Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-topic: Enjoy your manual control GT3's! The car world is changing fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:42 PM
SapphireGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A richer family down the street has bought their own drone car. It's a Porsche-made brand and has a lot of fancy interior upgrades like plush carpet, high end nappa leather and even a setting to bypass speed limits and acceleration levels in limited situations. It's called "thrill mode." The Porsche drone can do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds in the right conditions when this mode is selected. Anyway, this drone can be pre-scheduled to take Dad to work, kids to school, and then Mom to her part-time attorney job and then to the spa in the afternoon, all with the same car. No more two or 3 car families needed. In the event of an overlap, Porsche has an additional option of flex scheduling where a company-owned drone Porsche will come by and pick up someone at the family residence when the family owned drone is otherwise unavailable. This family is wealthy and really doesn't like riding in a shared drone car. Plus, their Porsche drone is red so it stands out and makes them look cool to the neighbors. haha.
What about the Mistress? Get a separate account/contract?
Old 11-27-2018, 04:02 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

My company does drones and they work quite well. However, they require a lot of sensing hardware and therefore costs are high and while large production volumes would help, there are some fundamental costs that simply won’t disappear. I suspect a subscription model will be needed initially simply because I expect the costs to properly equip safely automated cars will prove to be much higher than the cost to equip a car to the current “autopilot” level. Perhaps clever innovation will save us the money, time will tell.

But regardless, sharing will make more sense as the technology simply lends itself to it. Turo might sound pretty good when the accident risk is essentially gone and the renter pick up and drop off is automatic.

As mentioned, separate roads (autopilot only) will eventually enable us to realize a lot more automation benefits. For instance we could greatly increase speed limits as the cars will figure that out with an appropriate (perhaps legally mandated) margin of safety. However, that will be when we enthusiasts start to get into trouble. I don’t see anyone riding horses downtown these days.

On the upside, horse races are absolutely still a thing. So the moral of the story is we all need to get into racing.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:21 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

Not in my life time....DOB 1965
Old 11-27-2018, 05:50 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 422 Posts

CL, the sky is not falling.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:44 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

I’m not saying the sky is falling, but if there is a very strong profit motive and business case to shift how cars are “sold” and “used”, its all going to happen much more quickly than most of us think.

I LOVE driving as do most of us in this subforum, heck we drive Porsche GT cars. But, most of the driving public could give a crap about the “art” of driving and the man/machine interface. I could even buy into a drone car for my work commute as traffic sucks in DFW nowadays. But evenings/weekends/track days, I want to drive big time.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:46 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

As soon as there are more driver less cars there will be more technoazzholes who will find a way to "trick" them with driving habits so as to make them dangerous. They will always be trying to "test" them. Please sit back and enjoy the ride, but always be ready to chamber a friend.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:02 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SapphireGT3
What about the Mistress? Get a separate account/contract?
good boy drone + bad boy drone
Old 11-28-2018, 01:23 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

Since a majority of people either lease their cards or have perpetual car payments, they are already in a subscription service.

Quick Reply: Off-topic: Enjoy your manual control GT3's! The car world is changing fast