991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedster or GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019 | 05:49 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Fully agree. CGT have no Front Air Lift thus the inevitable scraping if you did not plan your route trip. Without a doubt CGT is a special car.

918 is more usable indeed. Regardless either car is unique in its own identity and features, and will draw a crowd.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by unotaz
If it comes down to it, I would keep the 918 because you can actually drive it around. In my opinion, the 918 is one of the best overall supercar. CGT excels in certain areas, but overall, I rate the 918 higher than the CGT. This is not some car journalist or Youtubers doing a 15mins video review. This is after years of ownership of both cars.

The CGT is a special occasion car, meaning unless you don't give a crap about your car, you would literally scrape and bottom out everywhere. You need to plan where you go with the CGT, including which specific gas stations, which plazas you could park at, and which canyons you can drive on.
Old 05-27-2019 | 06:02 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Here is my two cent. In the Porsche world, I think the 918 is the deal of the century. Full stop. Car is impeccably engineered with great build quality/finish and the value of the car will appreciate over time. The VIP program is just icing on the cake.

While the 918 recall is very public information and Porsche has been very forthcoming about them, the Mclaren P1 has had so many issues but none of the owners will share them in the public domain. I know of 5 owners (personal friends of mine, not including SR) that has had numerous issues on their P1 (two batteries overheated on track due to design flaw and had to be replaced, one got locked inside his car, cracked exhaust pipe, cracked windshield, AC stops working, etc etc). I was on the list for the P1 and after driving it on Dunsfold and it just felt to me as a glorified MP4-12C. P1 is very exciting to drive, Mclaren has gotten most of the key elements dialed in correctly with the exception of the braking system. P1 is a more driver's car than the 918, but it wasn't engineered properly. Don't get me started on the battery cooling design or the placement of the battery hybrid system.

As for the LaFerrari, I believe it's the best looking of the holy trinity and if I was a big fish in the Ferrari world (which I am not), I would buy one at MSRP in a heart beat. That's a no brainer for me! That Ferrari V12 is something very special. I drove my friend's LaFerrari and had plenty of seat time as a passenger and I feel like the Ferrari would be just as capable on track as the 918/P1 if it had some Cup 2 tires instead of the crappy Corsas.

It's been 5 years since the holy trinity came out, and among my group of friends, only the LaFerrari and the 918 are still mentioned in our discussion of cars. My 5 friends who owned the P1, 4 of them sold their cars. Nobody talks about the P1 anymore because frankly, it's just another turbo v8 car. Mclaren did the P1 no favor at all when it came out with the 720S (and then later, the Senna), which is what I call a "two generation" car. The 720 is so fast, so well engineered (Mclaren still needs to work on its build quality), it forced Ferrari to speed up its product cycle and came out with the F8 Tributo (which uses the Pista engine).

Give it another 5-10 years time, and let's see where the P1 stand in history with its turbo V8 compared to the NA engines in the 918 (9150rpm) or the LaFerrari (9250rpm).

P.S. Since the first batch of 918 has just gone out of warranty, I guess we will find out first hand at how expensive the 918 is to maintain vs. the CGT. My last CGT major service bill was 33K (including a new clutch) and when it's time for the next major service, I will probably need to redo the transmission because the CGT second gear synchro is notoriously ****ty. Of course, you wouldn't know because your friend's CGT is literally "brand new"

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Just a point on the holy trinity... 918 doesn't hold a candle to P1 & LaF.. if you could purchase all three at MSRP, there is not a chance in hell you'd pick the 918 vs the LaF.. its closer between P1 & 918 but still, 918 is a very remote feeling car and doesn't give nearly the same driving experience as the other two.. it's been said many times I know, but 918 is like a videogame set to "easy" mode. P1 is Alive with the classic superior mclaren steering feel and while it can feel a bit raw (in an unfinished product sort of way), it's an event every time you drive. The LaF, that thing is just sublime... next level, best sound, dynamically balanced, you don't feel the (significantly lighter) weight, perfectly finished. Dynamically Superior, best brakes.. not a contest. the only advantage 918 has is if you had bought all three hypercars, is that it opened up the owner to the world of MSRP Porsches for 10 years, but aside from the 918 VIP program.. mmmm, I'm not sure sure the 918 would be the top one at all.

On the point of CGT maintenance costs vs 918... 918 is on a magnitude higher than CGT.. check the recall bills for the SEVEN recalls the 918 has had before warranty ran out.. the out of warranty expense of owning that hybrid technical tour de force is going to a world away from CGT which is relatively simple to work on in that context. Not sure where you got $40k to replace battery, add a zero and you're not too far off, again, just the current recalls with engine out where next level. CGT remains the "son of F1" on the desirability and "keepability" scale.. it's truly the last analog supercar and while there will be other faster hybrid/electric/1000hp+ machines for years, nothing but nothing will surpass the CGT for driving pleasure.

I'm still trying to find time to make the CGT vs 918 video we shot on the Dragon during Smokies, I want to get the editing just right as it's such a rare direct comparo with both cars being driven at 8/10ths+, that it has to be gotten right.

But, back on track with this thread.. hypercars are such a different world from "normal" supercars stuff like gt2rs & speedster, not sure how they even fit in this thread convo.

Last edited by unotaz; 05-27-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2019 | 06:21 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Just as a refresher, Top Gear produced the show "Holy Trinity" Grand Tour Season-1 Episode-1. Same track, same day, same driver. All factory spec'd. It can be viewed at Amazon Prime Movie. If you don't have it, it is free for 30 trial days.

Guess who ended at the top?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:
Top Gear Holy Trinity Top Gear Holy Trinity
Old 05-27-2019 | 06:26 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Don't agree with that - depends what you want (and I did put my money where my mouth is...). The 918 is a brilliant cross country GT car, and much more all-round useable than the others. Maybe the best Gt car yet made, and level of engineering excellence is much higher than the other two of the 'trinity', IMO.

CGT is a special car, and much more exciting and, but again is less useable than a 918.
They are all very different, but even now the 918 is the only one i'd consider buying (again) of the 3 most recent, albeit a CGT would be first in line.

Agree it is going to be very expensive to maintain out of warranty, and 2 major fixes, on Porsche's tab, were a big part of why I sold it.
Old 05-27-2019 | 06:28 PM
ACPORSCHE
Advanced

If it comes down to it, I would keep the 918 because you can actually drive it around. In my opinion, the 918 is one of the best overall supercar. CGT excels in certain areas, but overall, I rate the 918 higher than the CGT. This is not some car journalist or Youtubers doing a 15mins video review. This is after years of ownership of both cars.

The CGT is a special occasion car, meaning unless you don't give a crap about your car, you would literally scrape and bottom out everywhere. You need to plan where you go with the CGT, including which specific gas stations, which plazas you could park at, and which canyons you can drive on.
Very true... CGT is like nothing else but it definitely is not the type of car you can just decide to go out for a drive in casually. SInger checks that box perfectly IMO, but 918 is the ultimate supercar/hypercar for Porsche fans
Old 05-27-2019 | 06:53 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

To bring this thread somewhat back on topic ...

Cars like the CGT are a thing of the past, with all the regulations Porsche couldn't build a street legal one today even if they wanted to.

In a way this 991 Speedster is a toned down descendent of it. A naturally aspirated manual tranny open top with a GT engine. It's a bit of a stretch, you won't get the cup car connection to the road or a Le Mans engine screaming behind you, but it is as close as you're going to get in 2019 from Porsche or any other manufacturer.
Old 05-27-2019 | 11:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

^ Very hard to argue with the above, and always nice to see a longterm owner's perspective. Also agree about taking advice from anyone who only has a day's (or an hour's) time with these cars, as it took me about 200~ miles before I began to even feel sort of comfortable exercising the CGT. The 918 was far easier to warm up to quickly, but little can prepare you for the way it accelerates. Put about 1200~ miles on both cars and lived with them in the real world of San Francisco and roads north—in addition to track time in both cars. Everything said above is spot on with re: to CGT use. You have to think ahead, know what you're doing and where you're going, etc. I thought about which gas stations, and while I could drive the CGT in SF without issue, I did pick my routes in a way I never had before and haven't had to since. The clutch wasn't the problem, it was the lack of nose lift—which was a glaring omission even when the CGT was new. Russian Hill in a CGT? Better pick your path carefully, and know how to angle while working around the expectations of other drivers on top of that. Certain driveways, or gas stations (more than you'd think)? Forget it. Years later, I was in a 918 when I got stuck in a 1.5-hour traffic jam out of the Financial District en route to the Bay Bridge. With ePower mode and Bluetooth, I was as comfortable as I would've been in a Benz. Made phone calls, and arrived at the destination as fresh as I left for it. In the CGT, it would have been a long, painful ordeal...especially for the 30-minute uphill drudgery those last few blocks before the onramp.

I've said it many times: The 918 is a much better car, and a MUCH better car for most customers. However, I'd still take the CGT…

Originally Posted by soulsea
To bring this thread somewhat back on topic ...

Cars like the CGT are a thing of the past, with all the regulations Porsche couldn't build a street legal one today even if they wanted to.

In a way this 991 Speedster is a toned down descendent of it. A naturally aspirated manual tranny open top with a GT engine. It's a bit of a stretch, you won't get the cup car connection to the road or a Le Mans engine screaming behind you, but it is as close as you're going to get in 2019 from Porsche or any other manufacturer.
^ Fwiw, this is the way I went into the Speedster. Turned out to be the wrong way to head into it…

New 911 Speedster is more 911R meets 991.1 Carrera GTS Cabriolet, which is to say it's a damn good car and a far more alluring device than the last 911 Speedster (at least to me). But if you're looking for CGT thrills, even toned down ones, it may not be your ride.

Originally Posted by ACPORSCHE
Very true... CGT is like nothing else but it definitely is not the type of car you can just decide to go out for a drive in casually.
Can see someone adding a Speedster for this reason liking the car quite a lot.

Mainly, I hope those who do will drive the things...they are very functional with no real downsides vs a regular 911 in terms of utility. Nose lift is therefore a no-brainer, so it can be used anytime/anywhere/everywhere.
Old 05-28-2019 | 12:19 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout

^ Fwiw, this is the way I went into the Speedster. Turned out to be the wrong way to head into it…

New 911 Speedster is more 911R meets 991.1 Carrera GTS Cabriolet, which is to say it's a damn good car and a far more alluring device than the last 911 Speedster (at least to me). But if you're looking for CGT thrills, even toned down ones, it may not be your ride.
Hi there.

I wasn't suggesting for a minute that either my, or anyone else's expectations of the Speedster should be analogous to the CGT driving experience, or that it's in any way a modern substitute. The two cars have a few seeds in common, but like I said there will never be another CGT again.

I always come from the perspective that expectations are the building blocks of disappointment, so I look forward to the Speedster experience as a stand alone one.

After the experience has been absorbed I am willing to compare it to other cars I've owned, including the R, but I'll let the that happen ink that order.

Eta: Thank you for doing the review btw, before it I was 50/50 on accepting my allocation but your observations were a notable variable that swayed me to go through with it.
Old 05-28-2019 | 12:25 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soulsea
Hi there.

I wasn't suggesting for a minute that either my, or anyone else's expectations of the Speedster should be analogous to the CGT driving experience, or that it's in any way a modern substitute. The two cars have a few seeds in common, but like I said there will never be another CGT again.

I always come from the perspective that expectations are the building blocks of disappointment, so I look forward to the Speedster experience as a stand alone one.

After the experience has been absorbed I am willing to compare it to other cars I've owned, including the R, but I'll let the that happen ink that order.
Good evening.

Wasn't taking your words as a suggestion of such at all, actually—but they so closely aligned with how I viewed the Speedster going into my first drive in one that I was struck by them. Also fully agree with you on the bolded above, and will be curious to circle back to your take on the Speedster in time!
Old 05-28-2019 | 01:50 AM
bradb1us
Advanced

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
But if you could only have one (918 or CGT), which one do you pick?
I have all three plus others.

Without a doubt, and it’s not even close, I would keep the CGT over the 918. It’s the best drivers car ever made.

In fact, I’d keep my new gt2rs over the 918.

Quick Reply: Speedster or GT2RS