Sponsored by:

991 911R Electric Parking Brake Won't Release

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 02:19 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 991 911R Electric Parking Brake Won't Release

This is kind of hilarious, and unbelievably frustrating situation.

Parked 911R at dinner last night. Get in to leave, parking brake won't release. I normally pull it manually instead of using the "drive off" procedure, when I pulled it this time the "brake" light on the tach and the "PARK" on the release handle flashing red, and on the dash it says "release parking brake."

No fault, no error message, just tells me to "release parking brake." I tried to pull the handle w/o my foot on the brake which then tells you "press brake" but changes nothing.

Doing the "intent to drive off" procedure, which is seat belt on, door closed, put the car in gear and release the clutch to drive off does nothing.

Power cycling and repeating various combinations of the above process does nothing.

Porsche service center by me is closed on weekends.

I've seen a bunch of threads, but most people with some combination of the above procedures are able to get the brake off. Playing with the stalks (lame attempt to acknowledge the message to release the brake, no joy).

I was hoping maybe a fuse to pull? The only fuse I can find is for the parking brake handle...which says nothing about the mechanism itself. Ended up taking a freaking uber/lyft home and the car is 30 minutes away (safe location) but less than ideal and really, really annoying.

I don't have a Durametric or PIWIS, apparently there's a re-calibration or something you can do on the brake (probably intended post brake job) alas, Porsche service center is closed on the weekends...

Would love any input or ideas from the hive mind..
Old 03-30-2019, 07:54 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Can you try to disconnect the battery?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:02 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,810 Likes on 533 Posts

I had that happen to me on my .1 3RS.

I was lucky enough that when I turned the car on and off and fidgeted with it a few times it magically released.
I was also lucky enough that it was a weekday and drove it straight to the dealer.
I told them not to turn the car off before putting it on a lift but they did, and so it got stuck in their drivethrough service area and they had to dolly it to a service bay.

Not sure if your is the same issue but in my case it turned out to be a fried actuator.
I hope it's not in your case cause I don't even know how you'd get it on a flatbed.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:14 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

That sucks. But it's also kinda funny in a dark sort of way.

I never really use my parking brake, just keep the car in gear. Unless it's an abnormally steep hill or something.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:28 PM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By power cycling, do you mean getting out the car and locking it to arm the alarm, then reopening it ? This is how to reboot the electronics like restating windows on a computer.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Annand, just leave it where it is... did you say it was in the redlight district near chinatown?
and go buy a real porsche... you know like 997RS4.0 you been talking about. it has a REAL E brake
Old 03-30-2019, 09:19 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Hate all the electronics in cars these days. Take mechanical parking brake any day. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:19 AM
MirageJHU
Racer

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Can you try to disconnect the battery?
Tried, thanks

Originally Posted by soulsea
I had that happen to me on my .1 3RS.

I was lucky enough that when I turned the car on and off and fidgeted with it a few times it magically released.
I was also lucky enough that it was a weekday and drove it straight to the dealer.
I told them not to turn the car off before putting it on a lift but they did, and so it got stuck in their drivethrough service area and they had to dolly it to a service bay.

Not sure if your is the same issue but in my case it turned out to be a fried actuator.
I hope it's not in your case cause I don't even know how you'd get it on a flatbed.
Tried the Contra code essentially, no go on anything. We are gonna go back tomorrow with our tools, get the rear diffuser off and some proper dolly's to try to roll it away

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
That sucks. But it's also kinda funny in a dark sort of way.

I never really use my parking brake, just keep the car in gear. Unless it's an abnormally steep hill or something.
Honestly all I can do is laugh now. Glad someone else found the humor in it

Originally Posted by aigle836
By power cycling, do you mean getting out the car and locking it to arm the alarm, then reopening it ? This is how to reboot the electronics like restating windows on a computer.
Sadly, I've gone through a ton of BMW's, I'm all too familiar with this hilarious "code." Also disconnected battery etc.

Originally Posted by mooty
Annand, just leave it where it is... did you say it was in the redlight district near chinatown?
and go buy a real porsche... you know like 997RS4.0 you been talking about. it has a REAL E brake
lol you're the best

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Hate all the electronics in cars these days. Take mechanical parking brake any day. Good luck.
Me too.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:40 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

The only thing I wish they had put in the 911r, a manual handbrake. Thats beyond annoying man, sorry.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:22 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Originally Posted by sechsgang
The only thing I wish they had put in the 911r, a manual handbrake. Thats beyond annoying man, sorry.
Thanks

Huge thanks to mooty for reminding me that Chasen (SP Motorsports) is around and is AWESOME. Came out with a PIWIS and spent way too long trying every trick he could find. Some sensor or something is fried. We ended up popping the diffuser off, using some jacks, blocks, and hopes & prayers (car was parallel parked on a slight downhill) to get a tow bar under the rear, pull it off the curb, and then get it towed...what a weekend

Really, really shocked there is no hidden mechanical or electrical release for this thing.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:26 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ glad you got it out of chinatown.
I heard CGT has manual handbrake.
I will have one delivered to your compound on Monday.
wire at your convenience.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:56 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default E Brake

I drive my car regularly. I'm so sorry. This is my worst nightmare. The E brake is the only thing I don't like about the R. Please keep us informed regarding the fix. Maybe there is some updated electronics we should be aware of. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:55 AM
MirageJHU
Racer

Originally Posted by Suitcase
I drive my car regularly. I'm so sorry. This is my worst nightmare. The E brake is the only thing I don't like about the R. Please keep us informed regarding the fix. Maybe there is some updated electronics we should be aware of. Thanks.
Not sure if updated electronics are warranted...yet.

Dealership found right side actuator seized. Being replaced under warranty. Service manager & tech have never seen this fail before...
Old 04-03-2019, 03:50 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks for updating us.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:04 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
Not sure if updated electronics are warranted...yet.

Dealership found right side actuator seized. Being replaced under warranty. Service manager & tech have never seen this fail before...
seized ?
u mean stuck
bc grime or

Quick Reply: 991 911R Electric Parking Brake Won't Release