Sponsored by:

991R shift knob for Touring with CXX carbon shifter, GT silver stitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 10:55 PM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 991R shift **** for Touring with CXX carbon shifter, GT silver stitch

Ordered carbon fiber shifter via CXX for my touring, which has GT silver stitch. Difference from the R shifter is that the black top of the R version was not available via CXX for the Touring.

Few questions for the experts:
1. Is it possible to order and swap just the black indicator top of the shift ****?

2. Suncoast has the R shifter with "silver" stitch on the boot. Anyone know if this is specifically GT silver stitch? (The guy at Suncoast was very helpful, but not sure if this is GT silver.)

3. Seems to be some differences of opinion whether it's possible to change out just the ****, keeping the original boot, but looks like this is possible. If so, I assume it's easier to change just the **** vs the whole thing?

Thanks.

Last edited by tahoeblue; 05-13-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:59 PM
sgnl05
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

1. I don’t believe this is an option.
2. My guess would be platinum (and not GT silver) since that’s been the default stitch for the 991 gen GT cars.
3. Totally possible, not a problem, I’ve done two of them already. Each in easily under 5 minutes. Feel free to pm if you have any questions.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:13 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

I popped the **** off of the Suncoast part myself and upon delivery of the car, the service team at Porsche DTLA was kind enough to swap out the stock **** for the R **** free of charge. Not sure if the boot from Suncoast and the factory boot are exactly the same color (I have GT silver stitching as well) because I am still not in possession of my car (it's being wrapped and having other modifications by Moe in OC). I will be able to compare the two soon. The point is moot, though, because I wanted to keep the factory boot in order to be 100% sure that the stitching matched perfectly.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 92 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoeblue
Ordered carbon fiber shifter via CXX for my touring, which has GT silver stitch. Difference from the R shifter is that the black top of the R version was not available via CXX for the Touring.

Few questions for the experts:
1. Is it possible to order and swap just the black indicator top of the shift ****?

2. Suncoast has the R shifter with "silver" stitch on the boot. Anyone know if this is specifically GT silver stitch? (The guy at Suncoast was very helpful, but not sure if this is GT silver.)

3. Seems to be some differences of opinion whether it's possible to change out just the ****, keeping the original boot, but looks like this is possible. If so, I assume it's easier to change just the **** vs the whole thing?

Thanks.
1. No. The trim is not available by itself.

2. yes it is GT Silver.

3. Not sure I understand the question but it's easier to start with complete **** but from there anything is customizable. We have done quite a few custom boots & shifters for the GT3 owners. All pics can be seen on our Instagram page.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:56 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

so you have to buy the shifter with the boot?, you can't just get the carbon **** part?
Old 05-14-2019, 05:05 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
so you have to buy the shifter with the boot?, you can't just get the carbon **** part?
Correct. Runs about $1000 from Suncoast
Very easy to just swap the **** although I had a hell of a time getting the **** attached without twisting the boot. Every time I'd get it on properly, the boot would twist and incorrectly align the stitching. Was getting very frustrated and I told myself "one more time" and it worked that time. No idea what I did differently.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

those CF ***** look awesome. I love the contrasting white or silver lettering on top.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosef
those CF ***** look awesome. I love the contrasting white or silver lettering on top.
It should have been a factory option, the base **** doesn't fit the car..the CXX one has mis matched top

My favorite mod I did to my car..and $1,000 is crazy money for a **** lol
Old 05-14-2019, 10:13 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

ok, lemme understand,I have to buy the boot, but can remove the **** from the boot and put it on my car and use my original boot that matches, right?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:32 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

Correct
Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 AM
sgnl05
Advanced

Originally Posted by tonymission
Correct. Runs about $1000 from Suncoast
Very easy to just swap the **** although I had a hell of a time getting the **** attached without twisting the boot. Every time I'd get it on properly, the boot would twist and incorrectly align the stitching. Was getting very frustrated and I told myself "one more time" and it worked that time. No idea what I did differently.

Tony -
(and anyone else interested in swapping the shift knöb)
When you seat the new knöb on the gear stick, you need to lift the knöb back up maybe ~1/4". What happens is that the tabs inside the knöb contract and will not allow rotation of the collar to correct placement. The knöb tabs contract with boot collar rotation so they need a little bit of space from the gear stick. It's a little difficult to explain but once you have the parts in front of you it quickly makes sense.

This was my install order:
1) Loosely connect boot to new shift knöb but do not rotate boot collar to final position
2) Thread knöb to gear stick and push all the way down to bottom (with angle of gear stick, essentially angled towards front floor of car)
3) Now pull knöb back up ~1/4" so knöb tabs can relax/open
4) Rotate boot collar around shift knöb - this will seat boot to collar and align stitching properly. If you can't rotate the collar try moving the knöb slightly up or down to catch the notch in the gear stick.
5) Seat boot in place - I actually did this last on one install and first on another. There's enough flexibility with the boot that the order of this didn't make a difference.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM
sgnl05
Advanced

Lightbulb 991 GT3 / 991 911 R shift knöb swap

I had the original close to my desk so I took a few photos to help clarify for anyone that may not have the parts in front of them.

The tabs on the shift knöb.

The shift knöb and boot connected but unlocked. You can see the shift knöb tabs are diagonal to the boot collar. Also note the position of the stitching.

The shift knöb and boot connected and locked. You can see the shift knöb tabs are now inline with the boot collar. Also note the position of the stitching.

Profile of shift knöb and boot. This was more to show the tabs on the bottom of the boot for removal. The tabs at the front of the car pull straight up towards the ceiling of the vehicle. The tabs at the rear are C shaped so they hook into place first for install (and swing upward last on removal).

Hope this helps clear up any doubts/confusion for those considering this install.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (01-30-2020)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Sgnl05 -- Thanks, that makes a lot of sense and I was definitely trying to pre-orientate the **** to account for the twist and then push all the way down but wasn't doing that 1/4" lift like you're saying... well, maybe not until my last attempt.
Hopefully I won't have to do it again, but who knows?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 92 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
It should have been a factory option, the base **** doesn't fit the car..the CXX one has mis matched top

My favorite mod I did to my car..and $1,000 is crazy money for a **** lol
Hard to say it's worth the price tag but the result is worth the effort.

The following users liked this post:
JCBH (08-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 10:58 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

thank you so much for the pictures and install instructions! not to be greedy, but can you share how to remove the original?

Quick Reply: 991R shift knob for Touring with CXX carbon shifter, GT silver stitch