Sponsored by:

Opinions please (please be kind 🤞)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019 | 11:32 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by Brosef
I'm biased, but I'd trade toward a 991.2 3RS or a 991.2 GT3. these cars are an incredible experience
(as your GT2 no doubt is as well), but it seems like you're ready for a change. and it would be a worthwhile change with a very different experience
I agree with this completely. All GT2's are great cars, as was my own 993 GT2.
But after experiencing the 991 GT Cars, I don't miss it at all (well...OK! Maybe a little bit sometimes)
Old 01-26-2019 | 09:43 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
If you can figure out the space the best bet is a dedicated track car. I've been through all of this and ended up with a Radical. I was tracking a .1 RS and wanted a different solution for basically the exact same reasons as you. The risk of tracking a GT car heavily was too high for me. I considered a Clubsport and ended up with the Radical because of TCO. I've not regretted the decision at all. Also - the experience of tracking an actual race car is far better than a GT car too (IMHO). If you decide to go the dedicated race car path, I'm happy to chat with you about my experience.
Did exactly this and not looking back.
Totally different experience (downforce)
Keep the GT2

Old 01-26-2019 | 05:26 PM
Tilpa
Intermediate

Default Track car - left field option

Def. a dedicated track car. Here’s a left field option, get a formula ford - I did and I haven’t looked back. I love my 18 manual GT3 but it leaves me a little cold on the track compared to the open wheeler which is physically much more demanding and much more enjoyable to drive on the limit. It only cost me $ 35 k (AUD). Bargain.
Old 01-27-2019 | 01:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Gen1 clubsport with good tires will run circles around every street car there is- for less $/mile or $/hr. It's the friendliest car (assuming you are running the right suspension set up) and has the widest window for which you can bang around laps and laps and laps

The Radicals and other aero cars are super fun but not everyone is in the physical shape to deal with 2.5+ G's in the corner and depending on your fitness and age this will keep you out of the car or wanting more. Also- any cold days etc it's easy to wimp out.

Personally I LOVE aero cars and would only drive LMP style or Formula style cars but it's impractical right now as the best track support for those is with race teams who are generally busy running the season. The Radical stuff is really only fun if you are on track with other radicals...sharing radical days with GT3RS's and Z06's will be sketchy- when I've been on track in the BAC Mono it's a lot of fun but still would rather not be lapping EvoX's and E46 M3 frankensteins.

Lowest running cost will be a low HP/ Low weight track car: Miata, Radical, GT4 Clubsport, Mono, etc
Highest running cost will be a vintage cup car- 996/997 have very short engine lifetimes (40-60hrs). the new 991.2 is 100 hrs but tires only last about 4-5 heat cycles. so you are 2-3 sets per weekend.
highest depreciation impact will be running a GT3RS 2019 or similar new car and damaging it on track...that will burn 100k really quick!
Old 01-27-2019 | 01:42 PM
Obturate
Racer

I don't want a street car but I have wondered if it would be cheaper to use one on the track. It doesn't take long to go through $100K racing with support and coaching.
Old 01-27-2019 | 01:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Gen1 clubsport with good tires will run circles around every street car there is- for less $/mile or $/hr. It's the friendliest car (assuming you are running the right suspension set up) and has the widest window for which you can bang around laps and laps and laps

The Radicals and other aero cars are super fun but not everyone is in the physical shape to deal with 2.5+ G's in the corner and depending on your fitness and age this will keep you out of the car or wanting more. Also- any cold days etc it's easy to wimp out.

Personally I LOVE aero cars and would only drive LMP style or Formula style cars but it's impractical right now as the best track support for those is with race teams who are generally busy running the season. The Radical stuff is really only fun if you are on track with other radicals...sharing radical days with GT3RS's and Z06's will be sketchy- when I've been on track in the BAC Mono it's a lot of fun but still would rather not be lapping EvoX's and E46 M3 frankensteins.

Lowest running cost will be a low HP/ Low weight track car: Miata, Radical, GT4 Clubsport, Mono, etc
Highest running cost will be a vintage cup car- 996/997 have very short engine lifetimes (40-60hrs). the new 991.2 is 100 hrs but tires only last about 4-5 heat cycles. so you are 2-3 sets per weekend.
highest depreciation impact will be running a GT3RS 2019 or similar new car and damaging it on track...that will burn 100k really quick!
There is a whole lot of experience wrapped up in that post. Thanks CJ!
Old 01-27-2019 | 03:11 PM
rwgrif
Rennlist Member

I had a 997.2 GT3 that was going to be my everything car (I sold a C2 converted street car and my Turbo Cab to get the GT3). It was too nice to track and I didn't want to thrash it so I bought a 996 Cup. So for the last 5 1/2 years I've run the Cup and wouldn't think of seriously running a street car the way I drive the Cup. The harder you go, the more you'll appreciate a cage, race seat with halo and a fire bottle. As others have stated, the experience with a race car, especially a factory built one, greatly over shadows any street car. When you hear the straight cut gear whine, you'll see what I mean. A well driven GT3RS can do a lap time at Sebring equal to my Cup but it's a night and day different experience. I would have to disagree on the cost on the 996 Cup. Conservative rebuilds on the motor are supposed to last a 100+ hours and not having a sequential gearbox changes the cost factors as well. Using Pirelli slicks, I will get 4+ weekends out of a set (usually can run down to the cord) if I am running DE. Racing does demand new rubber.....

I sold my GT3 for almost what I paid for it and just got a new 991.2 GT3RS. I'll take it around the track a time or two but never in anger.

My race car has resides in an enclosed trailer and it's been fine. I will be moving to Arizona in a year or two and plan on selling the race car because I'm getting to that age. But a car like mine is going to be half of the amount you mentioned but all of the fun. I'd look for a car like mine, enjoy the H pattern and have a blast at DE's and gentleman race events. That's my take on your dilemma but as they say, "your mileage may vary".

Quick Reply: Opinions please (please be kind 🤞)