TPMS and low fuel warnings during track day

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 01:19 AM
dctc42
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS and low fuel warnings during track day

Hi everyone,

I have a 2015 GT3. I'm hoping someone here has run into this issue and know what I should do about it. I was at the track (pacific raceways) last Sunday and after a couple of sessions, I got a TPMS sensor failure warning. I checked pressures and they were as expected after getting heat into them (33 front and 38 back). Two sessions after that I got a low fuel warning when I still had 1/2 tank left. Another driver with a 991 GT3 RS (not sure what MY) had both of these symptoms during his first session. Other 991 GT3s on track did not experience this.

The low fuel warning corrected itself but TPMS is still offline. Has anyone experienced this? How can I fix the TPMS? IS there something I can do so it doesn't happen again?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 AM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had both these as well. On my 2018 GT3 you can actually set the TPMS to "track pressures" manually and once that was done I had no further issues. But, before that I did get the warning and had to have the dealer reset the TPMS. Not sure why it does not just correct itself. Also have had to LowFuel warning and the only thing I know to do is keep the tank mostly full. I have the extended capacity fuel tank on the new one which helps a lot.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:40 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Choose Circuit mode for the TPMS and it usually works ok. For a 15 GT3 it's possible the batteries are dying and the sensors may need to be replaced. The fuel system is fine it gives a warning at 50mi range at recent consumption. On track you are burning fuel at a high rate. I often get the warning in the second session. Just toggle the stalk to minimize the warning. On a 2.5mi lap you have 20 laps range. Finish the session and fill up. These are both common. You may also find you need to add oil during a weekend. That's common too. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (04-07-2021)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:35 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

- TPMS on Circuit Mode doesn't allow to be set if pressures are too low, anything under 26 psi or around there and it just won't allow the pressures to be set.

- 991.2 TPMS are different

- I get low fuel warning with 8 gallons of fuel in the fuel tank. The thing factors MPG and fuel left to throw a warning. I can drive 150 miles on 8 gallons easily, or just 15 miles, depends on use.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Use the Circuits pressure setting when setting your cold pressures. Just make sure before you drive off after restarting the car to acknowledge the Circuits setting every time on the dash or you'll throw the TPMS system off and it has to relearn the pressures and will give you the annoying light.

I also get the low fuel/mind remaining distance warning though it may have a half full tank when on track. It definitely factors MPG and not just fuel level.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 PM
gt3ish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have TPMS issue occasionally on my 991.2 when in circuit mode if too much time lapses between track sessions.

Seems the car automatically reverts to street mode and needs to register the pressures before allowing back into circuit mode. That of course is the rub... pressures too low in street mode do not register - just warning to check. Only remedy I've been able to consistently work is inflate each back to/above street pressure and allow to register. Then reduce back to circuit mode. Or just manually check pressures and deal with it. After a while the pressure will register while on track but with warning for too low. (have similar issue w/ the little lady's Macan S - doesn't get driven all the time and if temps drop the pressures to drastically, it'll continue to show learning until I over inflate and then can bring back down to spec).

Now, before you even ask your next question... just use Harry's Laptimer - LOL

Good luck
Old 04-04-2021, 08:23 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Same issue with TPMS. Race circuit mode the first sessions works great, but every other the TPMS hunts for the tire pressure. Anyone find a way to make it work?
Old 04-04-2021, 08:37 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
Same issue with TPMS. Race circuit mode the first sessions works great, but every other the TPMS hunts for the tire pressure. Anyone find a way to make it work?
After selecting Circuit mode and apply pressures for the first session, when you restart the car for subsequent sessions you should see in the multi function display a question of whether you want to remain in circuit mode. If you don't select yes promptly the car reverts to normal mode and looks for the pressures. Do you see the question when you restart? It can be a pain. Many times I've restarted to get fuel or whatever and forget to click yes ad have to go through the whole learning and reset process.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:40 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
After selecting Circuit mode and apply pressures for the first session, when you restart the car for subsequent sessions you should see in the multi function display a question of whether you want to remain in circuit mode. If you don't select yes promptly the car reverts to normal mode and looks for the pressures. Do you see the question when you restart? It can be a pain. Many times I've restarted to get fuel or whatever and forget to click yes ad have to go through the whole learning and reset process.
i think that’s what happening. I drive off then it shows the TPMS warning. Then it enters this learning loop that it doesn’t come out of. I think I need to set it before driving off...
Old 04-04-2021, 03:54 PM
tubwreck
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Unless you have a pit crew with air, I find the 991.2 Circuit mode highly irritating. Here's what my track day routine looks like:
  • Adjust the pressures to 30/30 cold and then select Circuit mode and set the pressure.
  • Go out on first session. After 3-4 laps, TPMS is reading in the 35-40 pound range. Come into the pits and bleed the pressures using a normal gauge down to 30/30 (or whatever your target pressure is).
  • Go out and nail some laps, monitor the TPMS display. Depending on session length, come in again and bleed more air.
  • Session over, park the car.
  • Heading out for the next session, say Yes to Circuit mode. Because you've been sitting around for an hour waiting for your next session, the pressures have fallen to the 25-27 pound range. TPMS shows red warning. Danger Will Robinson.
  • Go out and run a couple of warm up laps 6/10 or 7/10. TPMS doesn't register new pressures. Still red. Still danger Will Robinson.
  • Go back to pit and clear the TPMS warning state (can't do this while the car is moving).
  • TPMS now registers close to 30 pounds, you're off and running.
Basically, you cannot directly enter your target pressure in Circuit mode; you can only accept the current pressures as the target pressure.
If the measured pressure is more than a few pounds below the target pressure, the system stops updating the pressure display and gives you a big red warning.
The only way to clear the big red warning is to stop the car and press the lever once on the TPMS screen. You're still in circuit mode and your target pressures are still there.

Quick Reply: TPMS and low fuel warnings during track day