991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank God for Pobst

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018 | 12:38 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

interested to find out how much those cup 2r tires are worth re lap times and how long do they last?
Old 12-24-2018 | 02:33 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Originally Posted by catdog2
Article came out in Oct '18 and after .2 3RS had been out for a while, so above assertion is not necessarily to be taken for granted

have a motor trend subscription. No mention of randy driving a .2 3rs as of yet. So im going to say he is referencing the .1 3rs
Old 12-24-2018 | 02:46 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

I put Chris Harris and Randy Pobst 1a and 1b. They each offer a unique take on the car being reviewed...and I can appreciate what they each bring to the table. All other reviewers are a notch or more below Randy and Chris...
Old 12-24-2018 | 03:49 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Randy went on record early on about liking the GT3 more than the .1 3RS after testing and spinning the car due to entry oversteer. No mention of him testing the .2 3RS which should be similar to the 2RS. Doubling the front spring rate and increasing the rear only 60% should have tamed that small imbalance on the .2.

We invited Randy to attend an autocross as a guest instructor. He is originally from Melbourne, Fl and he was a hit! Super nice guy and very approachable. He told stories of learning to Autocross about a mile from where we were and how that led to racing. He spent the day jumping in cars, giving instruction and demonstrations. The man has skills. He can jump in any car and immediately be fast.
Old 12-24-2018 | 06:47 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I put Chris Harris and Randy Pobst 1a and 1b. They each offer a unique take on the car being reviewed...and I can appreciate what they each bring to the table. All other reviewers are a notch or more below Randy and Chris...
Agree with this but would add Henry Catchpole from CarFection as 1c. He adds a "thinking man's" element to evaluating these cars. Oh, and the .2 GT3 is his favorite and I loved his comment in his video that he would order the driver's seat in carbon fiber race variety and the passenger seat in 18 way power / sofa variety. Made me laugh out loud but I now occasionally wish I had ordered this setup also. :-)
Old 12-24-2018 | 06:50 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SB27
Agree with this but would add Henry Catchpole from CarFection as 1c. He adds a "thinking man's" element to evaluating these cars. Oh, and the .2 GT3 is his favorite and I loved his comment in his video that he would order the driver's seat in carbon fiber race variety and the passenger seat in 18 way power / sofa variety. Made me laugh out loud but I now occasionally wish I had ordered this setup also. :-)
Ha, thats great. I will have to check out his reviews. I havent come across him, or if I did, did not know his name.
Old 12-24-2018 | 06:56 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Ha, thats great. I will have to check out his reviews. I havent come across him, or if I did, did not know his name.
A commenter above had less than favorable views on Catchpole and Chris Harris. I get that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I can see why these two guys opinions might not be for everyone. Randy P is "the bomb" but he really focuses mostly on how these cars will perform at the track. That's awesome but we will likely spend less than 5-10% of our time, and far less mileage, driving our GT cars at a track. What Harris and Catchpole do for me is tell "the rest of the story" about what the car feels like, how is it to actually live with (mostly on the road), etc. That matters just as much to me as it's track performance. Again, to each their own.

My understanding is that Harris has raced in some well known 24 hour endurance events and other competitive racing events. To me that adds a bit more weight to his thoughts but Randy P certainly takes the cake when talking about which cars hook up well at the track. He is in a league of one talking about track performance in my book.
Old 12-25-2018 | 04:46 PM
john weires
Pro

I enjoy many of the reviewers, including Chris Harris etc. But when Randy Pobst speaks, his words have GRAVITY, especially concerning track performance. He's a certified racing expert where many of the others reviewers are perhaps better categorized as advanced amateurs. However sometimes I can relate better to what these advanced amateurs have to say especially concerning street performance, which is where most of us spend far more time. But for track talk, it's Randy.
Old 12-25-2018 | 05:31 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
interested to find out how much those cup 2r tires are worth re lap times and how long do they last?
I'm getting a set in mid Jan, hope to give them a try toward the end of Jan. I'm excited to see how they perform and durability (or lack there of). Will report back.

With regards to the .1 vs .2 GT3 RS, my driving coach admitted to me that he really didn't like my .1 (after i traded in on a .2). He really liked the .2 RS right away. I had Jae Lee at Mirage here in SD set the car up with -2.7 of camber F/R and raised the rear 4 turns to add some rake. Oversteer is more prominent, but its very easy to rotate. I might soften the rear or stiffen the front to reduce the corner exit oversteer. I had lots of problems with understeer in the .1, some of which seemed to be from lowering the rear of the car too much (20 turns on the rear!). These cars are very sensitive to rake, so perhaps if Randy had the .1 rear lowered slightly, say 5 turns, perhaps he would have not had the corner entry oversteer. The cool thing about these GT cars is the ability to play with the set up and tweek it to your preferences. Some prefer the car to push, others like it to be a little looser. Everyone has different driving styles.
Old 12-25-2018 | 06:42 PM
DerStig
Racer

It is worth pointing out that Randy Probst drives with all nannies off. While that is advantegous for rear engined, lighter weight, much less torquey porsche, it is quite the disadvantage for zr1. Zr1 makes twice the torque porsche makes at idle. Porsche has a much more linear torque curve even for a forced induction motor. Also it is widely accepted that corvette’s PTM system is quite simply superb.

Another race driver Pilgrim has lapped NCM faster in a zr1 than he did in gt2rs. And that magazine selected ZR1 car of the year. For most of us who spend 5-10% of the time with the car in a track and rest of the time do some backroad driving and dinner with the wife on the weekend, gt2rs is simply unliveable RELATIVELY speaking to zr1. The seats alone is a deal killer if you just want to drive that car anywhere but track. From heated/cooled seats, to 4g wifi, to targa top, to massive trunk space, to dual zone climate control, valet mode, heads up display, you literally have a sports car with the luxury and functionality of an M5/mercedes E class AMG with a sport car application. GT2RS is just too limited specific to a very specific purpose. ZR1 is jack of all trades and does all of that so well for fraction of the gt2rs’ price. Lastly lets not forget that the water tank needs to be filled quite frequently in gt2rs and the cup2r tires are both very expensive, last very little, and are harder to come by. You can order a Zr1 today, simply drive to track, then home, then to work.

Here is another article: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/the-700-horsepower-club/
Old 12-25-2018 | 07:02 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DerStig
It is worth pointing out that Randy Probst drives with all nannies off. While that is advantegous for rear engined, lighter weight, much less torquey porsche, it is quite the disadvantage for zr1. Zr1 makes twice the torque porsche makes at idle. Porsche has a much more linear torque curve even for a forced induction motor. Also it is widely accepted that corvette’s PTM system is quite simply superb.

Another race driver Pilgrim has lapped NCM faster in a zr1 than he did in gt2rs. And that magazine selected ZR1 car of the year. For most of us who spend 5-10% of the time with the car in a track and rest of the time do some backroad driving and dinner with the wife on the weekend, gt2rs is simply unliveable RELATIVELY speaking to zr1. The seats alone is a deal killer if you just want to drive that car anywhere but track. From heated/cooled seats, to 4g wifi, to targa top, to massive trunk space, to dual zone climate control, valet mode, heads up display, you literally have a sports car with the luxury and functionality of an M5/mercedes E class AMG with a sport car application. GT2RS is just too limited specific to a very specific purpose. ZR1 is jack of all trades and does all of that so well for fraction of the gt2rs’ price. Lastly lets not forget that the water tank needs to be filled quite frequently in gt2rs and the cup2r tires are both very expensive, last very little, and are harder to come by. You can order a Zr1 today, simply drive to track, then home, then to work.

Here is another article: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/t...rsepower-club/
I suppose thats why they make a great variation of cars...but I'd take a gt2rs over a ZR1 for every possible use known to man (track, dinner, back roads you name it). ZR1 does nothing for me. I am sure its fast, and its unfair for me to say this since I'vd never driver one, but I cannot imagine the ZR1 is anywhere near as enjoyable to drive as a gt2 rs (or gt3rs or gt3 for that matter). For the money, I'd take a Gt3 over the ZR1 every time for every use.... if money doesnt matter, I'd take the GT2 RS and wouldnt even look twice at the ZR1. Heck, I even like the GT350R better than the ZR1...and the ZL1 1LE over the ZR1.
Old 12-25-2018 | 07:21 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

I suppose thats why they make a great variation of cars...but I'd take a gt2rs over a ZR1 for every possible use known to man (track, dinner, back roads you name it). ZR1 does nothing for me. I am sure its fast, and its unfair for me to say this since I'vd never driver one, but I cannot imagine the ZR1 is anywhere near as enjoyable to drive as a gt2 rs (or gt3rs or gt3 for that matter). For the money, I'd take a Gt3 over the ZR1 every time for every use.... if money doesnt matter, I'd take the GT2 RS and wouldnt even look twice at the ZR1. Heck, I even like the GT350R better than the ZR1...and the ZL1 1LE over the ZR1.
Agree. They're not in the same price range because they're not in the same league. The ZR1 is the Vette of the month, but it will be largely forgotten the minute it goes out of production.
Old 12-25-2018 | 07:40 PM
minthral
Pro

In short, the corvette front engine design has reached the limit. The new mid engine version will be interesting. IMO chevy design and quality just doesn’t hold up...especially when trying to push it hard on a track. That’s probably never going to change due to German and American cultural differences. Regardless, I could easily afford and be sold any Corvette, but the cost and allocation game is out of my league for the top end 911.
Old 12-25-2018 | 11:05 PM
DerStig
Racer

You are just being very unrealistic and subjective. You simply cannot take your significant other to a nice dinner or a party if she is wearing a dress with high heels in bucket seats. The storage area of gt2rs is nonexistant. ZR1 has a massive 18 cu ft trunk. You cant fit more than 3 full whole foods bags to Porsche.

Lastly, I love how GT3 sounds (and RS) but gt2rs simply sounds atrocious. It has that muted messed up turbo sound that can be best characterized by someone who has asthma trying to scream.

You simply cannot daily drive a gt2rs for the simple reason of magnesium wheels that cost over $5000 each alone unless you have massive amounts of disposable income. Its a show car thats good for 3 laps with the perfect R tires and distilled water. Its as close to a race car you will get but thats not how real life is unless you can afford one with an ADM. if you can afford a 250k ADM on that car (which itself is double the cost of zr1), you and I belong to a different world and nothing I say really apply to you. Money to you is not what it is to me.
Old 12-25-2018 | 11:32 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DerStig

You are just being very unrealistic and subjective. You simply cannot take your significant other to a nice dinner or a party if she is wearing a dress with high heels in bucket seats. The storage area of gt2rs is nonexistant. ZR1 has a massive 18 cu ft trunk. You cant fit more than 3 full whole foods bags to Porsche.

Lastly, I love how GT3 sounds (and RS) but gt2rs simply sounds atrocious. It has that muted messed up turbo sound that can be best characterized by someone who has asthma trying to scream.

You simply cannot daily drive a gt2rs for the simple reason of magnesium wheels that cost over $5000 each alone unless you have massive amounts of disposable income. Its a show car thats good for 3 laps with the perfect R tires and distilled water. Its as close to a race car you will get but thats not how real life is unless you can afford one with an ADM. if you can afford a 250k ADM on that car (which itself is double the cost of zr1), you and I belong to a different world and nothing I say really apply to you. Money to you is not what it is to me.
Agree, I am being very unrealistic and subjective. as are you. You arent seriously saying you would take your wife wearing a dress and high heels to dinner in a ZR1? Given those parameters, neither the GT2RS nor the ZR1 fit the bill. Its time for a range rover, s550, bentley (the list goes on and on) make much more sense than a zr1 or gt2rs.

No, I cannot afford a $250k ADM. I would have to stretch to buy a GT2RS at sticker. but, thats not the point of this. The point is that I would rather have the gt2rs over the zr1 regardless of money, use etc.....I like the looks, the feel, the sound, handling, panache every thing better in the gt2RS.

I somehow miss your point as to the mag wheels....I would have no problem daily driving a car that had wheels that cost $5k....neither would most folks that drive a GT3, RS or GT2RS. Heck I had a $70k GT350R that had carbon wheels on it, tracked it and drove on street.....compared to the cars themselves, the wheels are least expensive item

Quick Reply: Thank God for Pobst