Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Threw engine code connecting battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:52 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Thought I would give an update. Talked with my Porsche service today and they said it was fine to just clear it. Most likely just related to disconnecting the battery and nothing actually wrong with the car.

Maybe that was already obvious, but it wasn't totally clear to me. So, thought I would just throw it out there in case anyone else runs into the same issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by AllAboutThatP:
evilfij (08-12-2019), RossP (11-10-2021)
Old 08-12-2019, 03:14 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

I've owned Turbine Aircraft for many years, most recently a TBM700. Aircraft Batteries cost 10X Car
Batteries. Our TBM Owners Assn (TBMOPA) did a 3 year study on the best battery chargers, and
concluded The Battery Minders, (800) 379-5579 or Amazon) with their Pulse Mode and Auto Float
features, provided the longest Battery Life. I use the wire provided with their chargers connecting it
directly to all my car's batteries. I run the charger plug under the battery cover and into the Front
luggage area to plug in my Battery Minders. They have never caused any panel fault display.

Another reason to connect directly to the Battery is to inflate my Tires for the ride home from the
Track after deflating them to achieve the 30-32 PSI Hot pressures I'm looking for with the MPSC2's.
I've long since given up using the anemic small compressors which connect through the Lighter Plug
and its low-current 5 Amp fuse in favor of the KENSUN Tire Inflator ($59.95 on Amazon). Its strong
Compressor inflates Tires 4X faster. I cut off the Kensun plug and soldered a compatible connector
from Battery Minder so the pigtail does double duty.
matching Battery Minder compatible Plug.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Thought I would give an update. Talked with my Porsche service today and they said it was fine to just clear it. Most likely just related to disconnecting the battery and nothing actually wrong with the car.

Maybe that was already obvious, but it wasn't totally clear to me. So, thought I would just throw it out there in case anyone else runs into the same issue.
well I just installed an Anti gravity Li Ion battery in my car (991.2 GT3) and it threw the same code, I cleared the check engine light, but the OBD-II app seems to indicate that this code is "permanent" - not sure what that means other than the dealer will see it next time they check the ECU

what a PITA
Old 09-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well I just installed an Anti gravity Li Ion battery in my car (991.2 GT3) and it threw the same code, I cleared the check engine light, but the OBD-II app seems to indicate that this code is "permanent" - not sure what that means other than the dealer will see it next time they check the ECU

what a PITA
Not sure why it would display that way either as I think this is the first time someone has mentioned the "permanent" state...but as I think someone touched on earlier...usually it clears it elf after the vehicle realizes and adjusts to the new battery or via the OBD as you did, definitely keep us in the loop and let us know if you see anything change or hear different from the dealer.
Best regards,
-Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 09-11-2020, 12:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Not sure why it would display that way either as I think this is the first time someone has mentioned the "permanent" state...but as I think someone touched on earlier...usually it clears it elf after the vehicle realizes and adjusts to the new battery or via the OBD as you did, definitely keep us in the loop and let us know if you see anything change or hear different from the dealer.
Best regards,
-Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 09-12-2020, 12:41 AM
gt3touring
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

what a PITA
It seems anytime you disconnect the battery on a 991.2 GT3, it will through this Engine Control Fault. I've disconnected my factory battery in the past and it always throws this code.

Like others have said, any OBD code reader can clear the code and you unless your car has issues, it won't come back.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:45 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3touring
It seems anytime you disconnect the battery on a 991.2 GT3, it will through this Engine Control Fault. I've disconnected my factory battery in the past and it always throws this code.

Like others have said, any OBD code reader can clear the code and you unless your car has issues, it won't come back.
you can clear the code, but it remains in the ECU memory...
Old 09-12-2020, 04:02 AM
gt3touring
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

you can clear the code, but it remains in the ECU memory...
When you say it's in ECU memory, how are you verifying this? Are you using PIWIS to verify?

Usually permanent codes have to do with emission control devices.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3touring
When you say it's in ECU memory, how are you verifying this? Are you using PIWIS to verify?

Usually permanent codes have to do with emission control devices.
my OBD-II reader shows the code as "permanent" whenever I re-read the car, this a after clearing the fault code initially and cycling the cars power, so it is recorded in the permanent (nonvolatile) log.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:23 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

My Aircraft and my Porsche all use Battery Minder as well.

They are 1st rate and the 1 time it acted up they sent me out a new circuit board right away at my option.
Ian

Quick Reply: Threw engine code connecting battery tender