Sponsored by:

Yikes!!! New 2019 California Auto Exhaust Laws

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:18 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by no401k
someone got their first ticket in the mail, no it's not $1000 (yeah the cop lied to get the message out) but only $200. The problem is no inspection is required, and you cant contest the ticket or go to court, which means you will probably still pay for the ticket even if the car is unmodified. There are other ways to schedule a hearing and contest it, but probably not worth the lawyer fee to get off a $200 ticket. I am sure sooner or later someone will find a way around this
So what exhaust mod are you running that got you this fine?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Yeah the first time, that's not too bad. However, I was told yesterday by a car dealer that is dealing with all this bull, that the second time the fine is more, and that the third time your car will be impounded. Additionally, when I left the dealer with my new truck yesterday, it already had "temporary" plastic plates affixed to the front and rear. The plates were assigned electronically by the DMV and the finance manager then printed them out and a dealership employee affixed them to the truck both front and rear. The DMV also assigned the window sticker electronically with a random number and once again the finance manager printed it out and a dealership employee put it on the windshield. The finance manager told me that as of January 1st of this year, all newly sold vehicles "must" have front and rear plates affixed to the vehicle when it leaves the dealership as well as the DMV assigned window sticker, with the random number, on the windshield. That's right guys, front and rear temporary plastic plates and a DMV window sticker, with a random number, must be affixed to a new Porsche GT car by the dealership prior to it leaving the dealership in California as of January 1st, 2019. The dealer told me that this is due to California loosing millions of dollars on the toll roads because people drive on them with just a car dealers marketing plate frame and logo plate.
Typically Kalifornia gubernment throwing the baby out with the bath water. How about all the cops that patrol the toll roads pull over the car with no plates, you know when the sensor goes off. Just like the straw deal and having to ask for a straw. That isn't enough instead you need to pay for people to go "sting" the waitress and fine them.

Stupid state and glad I made it out.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 73 Posts

Hello California!!!
Greetings from Arizona :-)
in: GMG bypass. Cheers!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Yeah the first time, that's not too bad. However, I was told yesterday by a car dealer that is dealing with all this bull, that the second time the fine is more, and that the third time your car will be impounded. Additionally, when I left the dealer with my new truck yesterday, it already had "temporary" plastic plates affixed to the front and rear. The plates were assigned electronically by the DMV and the finance manager then printed them out and a dealership employee affixed them to the truck both front and rear. The DMV also assigned the window sticker electronically with a random number and once again the finance manager printed it out and a dealership employee put it on the windshield. The finance manager told me that as of January 1st of this year, all newly sold vehicles "must" have front and rear plates affixed to the vehicle when it leaves the dealership as well as the DMV assigned window sticker, with the random number, on the windshield. That's right guys, front and rear temporary plastic plates and a DMV window sticker, with a random number, must be affixed to a new Porsche GT car by the dealership prior to it leaving the dealership in California as of January 1st, 2019. The dealer told me that this is due to California loosing millions of dollars on the toll roads because people drive on them with just a car dealers marketing plate frame and logo plate.
I always see tons of cars like that when I'm in CA. How long till plates arrived under old system?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Initiating this string a few days ago, it’s been beyond interesting to digest the broad range of posts and opinions. To say there’s a diverse Rennlist audience is well, an absolute understatement. Some of you were absolutely hilarious taking an opportunity to find humor in this topic, while others spoke of death and ruins resulting from “socially unacceptable behavior.” I’m no one to say who’s right or wrong, but clearly we can agree..,when it comes to engine exhaust noise...there’s no shortage of strong positions. Sadly (for me), in decades to come, our kids will more than likely not understand why this was a thing... Sad indeed if you’re a lover of and appreciate the heart stopping roar of a Big Block V8 or the ear piercing scream of an RSR at redline and everything in between...
As a follow up to my original post, I share the following online article by Jalopnik...which I truly believe sets the record straight..well sort of. Later.
https://jalopnik.com/why-people-are-...1831620651/amp

Old 01-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 73 Posts

Just saw this on Instagram. California temporary front license plate - looks newly bought (2019)...

Old 01-12-2019, 04:53 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I always see tons of cars like that when I'm in CA. How long till plates arrived under old system?
A long time and really folks just never put them on even when they did arrive until they got pulled over and ticketed. A few ruin the bunch on the plate thing for sure but going to the extremes has always been normal for Kalifornia.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:34 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
On the list of cars to target, a high-end car with out-of-country plates is likely at the bottom. I'll call it now: when I head to Cali next month with my RS, I won't receive a single noise-related infraction.
In what can only be described as ironic, I was pulled over for "excessive noise" today (in Canada). BBi bypass. 96dB at idle. Legal limit is 83dB. No ticket, thankfully.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:09 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt
A long time and really folks just never put them on even when they did arrive until they got pulled over and ticketed. A few ruin the bunch on the plate thing for sure but going to the extremes has always been normal for Kalifornia.
Interesting.

Seems that way. I'm an admirer but learning about CA quirks through RL.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:00 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Here is info on the 997 GT3

This is the dB info measured at 1 meter behind the car at a 45° angle.
Stock and Sharkwerks centre muffler bypass for comparison

Idle:
Stock 77 dB
SW 81 dB

3000 rpm:
Stock 87 dB
SW 96 dB

4000 rpm:
Stock 93 dB
SW 100 dB

5000 rpm:
Stock 99 dB
SW 106 dB

6000 rpm:
Stock 101 dB
SW 108 dB
Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my new Cali plate.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 AM
John Belk
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Here is info on the 997 GT3

This is the dB info measured at 1 meter behind the car at a 45° angle.
Stock and Sharkwerks centre muffler bypass for comparison

Idle:
Stock 77 dB
SW 81 dB

3000 rpm:
Stock 87 dB
SW 96 dB

4000 rpm:
Stock 93 dB
SW 100 dB

5000 rpm:
Stock 99 dB
SW 106 dB

6000 rpm:
Stock 101 dB
SW 108 dB
Thank you for posting! Can you validate what sound measurement device was used?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Be careful though, When I was in the Navy stationed at Pt Mugu, with Florida plates, I got pulled over in the Mojave desert on the way to Tahoe and given a ticket for front window tint. Officer said it didn't matter that car was registered in Florida, operating it in California with tinted windows was still illegal. I'm guessing they could ticket and out of state car for exhaust too.

I wish the wall would extend up from Mexico and include california
I wonder if that is true?

The policeman may have been wrong, but it isn't likely to be contested if you live out of state.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:00 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
I wonder if that is true?

The policeman may have been wrong, but it isn't likely to be contested if you live out of state.
Makes sense that he would get a ticket. Law of the land applies to those on the land.

Quick Reply: Yikes!!! New 2019 California Auto Exhaust Laws