Sponsored by:

991.2 PDK and Manual - Manual felt a lot slower

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:23 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Source? The manual is about 40lbs lighter but your claim is the first I've heard of it.
Google: parasitic loss manual transmission

Bunch of articles
Old 04-10-2019, 03:48 PM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven both and have a manual 991.2. The manual shouldn't be significantly slower around town. You (and I as well) need to practice manual skills and utilizing the power band of the higher revving engine. Also would also bet a little placebo from the louder exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (06-20-2023)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:48 PM
Dustydar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evilfij
That dealer looks familiar. The orange car is a Rennlisters former car. ACsatco. While an exhaust might make a little difference in power, it can make the car sound faster, so if you are not actually timing it, it can feel faster. I doubt there is something wrong with the car as if it was way down on power it would have a check engine light. But I am sure they would run a DME scan if you had concerns.
I don't think it was the exhaust. Just felt sluggish. Just need to drive another manual to confirm it's not that car.

Originally Posted by GT3
Maybe all the Orange interior bits made it slow
Haha. I liked the gray with the CF panels. The orange all over the place looked tacky imo.

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hmm. The engine could be on the way out. Any chance you can test drive another manual?
Planning on doing that as soon as I find one as I am leaning towards going with a manual.

Originally Posted by StanfordCardGT3
Surprised you're getting all these test drives..=)
Why is that a surprise ? I would not dump 200k on a used car without driving it first. Besides this is a GT3, not a Pagani or a Senna. lol!

Originally Posted by 9914s
Are the gear ratios the same between the manual and PDK?
Can't be the same since the pdk has 7 gears. That said I have had a DCT M3 and current ride is a 6 speed M3. They pull the same except have to shift a littler early on the DCT.

Originally Posted by bigdog1250
It all depends on what gear you're doing a pull in, in the PDK it will downshift to the optimal gear for power. If you're in a manual and didn't downshift enough (those first few gears are long), you might have been really low in the rev range and the car will feel a lot slower as these engines need to be in the upper revs in order to make power.
I was always in manual mode in the pdk. Mostly pulled in 2nd and 3rd. Same with the Manual. Both cars were mostly in 1-2-3 when I was doing some pulls vs cruising when I shifted to higher gears.

Originally Posted by fansonly
I had PDK winged version and Manual touring. PDK def felt faster because I could downshift with a quick flip of the wrist. All power is in the higher rev range.
Always in manual mode. I didn't use auto when i was doing some pulls.

Originally Posted by drdonger
The manual actually puts down more power to the wheels, so that is pretty odd. Also in drag races from a roll, the manual is faster.
That's good to know as I am leaning towards a manual.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Dustydar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunnySD
I've driven both and have a manual 991.2. The manual shouldn't be significantly slower around town. You (and I as well) need to practice manual skills and utilizing the power band of the higher revving engine. Also would also bet a little placebo from the louder exhaust.
Haha. I consider myself pretty well versed with the manual as that's all I have driven for the last 25 years with the exception of a DCT M3. My current ride is a 6 speed M3 and before that was a 6 speed E90 M3 which was a high revving V8.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:30 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is a pic of my dyno. Mustang dyno's read low too. I haven't seen a stock PDK car put down higher numbers on a Mustang.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:15 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
While an exhaust might make a little difference in power...
I doubt a center delete will make any increase in power. If anything, it might actually decrease power. The handful of vendors who have posted dynos showing significant gains from a CENTER BYPASS... I'm skeptical.

it can make the car sound faster, so if you are not actually timing it, it can feel faster.
I actually think it's the other way around. The car sounds faster, when it's not. So to me it makes it feel slower. Just my opinion

Originally Posted by 9914s
Are the gear ratios the same between the manual and PDK?
No. The ratios are different and the PDK is 7 gears, manual is 6.

Originally Posted by bigdog1250
It all depends on what gear you're doing a pull in, in the PDK it will downshift to the optimal gear for power.
He said he was in manual mode. In second gear. He's not gonna downshift to 1st for a pull in gear, while rolling.

Originally Posted by fansonly
I had PDK winged version and Manual touring. PDK def felt faster because I could downshift with a quick flip of the wrist. All power is in the higher rev range.
He said he was in manual mode. In second gear. He's not gonna downshift to 1st for a pull in gear, while rolling.

The manual actually puts down more power to the wheels, so that is pretty odd. Also in drag races from a roll, the manual is faster.
This is what I've heard/read as well. Having driving a few PDK GT3s and a .2 GT3RS, my immediate thought was that the manual is faster WHILE IN GEAR, doing a pull. But the PDK can shift so much faster than I could ever hope to do, that any difference in power/acceleration will more than be made up for by the PDK. The added drag on the RS might have been a factor as well.

Originally Posted by krell
Source? The manual is about 40lbs lighter but your claim is the first I've heard of it.
It's been discussed to death in a bunch of other threads.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:20 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 684 Posts

Driven both a manual and my own personal PDK 2018 GT3s. Manual GT3 felt about 5% more powerful in same gear at same RPM, to due less parasitic power loss and 40lb weight loss.

I'd drive another manual, and if doesn't feel as strong or stronger than the PDK, then your butt dyno is off. If the second manual GT3 you drive feels as strong or stronger as the PDK, then I would avoid the first manual you drove.
Larry Cable (06-20-2023)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

I have both a manual GT3 and PDK RS. I definitely do not feel what you are experiencing.
Larry Cable (06-20-2023)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have both a manual GT3 and PDK RS. I definitely do not feel what you are experiencing.
Do either feel faster to you?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
It would be very interesting to put both a manual .2 GT3 and a .2 RS on the same dyno on the same day. Results could be very close.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
It would be very interesting to put both a manual .2 GT3 and a .2 RS on the same dyno on the same day. Results could be very close.
How does one account for different gear ratios between the two when interpreting dyno charts? Do you input the actual gear ratios into the dyno software?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Mike (Naples)
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The pdk car may have had the exhaust valve vacuum lines pulled, which would have made a big difference below 4k rpm. The Porsche stock software doesn't open those valves until fairly high up in the rpm curve, whether in sport mode or not. The result is a noticeable increase in pull as soon as the valves open.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike (Naples)
The pdk car may have had the exhaust valve vacuum lines pulled, which would have made a big difference below 4k rpm. The Porsche stock software doesn't open those valves until fairly high up in the rpm curve, whether in sport mode or not. The result is a noticeable increase in pull as soon as the valves open.
I didn't think the valves affected power, just noise.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:34 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Do either feel faster to you?
The RS is a little faster but the pull with the manual GT3 is great!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:09 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

PDK some times feels faster because the car sort of lurches forward during gear up-shifts( always perfect shifts) where the Manual only rewards perfect shifts but also hinders less than perfect ones. It takes some time getting used the the Clutch ect for the Manual but once one gets a hang of it that all changes.

Quick Reply: 991.2 PDK and Manual - Manual felt a lot slower