European Delivery First Week in April Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 73 Posts
Default European Delivery First Week in April Questions

Hey guys,

So I wanted to pic your brains on ED. I managed to swing a GT3T allocations with a completion date of 2/8/19. My wife and I had planned to be in Paris for a week (3/30 through 4/6) and thought we may spend a couple days in Paris and then fly over to Stuttgart and do ED which we haven't done before. We went to Stuttgart a couple years ago and visited the factory and museum, so we plan to make our Stuttgart stop pretty quick.

What do ya'll think of this itinerary (its pretty jam packed)? Any concerns with weather? Any suggestions? Any drives you recommend? Thanks in advance!

-Saturday 3/30: arrive in Paris
-Monday 4/1: fly from Paris to Stuttgart in the early morning and pick up the car at the factory in the afternoon. lunch or dinner at Christophorus.
-Tuesday 4/2: drive from Stuttgart to Zurich (2.5hr) and spend the day/night there
-Wednesday 4/3: drive to Lake Como (3.5hr) and spend the day/night there
-Thursday 4/4: drive to Nice/Monaco (4hr) and spend the day/night there
-Friday 4/5: fly back to Paris

Old 12-17-2018, 09:09 PM
WI-Ing
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Info to Alp passes along the way:

Map of the classics: https://www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/alpen...d/CleanFile/31

Past opening dates spring: https://www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/alpen.../CleanFile/251

Have fun!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Unless you’re opposed to it, the train from Paris to Stuttgart is quite a nice and short ride. It leaves from Gare du Nord every two hours and pulls into the Stutgart Central Station across the street from the Steigenberger. I found it far more convienent, less stressful then going through CDG and takes about the same total time, 5 hours or so. Way cheaper to, even with first class if you book through SNCF.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Unless you’re opposed to it, the train from Paris to Stuttgart is quite a nice and short ride. It leaves from Gare du Nord every two hours and pulls into the Stutgart Central Station across the street from the Steigenberger. I found it far more convienent, less stressful then going through CDG and takes about the same total time, 5 hours or so. Way cheaper to, even with first class if you book through SNCF.
+1 on the train. You get to see the country as well instead of looking down on it.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Was going to mention the same thing! Way better way too go - far less hassle and more comfortable way to travel!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:17 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Would recommend heading out of Stuttgart after your lunch at Christophorus. Use the extra night in either Lake Como or South of France. Would recommend staying in Eze at the Chateau Eza.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:27 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Your itinerary looks jam packed. If you go with it, drive the Col de Turini in southern France. It’s about 45 min from Monaco. Was absolutely amazing.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:01 AM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 73 Posts

thanks for all of the great info guys!

i am wondering if we would be better off making our way around west germany and the black forest and then heading to paris for drop off there?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Second a second night in Como. Did the same with ED on a M5. Also, you may want to book a hotel with secure storage - I know the euro insurance had clauses about this with BMW. Oh, final thought. Depending on how you drive out of Como to Nice, the roads can be super narrow. Be prepared to take your time!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbrett

i am wondering if we would be better off making our way around west germany and the black forest and then heading to paris for drop off there?
Taking a day trip from Stuttgart to Strasbourg through the Black Forrest is fun and easy. The B28 and B500 are heavenly roads to drive while there.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:55 AM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

What do ya'll think of this itinerary (its pretty jam packed)? Any concerns with weather? Any suggestions? Any drives you recommend? Thanks in advance!

-Saturday 3/30: arrive in Paris
-Monday 4/1: fly from Paris to Stuttgart in the early morning and pick up the car at the factory in the afternoon. lunch or dinner at Christophorus.
-Tuesday 4/2: drive from Stuttgart to Zurich (2.5hr) and spend the day/night there
-Wednesday 4/3: drive to Lake Como (3.5hr) and spend the day/night there
-Thursday 4/4: drive to Nice/Monaco (4hr) and spend the day/night there
-Friday 4/5: fly back to Paris
Sounds like a nice itinerary! I'm taking delivery of a winged PTS GT3 on 03/29 with a similar route.

Stuttgart (1 night)
Como (Milan and Monza) (3 nights)
Portofino (2 nights)
Monaco (2 nights)
Provence (5 nights)
Drop off in Nice

We're heading South, but since it's still in April, don't expect the Gotthard pass to be open. Watch your speed in Switzerland and pre-order your toll road passes. I would advise against Zurich, since it's a drab city. We're pushing through to Como and spending 3-4 nights at Villa D'Este. Basel or any of the lakes would be a better option than Zurich. Monaco...staying at the Metropole and then a cave in Provence for a few days.

There're some nice drives North and Northwest of Monaco. Roads are narrow and they're more scenic than speed.

Enjoy!

Old 12-18-2018, 03:11 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hi, I’m suppose to do ED late April and didn’t know what the abbreviations are? Is train travel better than renting car? Planning on flying into Frankfurt and renting car to Stuttgart for pick up and then drive down to Milan and then eventually to Monaco before driving back to return car. Any help appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
Old 12-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vadaredevil

hi, I’m suppose to do ED late April and didn’t know what the abbreviations are? Is train travel better than renting car? Planning on flying into Frankfurt and renting car to Stuttgart for pick up and then drive down to Milan and then eventually to Monaco before driving back to return car. Any help appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
CDG = Charles de Gaule Airport amd SNCF is the French train carrier.

In Germany, renting a car is easy. The drive from Frankfurt to Stuttgart is easy unless you do it during traffic. It can turn the 2 hour trip into 4 or more. There are several trains a day from Frankfurt to Stuttgart on Deutche Bahn, it takes about an hour. The Stuttgart Train station is right across the street from the Steigenberger hotel, which most folks use for ED. I lived in Stuttgart for two years, so I’m glad the info is coming in handy
Old 12-18-2018, 03:33 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

We Just did Baden-Baden, Strasbourg, Colmar and Eguisheim on the first leg of our ED in November...spectacular scenery in Black Forest and storybook villages in Alsace region.
I wanted to do Swiss Alpine passes, then onto Como and Monte Carlo, but weather precluded it....did Bavaria, Austria and Czechia instead.
Maybe next Ferrari we will do Italian Alps and Monaco..

Old 12-19-2018, 11:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Picking mine up 03-29-19

Quick Reply: European Delivery First Week in April Questions