Sponsored by:

Squeaky steering wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 AM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Squeaky steering wheel???

.2 GT3RS - I pulled the wheel off to do some mods - reinstalled, torqued correctly, reinstalled airbag and now the wheel squeaks SO BAD from the center / airbag area. It sounds and feels like it’s in a slight bind when you move the wheel left or right from the center position. I can feel a slight rubbing and the noise is overwhelming with the radio off. It only happens when turning the wheel an inch or two from the center position and feels slightly sticky.

Uggg - I never noticed a squeak before steering wheel removal - has anyone else had this issue? I took it apart tonight, checked torque specs, reinstalled, still squeaks. Any ideas RL??
Old 07-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 07-20-2019, 03:35 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Did you modify the steering wheel? I could see how the back panel of the wheel is not fully seated and rubbing on the cowl. Can you get a business card behind the wheel?
Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 AM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Nailed it - thank you so much! I stripped the threads reinstalling paddle shift switch, I had a slightly larger bolt on the switch that was preventing the rear panel from fully seating. Filed the bolt head down now it’s good as new.

The back of the wheel was squeaking against the leather steering column and it was driving me NUTS. Thanks again Evilfiji. Here’s a relevant joke for you as a small thanks:

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel attached the front of his pants. The bartender says, “hey you know you got a steering wheel attached to your pants??”

The pirate says,

”Yarr! It’s driving me nuts!”

Originally Posted by evilfij
Did you modify the steering wheel? I could see how the back panel of the wheel is not fully seated and rubbing on the cowl. Can you get a business card behind the wheel?
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 01:54 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Ha. A steering wheel joke. Glad I could help, even more glad you got it sorted! I guess taking apart my wood wheel to de-multifunction it provided some benefit to someone else.

I like fixing things, and the steering wheel was a fun one. It beats rebuilding the Jeep computer and replacing a soil pipe that are on my list for this week. 🤣

Quick Reply: Squeaky steering wheel???