.
Porsche has done a good job. In the family of SPEEDSTER, the 991 is the worthy heir of the 356 even if it is a totally different and up-to-date approach.
In any case, I much prefer it to 997 and 964 SPEEDSTER that I personally always found rather unsightly. The 3.2 turbolook is an exception to my eyes.

The roof is very well integrated, aesthetically and tightly sealed. I have already been able to test whether in the rain or at the car wash.
Its handling is not very complex. However, everything must be done at a standstill and of course it can be a problem if the weather turns to rain and you are unable to stop.
It also takes a lot of room to put the roof on/off because the rear bumper double bump is huge.
It is a single carbon part of an exemplary finish. I can not imagine the price! Put the roof on requires strengh because you have to extract the mechanism and I'm not sure that the more frail will not experience difficulties to do so.
The soundproofing is remarkable hood in place. You can easily hold a conversation on the highway at 1X0 on highway X = 1,2,3 ... ��

The double embossing also complicates the lateral retro vision at certain crossroads when the junction is acute angle.
Behind the sublime seats, there are two storage spaces that allow you to put a soft sports bag or a box of champagne in each storage. Very practical.
The SPEEDSTER is a traveler like the R but with the advantage of masking these storage spaces that are not visible from the outside except to advance the seats too much.
I was lucky to choose a particular color, it was not easy ... I chose the blue MEISSEN. This is a Porsche historical color used on the 356.
I did not want gaudy or bright colors like on a GT3 RS. The SPEEDSTER is for me a car of esthete, epicurean (I did not say that it applied to me) and I feel a form of nostalgia with this car.
Choosing a historic color seemed like a good step. A beautiful dress for a very beautiful car.
The blue MEISSEN is really beautiful, all in nuance and takes the light particularly well. Not too strong, not too pale, with a little gray.

The brake calipers are yellow because the brakes are ceramic.
It is a constant at Porsche even if on the 992, we can check an option (fee) to have black. Impossible for the SPEEDSTER except with the heritage pack.
In the end, the yellow is not shocking with the blue MEISSEN but I would have preferred the black calipers. I think I can do it at one time or another ... I did not say my last word.
My interior is sober, black from black with carbon everywhere. I was unable to order PEPITA 991R seats or even colored stitching.
In hindsight, I think it was rather better because a cabriolet, it's quickly dirty inside. Dust, falling leaves, bird droppings, tree sap ... in short, ruin a brand new interior in a Week-End!

The seats are not exactly the same as those of the R with regard to padding.
It's thicker and more comfortable I think.
The small commemorative plaque with model number 876/1948 is located between the seats. I do not find it terrible, but hey, that's the way it is.
The reversing camera is handy just like the Apple carplay.
At Porsche, the SPEEDSTER is considered as a lifestyle product (see last Christophorus) and I configured it like that by also taking air conditioning.

To be continued ...

Last edited by rickman_fr; 10-30-2019 at 05:04 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by rickman_fr:
911Vintage (10-30-2019), 993RR (10-30-2019), AmneZia (10-30-2019), Garydose (11-02-2019), NevB (10-30-2019), stetty (04-23-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:02 AM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

speedster first impressions 2 / 3

Unlike the R, it was not possible to check two options that I find very nice.

This is the lithium-ion battery and the flywheel mono mass.
The lithium battery is about fifteen kg less and the mono-mass flywheel, it is what allows to give even more vivacity to the engine at the expense of vibrations, a more pronounced acyclism and a particular noise , not necessarily very beautiful but so evocative for the one who loves the living mechanics.
In RS 4.0 the mono mass flywheel is standard, in the R, it is an option, in the Touring and SPEEDSTER, it is not proposed.
We lose a lot in mechanical feeling. So, it's true that in a SPEEDSTER, a lifestyle product as Porsche says, it may be incongruous, but I think I would have checked the option if it had been possible.

In short, the SPEEDSTER is more of a roofless Touring than a roofless R. And besides, this is immediately felt in driving.
Indeed, I expected a chassis like the R or even more flexible than R.
Surprise, it is not at all the case. It is steeper but it is also much more rigorous it seems to me.
The SPEEDSTER is very precise, fits well, runs well ... like a GT3 or Touring if you prefer that is a GT3 without a wing ! you follow ?

The R is much more nervous, playful, the SPEEDSTER is serious but not boring !
I have already made some fears with the R because its specifically calibrated rear wheels and specific damping make it particularly lively when you have fun with it.
It is quite successful on this point.
I have always wondered if Porsche had not taken the exact opposite of the 991.1 GT3 RS which is very effective but I found particularly boring except on circuit.
I think Porsche has also sought to find the living side of the 997 GT3 / RS but that it requires to look for this behavior with the 991 while it is more natural with a 997 GT3 / RS.
The wheelbase of the 991 larger than that of the 997 offers more stability but less fun naturally.
It is thanks to the rear steering wheels that Porsche manages to recreate agility at low speeds while conversing with stability at high speed.
It's always the same thing, efficiency against agility, stability against fun ...

The chassis of SPEEDSTER is particularly rigid, it does not squeak, it does not squeak, I think it's very serious.
Overall, the build quality is excellent. We will see in time but it's rather reassuring at first glance.

In short, the SPEEDSTER is really a 991 GT3 phase 2, Touring or not with a BVM (standard in a Touring).
So, I wonder what can be used in the sport mode chassis except on a "billiard" or on a circuit while on the R, I tend to put it in certain circumstances.
The gearbox is like the R, soft, precise, well locked and the clutch is also effortless. Nothing to do with the gearbox of RS 4.0.

There is the famous button now called "auto blip", "sport" in the R, which realizes for you, the famous heel / toe with a small shot of gas really well dosed.
It's hard to do that as well, in all circumstances. I especially love a car like the SPEEDSTER which is more accessible to all drivers.
Beyond all these technical considerations, there is real pleasure to ride on small roads at a steady pace and the car only asks for that.
In a way, it makes me think of the bigger better boxster S, not really heavier but much more powerful.
This pleasure is more intense hair in the wind of course and as by chance the bakery Sunday morning away a little more each day ...
The following 4 users liked this post by rickman_fr:
911Vintage (10-30-2019), Garydose (11-02-2019), gmundster (10-30-2019), NevB (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:15 AM
911Vintage
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman_fr
speedster first impressions 2 / 3

Unlike the R, it was not possible to check two options that I find very nice.

This is the lithium-ion battery and the flywheel mono mass.
The lithium battery is about fifteen kg less and the mono-mass flywheel, it is what allows to give even more vivacity to the engine at the expense of vibrations, a more pronounced acyclism and a particular noise , not necessarily very beautiful but so evocative for the one who loves the living mechanics.
In RS 4.0 the mono mass flywheel is standard, in the R, it is an option, in the Touring and SPEEDSTER, it is not proposed.
We lose a lot in mechanical feeling. So, it's true that in a SPEEDSTER, a lifestyle product as Porsche says, it may be incongruous, but I think I would have checked the option if it had been possible.

In short, the SPEEDSTER is more of a roofless Touring than a roofless R. And besides, this is immediately felt in driving.
Indeed, I expected a chassis like the R or even more flexible than R.
Surprise, it is not at all the case. It is steeper but it is also much more rigorous it seems to me.
The SPEEDSTER is very precise, fits well, runs well ... like a GT3 or Touring if you prefer that is a GT3 without a wing ! you follow ?

The R is much more nervous, playful, the SPEEDSTER is serious but not boring !
I have already made some fears with the R because its specifically calibrated rear wheels and specific damping make it particularly lively when you have fun with it.
It is quite successful on this point.
I have always wondered if Porsche had not taken the exact opposite of the 991.1 GT3 RS which is very effective but I found particularly boring except on circuit.
I think Porsche has also sought to find the living side of the 997 GT3 / RS but that it requires to look for this behavior with the 991 while it is more natural with a 997 GT3 / RS.
The wheelbase of the 991 larger than that of the 997 offers more stability but less fun naturally.
It is thanks to the rear steering wheels that Porsche manages to recreate agility at low speeds while conversing with stability at high speed.
It's always the same thing, efficiency against agility, stability against fun ...

The chassis of SPEEDSTER is particularly rigid, it does not squeak, it does not squeak, I think it's very serious.
Overall, the build quality is excellent. We will see in time but it's rather reassuring at first glance.

In short, the SPEEDSTER is really a 991 GT3 phase 2, Touring or not with a BVM (standard in a Touring).
So, I wonder what can be used in the sport mode chassis except on a "billiard" or on a circuit while on the R, I tend to put it in certain circumstances.
The gearbox is like the R, soft, precise, well locked and the clutch is also effortless. Nothing to do with the gearbox of RS 4.0.

There is the famous button now called "auto blip", "sport" in the R, which realizes for you, the famous heel / toe with a small shot of gas really well dosed.
It's hard to do that as well, in all circumstances. I especially love a car like the SPEEDSTER which is more accessible to all drivers.
Beyond all these technical considerations, there is real pleasure to ride on small roads at a steady pace and the car only asks for that.
In a way, it makes me think of the bigger better boxster S, not really heavier but much more powerful.
This pleasure is more intense hair in the wind of course and as by chance the bakery Sunday morning away a little more each day ...
Thank you for the comparison! Really liking the Speedster more and more.
In the mean time it shows how special the 991 R is.

997 RS 4.0 - 991 R - 991 Speedster is a hell of a car park to have. Enjoy!
Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 831 Likes on 381 Posts

Not much of a picture

The following users liked this post:
MovingChicane (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:14 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Blue stitching very cool, what is the exterior color?
Old 11-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 831 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Blue stitching very cool, what is the exterior color?
Maritime. Ordered without ever seeing it in the flesh. I'm quite pleased.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jamie140:
Garydose (11-03-2019), JPMD (11-01-2019), NevB (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 04:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Such a tease.

Congrats.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:53 PM
RDM2418
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

Oslo.
The following 7 users liked this post by RDM2418:
928cs (11-03-2019), evilfij (11-10-2019), Garydose (11-02-2019), JPMD (11-03-2019), Maxemus (11-03-2019), NevB (11-02-2019), Targa Tim (11-02-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-01-2019, 10:11 PM
RDM2418
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

Car drives different than .2 GT3 parked next to it. Feels different. I need to drive it more to articulate it.

It just came back from full wrap.

Tri with Endless Protective Solutions did the wrap and it's perfect (I can't even see where he wrapped it). We now have a California quality wrap guy in Houston.

Front window paint is like a matte. Which I didn't notice until now - he was able to make the wrap look seamless by matching the paint/wrap. He used Premium Shield and it's the best film I've seen.

Paint had a couple of issues from the factory he was able to fix.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:28 AM
Fcastel04
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

PTS Meissen Blue, LTS Bordeaux-Pepita CXX interior

The following 4 users liked this post by Fcastel04:
evilfij (11-10-2019), icon (01-25-2023), MovingChicane (08-20-2020), timisnthere (12-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:07 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 998 Likes on 433 Posts

Looks like Meissen Blue is going to be a popular PTS color on the Speedster!

Finally, a Speedster that didn't come with black interior
The following 2 users liked this post by unotaz:
Chewylewis (11-03-2019), JAM2 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:43 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Terrific build. So nice to see the unique interior...
Old 11-03-2019, 05:01 AM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smuoio
Terrific build. So nice to see the unique interior...
unique but not match with yellow calipers...
Old 11-03-2019, 05:14 AM
Fcastel04
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman_fr
unique but not match with yellow calipers...
Well the Yellow calipers simply suits perfectly with the exterior Meissen Blue bright color and the Satin Alum wheels
The Bordeaux is a classic 356 Speedster color for the interior
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (11-10-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Maritime. Ordered without ever seeing it in the flesh. I'm quite pleased.
Great color.

Love the stitching

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Speedster pictures thread