Sponsored by:

video cameras

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 08:56 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

2 Big points to consider:

1) external mic input is a necessity. I use a Sony cam because there is a built in jack for it. GoPro has some huge box needed for the mic to plug in. It is just ridiculous. I mount the mic below the rear edge of the seat and it sounds awesome! No wind noise at all.

2)Adjustable Metering/Exposure lock: This is VERY IMPORTANT. If you mount the camera on the rear inside hatch glass, the camera will meter from the dashboard. That means the exterior shot will look like crap (totally overexposed and blown out). My Sony does not have an exposure lock, so bye-bye.

Unfortunately, there seem to be no "perfect" cameras out there. The Newest GoPro Hero still needs a huge box hanging off it for the Mic, and all the other companies don't have an exposure lock.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:56 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
2)Adjustable Metering/Exposure lock: This is VERY IMPORTANT. If you mount the camera on the rear inside hatch glass, the camera will meter from the dashboard. That means the exterior shot will look like crap (totally overexposed and blown out). My Sony does not have an exposure lock, so bye-bye.
This is a huge issue. Fortunately, the Ultra 30 deals with it just fine. You can set it to spot metering and it will keep that setting forever until you change it.

The newer GoPro's apparently can't do this. I can't remember when they changed it but mine is a Hero5 Black and definitely can't do this. You have to turn it on and then tap on the screen where you want it to meter from and it doesn't remember. You have to do it every time. This is a deal-breaker for me as I can't actually see the screen once it's mounted.
The following users liked this post:
docjohnM (10-29-2019)
Old 03-01-2023, 12:42 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

Bringing this post back from the grave...

I have an AiM setup with SoloDL (connected via CanBus) and SmartyCam but prefer using GoPros and then overlaying data during post processing.

For in-car, I am really tired of resetting the spot meter on the GoPro mounted to my roll bar every outing since the GoPro doesn't save the spot meter location after powering down.

It appears the Garmin Ultra 30 (mentioned above) is no longer available.

Does anyone know of any "action camera" that allows users to set the spot meter and have that location be saved permanently?
Old 03-02-2023, 11:42 AM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I've got a 9 Black that we run inside the car. I am pretty sure I haven't had to reset the spot meter once set to prevent the glare and wash out. We like the gopro because we can easily move it about from fixed mount on car to helmet. Also, use an older session on the rear tow hook which gives a great view. I can overlay the video to data post collection, but haven't put too much time into that. For simplicity, function and price it seems like the gopro stuff is pretty hard to beat.

The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 12:42 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

Huh, that in car video looks better than what I see from my GoPros. Mine are older (like first Hero Session ~2015 and Hero 5 ~2016) so maybe the metering isn't very smart.

Here's an example of video from my Hero Session, very non-viewer friendly. Look at 0:39 vs 0:45 or so. Ignore the slowish driving, me but not my car.

I'll order a new Hero and try it out.

Old 03-02-2023, 01:25 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Think that's just the poor metering on the session. I like the size and function of the session, but if you forget to set it...ugh. I have a half day of window/sun wash out. Track days can be busy and the last thing I want to spend time on is checking my videos....

Quick Reply: video cameras