Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Starting my GT3 in sub zero degrees (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1123551-starting-my-gt3-in-sub-zero-degrees.html)

Mike Murphy 01-11-2019 11:09 PM

The owners manual for my car (996) says that if you start the engine, you shouldn’t shut it off until it’s at a certain temp. That’s the only thing I would not do - cold start for less than a minute and then shut it off. Too much fuel and condensation will accumulate.

I’m with the post that said to push it into the garage.

However, what i would really do is drive it around for a bit. I would be careful with those tires, but I wouldn’t be able to resist driving it.

evilfij 01-12-2019 01:30 AM

Started fine at 23 degrees this morning. :)

No noises or issues except the exhaust was a little louder on cold start.

Todd B 01-12-2019 01:31 AM

What tires are on the car? Michelin says tires could crack at those temps. Not sure about the Dunlop’s.

Stethoscope 01-12-2019 01:39 AM

Please view the following GT3 thriving in the snow like a normal well built German sports car:

Todd B 01-12-2019 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stethoscope (Post 15560036)
Please view the following GT3 thriving in the snow like a normal well built German sports car:

https://youtu.be/7RBp980Fc0U

snows help any car....

993tt 01-12-2019 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B (Post 15560027)
What tires are on the car? Michelin says tires could crack at those temps. Not sure about the Dunlop’s.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. I have to move the car. I can't leave it on the parking lot.

Doubtful that they will crack. Maybe if you stress them to the extreme, which you wouldn't do in those temps anyway...

993tt 01-12-2019 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan (Post 15559527)
Tires will be sketchy in the cold that is for sure. I have driven on Cup 2s at 20 F and they were not great so your dealing with much colder temps. The manufacture has warnings about using and storing these tires at cold temps so just be aware of those warnings. Some Corvette guys have reported tires tearing in cold temps, not the same design as the Cup 2 on the GT3 but something to keep in mind nonetheless.

As I wrote above, one way or the other, I have to get the car from the parking lot. Either I drive it or push it. If I drive it it will be at idle speed so I don't think it will stress the tires more than when pushing the car.

robmypro 01-12-2019 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 993tt (Post 15559247)
Haha!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ro-review.html

mwar99 01-12-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 993tt (Post 15560164)
As I wrote above, one way or the other, I have to get the car from the parking lot. Either I drive it or push it. If I drive it it will be at idle speed so I don't think it will stress the tires more than when pushing the car.

Will the tires have been soaking the cold temp? That is where if they are cold they could crack. Even just rolling from what I understand. The story I had heard about the Cup 2's was with regards to the pre-production 918. It had sat overnight in a trailer in cold weather, in the single digits I believe, and all they did was roll it off the trailer and they had to replace the tires because they cracked. This came from the gentleman who followed the car around the country, it was a first hand description. So be careful. You do have to move it, just pay attention to the tires afterwards. I drove mine in freezing weather, right around 32 degrees with no issues, it never soaked the cold less than 40 degrees though. Did spin the rear wheels in the snow though, not much grip there!

Avalon911 01-12-2019 11:07 AM

No problems starting, just keep it running to temp. Tires are the issue. If those tires have been out in that temp for a while, there could be problems . . .

Please see what the Michelin website says on this.

I saw a lot of pics of ruined Cup 2s on C7s from the cold.

993tt 01-12-2019 11:23 AM

This is what Michelin says on their website:
• Do Not use, store or handle MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres at ambient temperatures below -10°C (14°F)
• Under these conditions the tyre components can degrade, resulting in reduced performance, and at low temperatures can lead to cracks in the tyre compound and hence reduce potential in use

So I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that they will survive. The temperature while on the trailer will (according to the forecast) be slowly falling, starting at 32F and reach the lowest temp of 14F for a couple of hours. When they deliver it will be about 16F.

mwar99 01-12-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 993tt (Post 15560495)
• Do Not use, store or handle MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres at ambient temperatures below -10°C (14°F)
• Under these conditions the tyre components can degrade, resulting in reduced performance, and at low temperatures can lead to cracks in the tyre compound and hence reduce potential in use

So I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that they will survive. The temperature while on the trailer will (according to the forecast) be slowly falling, starting at 32F and reach the lowest temp of 14F for a couple of hours. When they deliver it will be about 16F.

You'll probably be ok. Enjoy the car after delivery as much as you can with the cold weather. It's a great car.

treynor 01-12-2019 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 993tt (Post 15560495)

If it's worrying you, and you have the time, I suggest this: when it arrives, start the car up in the trailer (with the doors open, obviously) and let it warm up for 10 minutes. You can un-strap the car etc. while this is occurring. Then turn off the car and seal up the trailer. Wait 30 minutes. The temperature inside the trailer will rise markedly from the heat coming off the cooling engine, warming the tires in the process. Then, deploy the ramp and drive the car off and over to your garage in the normal fashion.

Source: I have used to use the residual heat from a warmed-up car to heat the garage I was working in. Works quite well, even for a 2-car garage, for 1-2 hours.

993tt 01-12-2019 11:47 AM

But I must say that it's strange that the dealer, which is an official Porsche dealer, never mentioned this issue. I mean, it's winter and both him and me know that the temp can fall below -14F at times. And there's no way for me now to cancel the transport since it's weekend and I only have the phone number to the office of the transporter.

993tt 01-12-2019 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by treynor (Post 15560534)
If it's worrying you, and you have the time, I suggest this: when it arrives, start the car up in the trailer (with the doors open, obviously) and let it warm up for 10 minutes. You can un-strap the car etc. while this is occurring. Then turn off the car and seal up the trailer. Wait 30 minutes. The temperature inside the trailer will rise markedly from the heat coming off the cooling engine, warming the tires in the process. Then, deploy the ramp and drive the car off and over to your garage in the normal fashion.

I would if I could. It's a multi-car trailer and I believe it's open. One like these https://goo.gl/images/MmjkQh And even if it was closed it would be quite large inside so heating it up would take a long time. Regardless, I do not think that the driver would be amused since he probably has a lot of other cars to deliver along the route up to the northern parts.