Sponsored by:

Need track-rat braintrust help with onboarding my RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019 | 03:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
The primary benefit of carbon ceramic discs vs. iron is unsprung weight savings. If you're tracking your car, that is pretty much the only tangible benefit. Our system provides the primary benefit of carbon ceramic discs, without all of the pitfalls, compromises, etc
Old 02-01-2019 | 03:22 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

What about brake fade? I find the PCCBs to be more consistent in feel and stopping distance than iron rotors after a certain number of laps.
A few issues. There is pad fade and there is fluid fade. Pad fade is when the pads exceed their max operating temperature, and they can no longer generate mu/friction. Fluid fade is when the fluid boils, creating air bubbles, and the pedal gets mushy. Pad and disc choice goes a long way towards your perception of feel. If I gave you five different discs and five different pads, you'd likely like the feel better on some than others. It's subjective, and changes by driver. The shape of the pads mu curve has a great deal to do with that. The flatter the pads mu curve, the more consistent it feels across all temperatures. That is a factor that varies wildly by pad compound.

Stopping distance is a different issue, and is measurable. Do you have data logs on stopping distance of one setup vs. another? If the pad fades and creeps up on its max operating temp, it will certainly extend the stopping distance.

Also, iron discs are not all created equally. If you compare one of our 72 or 84 vane iron discs vs. stock, there is a huge difference in performance. Our discs typically run a couple hundred degrees cooler than stock, which keeps pad temps lower, and makes them less likely to reach their max operating temp.

At the end of the day, there are a ton of variables at play. If you like your PCCB's, then by all means enjoy them! I'm not being a smart **** when I say that either. Everyone likes something different. With iron you just have more control over manipulating those variables than you do with a PCCB setup.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 02-01-2019 | 04:32 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

The ST discs mated to OEM calipers don't save all that much weight over our our complete AP Racing setup.
Any data to back that up? Most of the savings among all of the options above are in the discs (9-10lbs per corner PCCB v Porsche Iron.) Your calipers maybe a few pounds but seems like a hard statement to support.
Old 02-01-2019 | 04:35 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by signes
Any data to back that up? Most of the savings among all of the options above are in the discs (9-10lbs per corner PCCB v Porsche Iron.) Your calipers maybe a few pounds but seems like a hard statement to support.
I'm confused by your post. I still have yet to see a definitive weight on the Surface Transforms discs. You're saying they're 9-10 lbs. lighter per corner than OEM PCCB discs? All of the data on our system vs. stock is listed above. On our front system for example, about five pounds per corner of weight savings are in the pad and caliper.

What I was saying is that our system with discs and calipers weighs within a pound and a half of the OEM PCCB per corner, and 33 lbs. less overall than OEM iron. I doubt the ST discs mated to OEM calipers are much lighter than our complete AP Racing setup. That's my point.
Old 02-01-2019 | 05:41 PM
RennOracle
Pro

That is the complete weight savings of the calipers and discs. Here's a breakdown of the weights on our brake kit. I'm not 100% certain on the ST disc weights, but this is compared to the OEM PCCB discs and the OEM iron discs. We're only a pound and a half heavier per corner than the PCCB system.
Front
OEM PCCB
Caliper= 9.3
Pads= 7.7
Discs= 15.2
Total brake corner weight= 32.2

Essex/AP Racing Radi-CAL BBK
CP9661 caliper= 6.1
Caliper bracket= 1.0
Pads= 5.2
Assembled discs= 21.5
Total brake corner weight= 33.8

OEM Iron
Caliper= 9.3
Pads= 7.7
Discs= 24.2
Total brake corner weight= 41.2

Rear
OEM PCCB
Caliper= 7.5
Pads= 6.1
Discs= 13.5
Total brake corner weight= 27.1

Essex/AP Racing Radi-CAL BBK
CP9449 caliper= 4.85
Caliper bracket= 0.7
Pads= 3.85
Assembled discs= 19.1
Total brake corner weight= 28.5

OEM Iron
Caliper= 7.5
Pads= 6.1
Discs= 24.0
Total brake corner weight= 37.6

The primary benefit of carbon ceramic discs vs. iron is unsprung weight savings. If you're tracking your car, that is pretty much the only tangible benefit. Our system provides the primary benefit of carbon ceramic discs, without all of the pitfalls, compromises, etc. Our system strips approximately 33 pounds of unsprung weight from the car vs. the OEM iron system, and is within 1.5 lbs. per corner of the OEM PCCB system weights.
Old 02-01-2019 | 09:24 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RennOracle
So nothing close to do with ST setup savings and gains.
one is rotating unsprung weight that actually is somewhat relevant, yours is mostly static unsprung weight that is pretty much only good for suspension response.
If your calipers were able to fit carbon disks that would be another talk, but they aren't, so if there is any plus it will never be the weight.
The benefits of reducing rotating inertia from an acceleration standpoint is extremely over-stated. I’d you crunch the numbers you’ll see the effective law reduction benefits due to the totetionsl inertia component are only a small fraction of the static component. But most don’t crunch the numbers...

Last edited by Mech33; 02-01-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2019 | 09:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Weight is one thing. The exact same pedal feel and stopping power while murdering brakes for an hour straight is another.
I’ve never had brakes as good as the ST rotors with Paris RSL1 pads.

And it shows at the track, the out-braking power is crazy.
Today was my 8th day at Sebring this month and I can’t see ever going back.

Old 02-02-2019 | 11:20 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Weight is one thing. The exact same pedal feel and stopping power while murdering brakes for an hour straight is another.
I’ve never had brakes as good as the ST rotors with Paris RSL1 pads.

And it shows at the track, the out-braking power is crazy.
Today was my 8th day at Sebring this month and I can’t see ever going back.

Are you running the ST Calipers or running stock?
Old 02-02-2019 | 11:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

OEM calipers.

RSL1 Pagid pads.

Previously, the first 60 track days I ran OEM iron rotors with Race Technologies RE10 pads.
One each side 1 caliper was replaced under warranty, but the pucks broke in 2 sessions, so I replaced them with titanium pucks.
Old 02-02-2019 | 11:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Took these today.
Old 02-02-2019 | 11:48 PM
Diamond 9
Intermediate

I can totally tell you all. Jeff is the man to listen went it come to the brakes. Jeff gave me great advice on my last set up. I track my car hard and stoping fast from 190 mph plus is a must 🤣🤣 We switch from ceramics to Essex set up and love it as cost to run and how easy to change pads is great! We run Big Brake J-Hook set up with 35mm pads with will last us 3 days at Daytona with some room left. Trust me wen I say wen your RWHP is 1075 you need all the brakes you can get. Jeff I left msg for yaa last week, wen you just got back. Want tall to you abou the set up I need for my soon to be here 19GT3RS.

Quick Reply: Need track-rat braintrust help with onboarding my RS