Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An ADM Story - You think Porsche is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019 | 02:14 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

About 8 months ago I was about to order one for the wife, and was told that there would be a $20/$30k overcharge , subject to change (up) Learning it wouldn't fly, that sales guy tried to sell me the older model, brand new, at $15K off. Good deal but the new one would be much better. Luckily wife changed her mind so all good and no hassle of dealing with these issues.

OP not sure you have any documentation, but I would call MBNA and see if I can lawyer up. Just as a matter of principle.

Plenty of good cars for wives these days. Q8 and new Bentayga V8, etc.
Old 02-02-2019 | 02:20 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

MBLN is trash!! Glad you walked away from this OP. Can’t believe theyd pull this stunt for 20k markup. No morals at all
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (03-07-2020)
Old 02-02-2019 | 02:22 PM
bradthe
Advanced

yelp! that's about all ya can do...unless you have a signed bill of sale at msrp.
Old 02-02-2019 | 02:38 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Here's what I would do.....Go in to the same dealership being real nice, understand their situation, etc, etc....order a high MSRP car, option the hell out of it....put a REFUNDABLE deposit on it.....double check with state laws, etc......wait for the car....let them call you to come pick it up....come in and tell them you don't want it and kindly refund your deposit.....thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by shapiroeric:
Perimeter (03-07-2020), Rxpert (03-07-2020)
Old 02-02-2019 | 02:44 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Here's what I would do.....Go in to the same dealership being real nice, understand their situation, etc, etc....order a high MSRP car, option the hell out of it....put a REFUNDABLE deposit on it.....double check with state laws, etc......wait for the car....let them call you to come pick it up....come in and tell them you don't want it and kindly refund your deposit.....thanks
In a sh!tty color - great idea
Old 02-02-2019 | 02:50 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
Get a range autobiography sv.
this and what Mooty said. What they did was bush league.

Lesson learned. Get it in writing next time.
Old 02-02-2019 | 03:07 PM
isv
Pro

I'm not familiar with US rules but afaik, a customer is likewise allowed to reject or demand to pay less last minute on a car that has been depreciating in the time from order to delivery? Or have I got that completely wrong...
Old 02-02-2019 | 03:18 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

I agree with Mooty. If you're gonna gouge then state your case early. The GM pulling something like this last minute, then not having the courage to speak with you is unbelievable. Go check out a Range Rover. They are awesome vehicles these days. My wife has a loaded Sport going on three years old and its holding up beautifully.
Old 02-02-2019 | 03:18 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Typical SoCal stealer. Unfortunately it was probably sold that night for the $20K over because someone had more money than sense. It is EXACTLY why they all continue to do it. No concern of building a client base. Just wait for the next down turn. It is like a new dealer is being built each week. When the free money dries up these stealers will be the first to close their doors. the ones that are making modest profits now will continue to stay in business while the losers will be boarding up.
Old 02-02-2019 | 03:22 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Most important is that you walked away. Never concede to extortion, which is what this behavior constitutes. Forget MBNA. The BBB reporting often has a negative impact and businesses don’t like having local complaints registered.
Perimeter (03-07-2020)
Old 02-02-2019 | 03:53 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

I was offered one at msrp drove it and says no

Have a 2018 g63, keeping it

I'll take the 2018...it's the best G made...talk about analog
Old 02-02-2019 | 03:58 PM
Catorce
Banned

Thanks guys. As to the individual merits of the G Wagon, meh, I was unimpressed but my wife wanted it, and she never bitches about all the cars I buy, so I was like sure, let's do it. What pisses me off the most is how it affected my wife, who between sobs and tears said she'd never pay them even a penny over sticker.

Hilariously, when I spoke to the sales manager, I said to him : "The mistake you made in your powerplay was you didn't know my wife was the cheapest person you ever met".

My wife coupons, she uses rewards points, she goes back to the store when they forgot to put her $2 item in the bag. Wrong person to try and squeeze 20 bucks out of much less 20K!!!! :-)
Perimeter (03-07-2020)
Old 02-02-2019 | 04:11 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

I’ve had Porsche dealers do something similar. Honestly this is what happens when the dealerships have the ability to do as they please.

One brand and that actually doesn’t do this crap is Ferrari. Everyone gives Ferrari grief over their practices, but at least they have a rule book and are upfront about it.

Ferrari corporate actually forbids their dealerships from selling new cars over MSRP. Furthermore, if they allocate a car but the customer doesn’t take delivery, they aren’t even allowed to list it for sale publicly until the car is 6 months old.
Perimeter (03-07-2020)
Old 02-02-2019 | 04:13 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Catorce
Thanks guys. As to the individual merits of the G Wagon, meh, I was unimpressed but my wife wanted it, and she never bitches about all the cars I buy, so I was like sure, let's do it. What pisses me off the most is how it affected my wife, who between sobs and tears said she'd never pay them even a penny over sticker.

Hilariously, when I spoke to the sales manager, I said to him : "The mistake you made in your powerplay was you didn't know my wife was the cheapest person you ever met".

My wife coupons, she uses rewards points, she goes back to the store when they forgot to put her $2 item in the bag. Wrong person to try and squeeze 20 bucks out of much less 20K!!!! :-)
That's the part that really sucks. You were doing something nice for your wife, they clearly knew this, they knew she was anxious to get it, you and she waited a year, you spec'd it out to your liking then they do what they did.

Don't let it get to you. Next. Go get her a nice Range Rover. They are beautiful. She'll love it. Classy truck.

Old 02-02-2019 | 04:20 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by obbob
I’ve had Porsche dealers do something similar. Honestly this is what happens when the dealerships have the ability to do as they please.

One brand and that actually doesn’t do this crap is Ferrari. Everyone gives Ferrari grief over their practices, but at least they have a rule book and are upfront about it.

Ferrari corporate actually forbids their dealerships from selling new cars over MSRP. Furthermore, if they allocate a car but the customer doesn’t take delivery, they aren’t even allowed to list it for sale publicly until the car is 6 months old.
Better yet Tesla. Bring on their direct system. No BS. Doesn't matter who you know. You all pay the same. I would rather that then all the BS these sleazy dealers pull.

Quick Reply: An ADM Story - You think Porsche is bad?