Sponsored by:

2015 GT3 sold on BaT

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
What do you consider the "Jesus" motor actually to be?

Well I'd tell you again the "miracle" motor in the 2015 with 107K miles but that's probably not what you want to hear so I'll just leave it at that.

It's my first time posting on a "this is why my car is going to be worth more (or way less) then your car down the road", I'm sorry if my analogy was in bad taste.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:59 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve

Here’s the bet I’m willing to make (and made it)

I picked up a 15 for $121k ($152k MSRP). When searching for decently spec’d 991.2’s, it was more in the low 170-175 range. Yes, I know some strippers went lower.

For the sake of argument, let’s say there’s a realistic $45-50k gap between .1’s and .2’s currently.

All these cars will fall, but in terms of absolute dollars, the .2 has much more runway to fall before all generations hit their respective resistance points.

In 15 years will a winged PDK .2 be worth more? Yeah of course, but $45-50k more? Not a chance. That’s the bet I made when I made the decision to buy the POS .1 grenade mobile or whatever bitter ADM-paying souls claim it to be.

Plus, there will be a fix for this engine. This is all moot.
Agree but its apples and oranges. You are comparing costs a three/four yr old car (and the corresponding spec for that gen) to a new 2018/2019 car with a newer spec. The new cars base price is about 10k higher. The rest of the difference is age/timing.

You could wait a couple of years and pick up the comparable used 991.2 for say, 131k. Certainly agree that buying that car today (with a 162 MSRP) is going to cost you a lot more to own.

The point was was that it will be interesting to see if the 991.1 and 991.2 have similar relative ‘resistance points’ and if not (I don’t think they will), how much of that will be attributable to the engine issues in the 991.1.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:49 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

Agree but its apples and oranges. You are comparing costs a three/four yr old car (and the corresponding spec for that gen) to a new 2018/2019 car with a newer spec. The new cars base price is about 10k higher. The rest of the difference is age/timing.

You could wait a couple of years and pick up the comparable used 991.2 for say, 131k. Certainly agree that buying that car today (with a 162 MSRP) is going to cost you a lot more to own.

The point was was that it will be interesting to see if the 991.1 and 991.2 have similar relative ‘resistance points’ and if not (I don’t think they will), how much of that will be attributable to the engine issues in the 991.1.

It is and it isn’t. We’re taking in circles and agreeing on most points.

It will be interesting to see what happens come 2024 for a few factors:

1.) The changing automotive landscape away from NA performance cars, maybe entirely. This is going to push the resistance point of all these cars. What’s the old saying? Rising tide raises all ships?

2.) Will we start to see those failures as one-off anomalies as the years go on or will they tick up due to continued use?

3.) Will Dundon wrap up R&D on his fix or will somebody else create one? (It’s difficult to believe something won’t exist given the appetite for it)

Perhaps I get tired of the holier than thou stuff in these .1 threads from some of the folks (you haven’t done this though). It’s a tired agenda.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 PM
white997
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Its funny how many people are still in denial about the whole GT 991 bubble. 991 owners/speculators based their whole idea of "price growth/value" on tiny limited 996 and 997 based GT cars. While the 991 is a great car Porsche built a ton of them. Last this, last that, blah blah blah. All 991s will keep dropping forever. Even the 991 GT2rs will be a $200K car with some time.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:25 AM
jcdeng
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2015-porsche-911-21/

another one showed up on BaT. Less miles less owners new engine but no buckets and ding'd carfax, wondering if this will be sub 100k.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:59 AM
isellpower
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the replacement 3.8's have a "fix" or are they exactly the same?
Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Therosser77
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jcdeng
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2015-porsche-911-21/

another one showed up on BaT. Less miles less owners new engine but no buckets and ding'd carfax, wondering if this will be sub 100k.
Thanks for posting. This one is close to me, if the price is right I may pursue.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Patterson
Do the replacement 3.8's have a "fix" or are they exactly the same?
Assuming they used the latest G series (second revision of the G series), yes. Only the second/latest iteration of G series engine has yet to fail due to excessive cam follower wear to my knowledge. All other E,F, G series revision 1 have failed due to excessive cam follower wear.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Therosser77
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
OH, Goody, another value thread..... the haters gonna hate (thinking most haters don't own anything in the same zip code in regards to performance or provenance ...."try-hards" talking sh-t), the 3.2 Turbo was the original "grenade" and now look at it...it's a darling....sheesh, find another forum.
Who starts these threads???? Owners worrying about their value? Not likely. More likely, it's folks hoping the sky falls so they can get in the game. There is truth to "If you have to ask, then...." If you're already in the game and you spend your time following the market and fretting over losing money, then I feel sorry for you in that you aren't enjoying the ownership experience.
Ownership Experience = Drive the sh-t out of it.
I started this thread because I wanted to be as educated as possible about my purchase. Is saving ten's of thousands of dollars not worth discussing?
Old 04-24-2019, 02:55 PM
isellpower
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Assuming they used the latest G series (second revision of the G series), yes. Only the second/latest iteration of G series engine has yet to fail due to excessive cam follower wear to my knowledge. All other E,F, G series revision 1 have failed due to excessive cam follower wear.
Thank you sir, I'm also following the white 991.1 on BAT.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Therosser77
I started this thread because I wanted to be as educated as possible about my purchase. Is saving ten's of thousands of dollars not worth discussing?
Its definitely worth discussing. Just ignore the people who tell you to stop worrying about price, drive it, blah blah. Its your money, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get the best possible deal on what is ultimately an unnecessary luxury item.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
It's not a fix, it's a better band aid.

The fix is in the 991.2 motor with a solid upper drivetrain

Talk to an engine builder, don't believe what you read

Under warranty the 991.1 is great, a rebuild under out of warranty is very expensive, it will always hurt ownership resale of 991.1 as most who own them can't afford the unknown of replacing an engine once warranty runs out

I've paid to have many porsche racing engines rebuilt, parts are not cheap on a 9k rpm motor
Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

Under warranty the 991.1 is great, a rebuild under out of warranty is very expensive, it will always hurt ownership resale of 991.1 as most who own them can't afford the unknown of replacing an engine once warranty runs out

I've paid to have many porsche racing engines rebuilt, parts are not cheap on a 9k rpm motor
I agree the hydraulic lifter design in the 991.1 is intrinsically flawed due to the inherent inertia/drag vs. a solid a lifter design. Albeit, there have been zero reported failures for the second iteration of the G-Series engine (to my knowledge). There is also a 100k F series motor, and numerous F series motors over 30-40k with plenty of track time.

Is the design perfect, no. Is the 991.2 solid lifter design better, yes. However, the cam follower premature wear/failure is attributed to many factors, primarily, the "inclusions" that were due to a manufacturing defect. This was further exacerbated by sub par oiling, and lack of DLC coating. I also believe that North American Mobil 1 "European Formula" exacerbated the wear due to Mobil 1 being a relatively poor oil at high temp high load. Take a look at ASTM benchmark testing with Mobil 1 "European formula", it's very poor. Europe gets much better Mobil 1, as they use better/different base stocks. I believe this is also why it wasn't discovered during development, as it was masked by the Germans superior Mobil 1.

Far more 991.1 GT3's with no issues vs. issues. If you have any data on a second gen G series motor failing due to excessive cam-follower wear, would love to see it.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:33 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

Internet hype.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:02 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I always follow one principle..."You Get What You Pay For" No such thing as a Cheap GT Porsche...

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 sold on BaT