Sponsored by:

Christmas Came Early - My new 991.2 GT3 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Mexico Blue GT3
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLaren quality issues

Great choice! I have a 991.2 GT3 6 speed as well and it's the most exciting car I've ever owned. I can relate on the quality issues with McLaren. I owned the 720s and after multiple trips to the dealer for quality issues the dealer bought the car back. McLaren's are leaders in performance, but lack the reliability, build quality and ownership experience of Porsche or Ferrari. Congrats on your GT3, it's the best sports car in the world, in my opinion.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:09 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
Saw your UV Rs there. Def will come say hi to you at the next one.

Thank you all for the kind words.

To help some of you guys with the pros and cons from the 570S to the 991.2 GT3.

The 570S is SO fast, its a bullet in a straight line and pretty good on the track too. The 570S was just too numb on the streets, day to day driving was pretty boring and it really needs to be driven a very fast pace to be super fun. On track the turbo lag on corner exit was quite annoying but grip levels were high, even with the crappy standard P zero tires.
Other things that annoyed me regarding the 570S, it was a one year old car and random issues would come up..... fault markers for side markers, fault markers for steering column that wouldn't come out at times when i pushed the seat settings and i could hear the steering column motor going out/struggling when the column would pull back for the comfort exit, air conditioning sucked in the summer time, car cant detect the key 50% of the time, radio couldnt be found so you have would to restart the center control screen all the time. The exhaust note wasnt the greatest and i really missed that coming from a 997 GT3 with a shark pipe on it.

Few other things that were rough with the 570S, servicing cost was EXPENSIVE!!! and each dealership servicing cost was so different from another. Buying a CPO 570s doesnt mean you get extra warranty either, you have to buy the warranty at 5K per year after the car is CPO, if your are is not CPO then you have to pay $800 for an inspection fee in order to buy the outrageously expensive extended McLaren warranty.

Although i bought the 570S used at a very good price, owning it for 5 months and driving 4,000 miles i still took a bath on the car.

Regarding the 991.2 GT3.
I dont have enough seat time in it but it seems to handle as well as the 570S, get the awesome sounding motor and reliability of Porsche and much cheaper servicing cost.

In the end I am very happy to be back in a GT3, the smile on my face was ear to ear when i left the dealership.
I didnt bond with the 570S and in the end I got to experience both cars and it cost me a few bucks to see where i really wanted to be. Would i do it all over again, no!
I agree 100% the 570s was really a boring car driving at regular speeds..... Gt3rs is really fun and exciting just cruising..... the throttle response was horrid on the Mclaren!
Old 12-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts

Have basically the same spec. Love it!! Spent the morning today on Xmas waxing her before the fam came over haha. Congrats!!! Such a fun car.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:11 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexico Blue GT3
Great choice! I have a 991.2 GT3 6 speed as well and it's the most exciting car I've ever owned. I can relate on the quality issues with McLaren. I owned the 720s and after multiple trips to the dealer for quality issues the dealer bought the car back. McLaren's are leaders in performance, but lack the reliability, build quality and ownership experience of Porsche or Ferrari. Congrats on your GT3, it's the best sports car in the world, in my opinion.
You nailed it right on the head!

Originally Posted by n d

I agree 100% the 570s was really a boring car driving at regular speeds..... Gt3rs is really fun and exciting just cruising..... the throttle response was horrid on the Mclaren!
The turbo lag was a little rough

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Have basically the same spec. Love it!! Spent the morning today on Xmas waxing her before the fam came over haha. Congrats!!! Such a fun car.
Thank you!
Old 12-26-2018, 05:07 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

McLaren - expensive Lotus with similar reliability issues. Lotus might actually be better. I can put up with stuff at Lotus price point but not at what McLaren charges. Good move getting the GT3.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Your post is pretty spot on. McLaren in my opinion is still going through some growing pains on their cars, its hit and miss on reliability and the depreciation hit from brand new to a year old is killer.

You're welcome, Just giving my honest opinion between the two cars..... I feel like a lot of GT3 owners contemplate this since the cars are in similar price ranges. I dont know about Mac repairs as I was fortunate enough not to have that problem but as far as the exotic thing goes I am pretty happy to not be chased down by people taking photos all the time and follow me around town or follow me home.
Congrats: Beauty for sure. Your info is just another shining example of why I just can't pull the trigger on a Mac or certainly give up my beautiful .2 3RS for a 600LT. Nope.

I am sure the 600LT will be a little faster overall but its still TT and the story of your experience is certainly not confidence inspiring to drop $300 large on a Mac, at least for me.

Your story confirms for me that a Porsche is a Porsche is Porsche. Especially when it comes to Porsche GT cars.

Cheers.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:02 PM
JSA
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations! And welcome back home.

A good friend of mine has a McLaren 570S. It's been in the shop more than in his garage. I'll never own one. I'm too used to having a German built tank that I can drive to the track, run near record production car times, and then drive home. Thank you, and drive through.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Congrats: Beauty for sure. Your info is just another shining example of why I just can't pull the trigger on a Mac or certainly give up my beautiful .2 3RS for a 600LT. Nope.

I am sure the 600LT will be a little faster overall but its still TT and the story of your experience is certainly not confidence inspiring to drop $300 large on a Mac, at least for me.

Your story confirms for me that a Porsche is a Porsche is Porsche. Especially when it comes to Porsche GT cars.

Cheers.
It would be hard to give up a .2 RS for an LT. Other issue in my opinion for the $300K Mac is the depreciation. Its going to be a hard hit when it celebrates its 1 year bday in your garage.

Originally Posted by JSA
Congratulations! And welcome back home.

A good friend of mine has a McLaren 570S. It's been in the shop more than in his garage. I'll never own one. I'm too used to having a German built tank that I can drive to the track, run near record production car times, and then drive home. Thank you, and drive through.
Thats unfortunate, I would suggest if someone is going to buy a 570S, buy it used and see what the service records are to figure out if you are getting a good one. Few members on mclaren life have had very good reliable ones.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
McLaren - expensive Lotus with similar reliability issues. Lotus might actually be better. I can put up with stuff at Lotus price point but not at what McLaren charges. Good move getting the GT3.
elise/Exige are Toyota reliable after the recall for the early ones.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:41 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats unfortunate, I would suggest if someone is going to buy a 570S, buy it used and see what the service records are to figure out if you are getting a good one. Few members on mclaren life have had very good reliable ones.
I think this is the path I'm looking for. Not to replace the GT3, but to add to it. If reliability issues do hit, at least I still have a toy in the garage.

Quick Reply: Christmas Came Early - My new 991.2 GT3 Manual