Sponsored by:

track app.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:11 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by asenna8
I have used the Track app since I got my GT3 with good results once I programmed my track into it. I think it is more than adequate for the data I need to assess my driving on track. I updated to the new app and have not had any issues revisiting old track sessions with the new User interface. I know there are much better data loggers, but it works well for me.

Randall
Same here.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by asenna8
I I updated to the new app and have not had any issues revisiting old track sessions with the new User interface.
The update does work for reviewing prior sessions. A couple crashes here and there but this part seems to largely function in v3.0.1 (iPhone).

The issue I encountered was inability to record any new data. It did pick up that I was at Watkins Glen so GPS is working to some degree, but it never registered crossing the start/finish line so never even began logging. Failed both with VBox Sport external and internal iPhone GPS. I even created a new track in case the apps built in track was off, but same result.

When PTPA does work it can be quite powerful, but I am tiring of the continual cycle where I get it to work, then they break something. The last version in the v2 release worked quite well for me and used it last month successfully. Recommend waiting on v3 for a bit longer.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
The update does work for reviewing prior sessions. A couple crashes here and there but this part seems to largely function in v3.0.1 (iPhone).

The issue I encountered was inability to record any new data. It did pick up that I was at Watkins Glen so GPS is working to some degree, but it never registered crossing the start/finish line so never even began logging. Failed both with VBox Sport external and internal iPhone GPS. I even created a new track in case the apps built in track was off, but same result.

When PTPA does work it can be quite powerful, but I am tiring of the continual cycle where I get it to work, then they break something. The last version in the v2 release worked quite well for me and used it last month successfully. Recommend waiting on v3 for a bit longer.
Interesting that it failed with the recommend VBox Sport, I had attributed some of the issues to poor GPS on iPhoneX.

When reviewing prior sessions, I would be interested if "Add comparison lap" works for anyone, immediate crash for me. the good part of the app is that I am learning to use the data more to analyze what I am really doing vs what I thought I was doing. this will undoubtedly lead to a purchase of VBOX HD2 at some point.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:07 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

The app shouldn’t be using the iPhone internal GPS if you have PCM4.0, GPS should be coming in at 10hz from the car.

V2 never worked for me. It was terrible, would stop recording data part way thru sessions. If I used an external gps it would get times but no data.

I tested v3 on a personally recorded track driving around a park. It worked! It did lose gps data for about 15 secs on a lap but the app recovered successfully and still got the lap and merged the data well. I still need to test more but I’m hopeful. The analysis UI is better than Harry’s except for one missing feature. Plus you get brake pressure, steering angle, ESC etc that you can’t get thru the odbii.

Fingers crossed they are investing more given its been expanded to all 2 door Porsches.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:17 AM
sushisean
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lisocayman
The app shouldn’t be using the iPhone internal GPS if you have PCM4.0, GPS should be coming in at 10hz from the car.

V2 never worked for me. It was terrible, would stop recording data part way thru sessions. If I used an external gps it would get times but no data.

I tested v3 on a personally recorded track driving around a park. It worked! It did lose gps data for about 15 secs on a lap but the app recovered successfully and still got the lap and merged the data well. I still need to test more but I’m hopeful. The analysis UI is better than Harry’s except for one missing feature. Plus you get brake pressure, steering angle, ESC etc that you can’t get thru the odbii.

Fingers crossed they are investing more given its been expanded to all 2 door Porsches.
That’s the first I’ve heard of the .2 cars with PCM having a 10hz gps. If that’s the case I don’t need my external 10hz gps I’ve been using. How’d you discover that/

also yes, the apps worked 90%of the time for me and I like it
Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

Porsche website for the 991.2 GT3 has a section on the app and details it’s 10hz with PCM 4.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 PM
sushisean
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lisocayman
Porsche website for the 991.2 GT3 has a section on the app and details it’s 10hz with PCM 4.
that's great, one less thing I have to deal with at the track, thanks!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

No problem. No if Porsche can just invest on reliability of the app we could have a winner. I want this app to work so badly.

Quick Reply: track app.