Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Man -> PDK ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses- this is a fantastic forum (as long as its not a value thread which are tedious). Agree the GT3 may not be the best daily driver but its so much fun i just hate to leave it garaged esp with the short chicago driving season....but that means driving it in rush hour, etc and maybe im getting old but perhaps chicago traffic is also beating the 3rd
pedal out of me (as another poster said very eloquently above).....so now the question is do i want a pdk because im getting 3 pedal fatigue in general or is it situational in which driving the RS3 more and the manual GT3 opportunistically would be the best solution? Grrrrrrrr
I used to live in Chicago. How are the potholes with a GT3 up there? Assuming you live and work in the city
Old 06-19-2019, 05:19 PM
kash101
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I test drove both and went with the PDK. I live in LA, so the few times I was stuck in traffic during the test drives killed any romantic fantasies of shifting the gears on an open mountain road.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
I used to live in Chicago. How are the potholes with a GT3 up there? Assuming you live and work in the city
^ what he said. I was up there a couple weeks ago. I think my lowered 458 would be totaled in a few blocks lol
Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 PM
aaa335
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Its not just the transmission that makes the GT3 a poor daily driver. The low ride height, stiff suspension, poor sound insulation and difficulty getting in and out also contribute. Not to mention the fact you have to dodge other distracted drivers in rush hour traffic in your $150k plus pride and joy. Getting the PDK won't change any of those things. On the other hand all these things also make it a blast to drive when you have the time and energy to enjoy the experience. I often end up parking the 3 during the week and just taking it out the weekends, It gives every drive a sense of occasion... RS3 sounds like a great DD.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:28 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by aaa335
Its not just the transmission that makes the GT3 a poor daily driver. The low ride height, stiff suspension, poor sound insulation and difficulty getting in and out also contribute. Not to mention the fact you have to dodge other distracted drivers in rush hour traffic in your $150k plus pride and joy. Getting the PDK won't change any of those things. On the other hand all these things also make it a blast to drive when you have the time and energy to enjoy the experience. I often end up parking the 3 during the week and just taking it out the weekends, It gives every drive a sense of occasion... RS3 sounds like a great DD.
I enjoy driving to work in it once or twice a week and take a coworker to lunch before ripping up and down the Dallas toll road. Then we casually go back to work. Also take a different route to work that allows me to open it up.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 AM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks for talking me off the ledge, fellas. Will try out driving the RS3 more day-to-day (which is a grin-inducing chuckable blast of turbocharged power) and the GT3 on weekends, etc. Getting SOUL side-muffler bypasses installed this week (in addition to Sharkwerks center bypass) may help out too. I doing think going all dual-clutch is the best answer at this point.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
If we are talking daily driving, i just don’t think a GT3 is the right tool for the job. In stop and go traffic I would not care for a manual, either. But if you are fine daily driving a GT3, the PDK is brilliant. Possibly the best dual clutch on the planet. Really unlocks the car for us mortals. But since you are a manual guy, I just don’t know if the PDK would be something you would warm up to.

I would probably keep the manual and designate it for weekend duty. I think you’d miss it otherwise.
Well said!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:12 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
I enjoy driving to work in it once or twice a week and take a coworker to lunch before ripping up and down the Dallas toll road. Then we casually go back to work. Also take a different route to work that allows me to open it up.
When it isn’t thunder storming😂 Wild weather we have here.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

if u like manual get manuel
if u like pdk get pdk
dont let commute hinder u
i m traffic (2 miles can be 90 min). doesn’t bother me to drive stick. it’s like a reflex thing. i
can still conf call and drink
latte
Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

PDK is brilliant, but Manual > PDK; it is just more engaging.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Man -> PDK ?