Sponsored by:

Gt3rs ruins every car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Smoking Rotors
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanb903
Current gen M3/M4 are not very fun to drive imo. Had 2 E92's and loved both of them. Current gen not so much.
e92's both stick? DSG tip in from stop and rolling is huuuugely annoying. From a stop, it feels like 1/2 second before drivetrain registers there's a request the driver wants power.

(e10tii tip in response with Kugelfischer seriously rivals the 3RS....and maybe better from stop....recipe has changed over time.)
Old 04-03-2019, 04:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I too also have and M3( 2018 w/Competition package). Drove it all Winter and just love the car. Just 3 weeks ago took my .2 GT3 out of storage and I know exactly what you mean.

But - the M3 you can not even be compared to a GT3/RS. It is a four door, sort of light weight(~3500 lbs), rear wheel Daily Driver. Take it for what it is. Drawing a comparison to your RS not fair but it does make one really appreciate Porsche and the "GT" experience even more.
Actually the curb weight of a 2019 M3/M4 ranges from 3600+ to 4100+ lbs. The M3 is a fantastic choice for someone who wants performance, but also requires a usable rear seat.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:21 PM
ryanb903
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smoking Rotors
e92's both stick? DSG tip in from stop and rolling is huuuugely annoying. From a stop, it feels like 1/2 second before drivetrain registers there's a request the driver wants power.

(e10tii tip in response with Kugelfischer seriously rivals the 3RS....and maybe better from stop....recipe has changed over time.)

Both stick.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Actually the curb weight of a 2019 M3/M4 ranges from 3600+ to 4100+ lbs. The M3 is a fantastic choice for someone who wants performance, but also requires a usable rear seat.
they stopped making m3 in 2018 and 4100 lbs is close to m5 territory I don’t think m3 or m4 are that heavy,
Definitely closer to 3600-3700 tops!
Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanb903
Current gen M3/M4 are not very fun to drive imo. Had 2 E92's and loved both of them. Current gen not so much.
E46 M3 was more fun to drive than the E92 M3.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:07 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I too also have and M3( 2018 w/Competition package). Drove it all Winter and just love the car. Just 3 weeks ago took my .2 GT3 out of storage and I know exactly what you mean.

But - the M3 you can not even be compared to a GT3/RS. It is a four door, sort of light weight(~3500 lbs), rear wheel Daily Driver. Take it for what it is. Drawing a comparison to your RS not fair but it does make one really appreciate Porsche and the "GT" experience even more.
The M3 comp is very nice but that DCT is not nearly as good. I got to run the M2, M3, and M4 comp at Thermal during the BMW Ultimate Driver finals and was surprised how relatively slow it shifted and the torque management in M mode (they wouldn’t let us turn off everything except in one challenge). You had to learn how to drive around those relative shortcomings.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:07 PM
n d
Pro

What about Lexus gsf has anyone driven those cars seems that they Have a nice na v8?
my next daily is gonna be the gtc4lussu or the Ferrari ff there v12 sounds incredible!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:09 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 4.0L V8 BMW M3 (non-turbo) as my daily and have had Ferrari's and Porsche's for many years now. The M3 is a blast to drive as a daily. The Ferrari's are just awesome. You have to make your own conclusions. My conclusions on BMW and Ferrari vs Porsche:
BMW M's give you tangible performance while they are thoroughly drivable as daily drivers. The feel of the steering is generally top notch, the dual clutch while not as fast as Porsche or Ferrari, as good as they come when you use the paddles. I do have a M4 GTS and I don't like the turbo engine's lack of linear response - not turbo lag, but non-linear torque and HP curves.
Ferrari's are just fantastic in almost all aspects; the transmission /F1 clutch is superb when paddles used. The engines are absolute work of art. The turbo does not show lag but does show non-linear response. This is apparently corrected in Pista (mine is on a boat somewhere) using programming wizardry. Steering feel is superb but not as good as Porsche's, IMO.
Porsche GT cars (GT3, GT3RS, etc) are fantastic too, in almost everything they do. The PDK, in non-paddle mode (car shifts for you) is just unparalleled in how telepathic it is and sometimes much better in shifting than using the paddles manually. GT3 RS lacks power and torque as compared to most of my F-cars, but then do I need it to be more powerful? May be at times I feel I can use a little more torque at low RPM, but really very minor. I cannot achieve the limits of these cars on the track anyways. So, I am fine.
Having said all of this, my GT3 RS is my most favorite on the track; I feel on the edge driving a real, fully-fledged race car.
In the end, IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 PM
ubtrippin
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 2013 BMW m5. It has dct tranny and shifts very fast. When I bought my yr15 gt3 I knew it was way superior to the dct. In auto mode in the bmw it shifts smartly for you but the pcar is way more intelligent and shifts faster esp on the down shifts. In paddle mode the m5 is very fast. Just not as fast as the gt3. I've never driven a Ferrari so I cant comment on that car but I really like the way the pcar shifts. I do wish though the gt3 had the tq my m5 has. I'm only at about 650 hp/645tq in my m5. Its that extra push I miss but then I smile when I downshift in the pcar. Either way I'm smiling and am satisfied
Old 04-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
Just got back from picking up my m3 that was involved in a accident with a deer it’s been 3 weeks since driving a turbocharged car and driving the gt3rs daily I just realized how much I hate turbocharged cars, the throttle Response on the Porsche is the best I have ever felt and I ruined every other car!

did anyone watch motortrend review the 812 superfast jethro made a comment that really annoyed me he said “Ferrari transmission makes the pdk feel slow”
i never driving a Ferrari is that statement true? Hard to believe any dct being better the the pdk!
Haven't seen that specific video.

Haven't driven the 812 but I've driven every other modern ferrari and it's reasonable to say that the Ferrari DCT is equal (not superior) to PDK-S in the Porsche GT3 and GT3RS.
Both ferrari DCT and Porsche PDK-S are noticeably faster than PDK in regular porsches.

Yes, turbo lag is big problem compared to any NA Porsche GT car. I don't plan to ever own a turbo car. I'll trade less power for a laser like throttle response, insane sound, and better power modulation on the track.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

This is a case of managing expectations...
i drive my RR, I re-calibrate my expectations
I drive an M3, I re-calibrate my expectations
i am not ruined by my GT3 because I know what to expect when I drive an M3 and it meets my lowly expectations.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:08 PM
n d
Pro

I bought a m3 cs recently and while it’s not close to the gt3rs in any way it’s still the best version of the m3 .. the steering feel is almost Porsche like, handles awesome for a 4 door and is pretty fast !
Old 04-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I have owned e92 m3, m4, and have nothing but good things to say about them. GT3 is just superior in every aspect and .2GT3 RS is just on a completely diff league
Old 04-04-2019, 12:44 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 365 Posts

I have a scud, an M4 and a 991.2 gt3rs. The modern Ferrari's like italia and 488 seemed the same to me as the gt3rs when I drove them all. Just feels instant pretty much. The scud is different because it is SO abrupt with the single clutch. Everyone thinks the tranny is going to explode. older F1 tranny's like normal 430 or bmw smg's I would notice for sure

Liked e46 M3's (nimble, quick, fun), disliked e92's (fat, slow, needed a diet), M4 I thought was better than both hence why I got one. It is NOT supposed to be a Porsche. It is supposed to be a fast luxurious european muscle car that fits anyone size very well and comes in a stick Also with decent skill can pass pretty much everything on track days minus the diehards with fast racecars/corvettes/911's. It is a VERY fast car, I thought accel wise maybe even faster than our used to be 997 gt3 and as crazy as it sounds I think my lap times at somewhere like laguna would very similar (I do have cup 2's on M4). Only knock on the car is turbo/sound/steering feel if you are looking for a sports car....But thats what a gt3/porsche is for. I personally liked the sound actually, no one else does I guess??? Steering feel I took is not supposed to be Porsche level, more of something laxed. I hear they did make it better tho...
Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had two E92 M3s, and I thought they were fat, bloated, slow pigs. The E46 is definitely better to drive, and although I haven't tried the F8x M3/M4 I'm sure I would enjoy those more. At least they have some power. I didn't think the E92 sounded that great either, certainly not stock. Most over-hyped car ever.

Quick Reply: Gt3rs ruins every car...