Sponsored by:

991.1 versus 991.2 Motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The Torque difference is very obvious on the street in a .2 and does make a noticeable difference believe it or not.
agree. Torque difference is very obvious on both street and track. If money is a factor then buying a .1 GT3 still gets you an amazing car with a 100,000 mile warranty.

For me, the improved torque, RWS, suspension, steering, and PCM were worth the upgrade, but I’d never disparage any new buyer who choose the .1 over the .2 given the current price delta.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

If buying for short term, .1 is fine w warranty

Not sure I'd own one out of warranty

I think cost of ownership will be same, as .2 will hold delta
Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 54 Posts

I can’t really chime in on the technical stuff but between my .1 and my .2 the biggest differences were the mid range torque and the manual trans.

Most importantly, I drive my .2 way more than my .1. I enjoy it more and I can’t get enough of it. I was always on the fence about selling my .1 and with the .2 I simply don’t care. I get so much enjoyment out of it that it doesn’t even matter what’s next or if I take a bath. It’s got 6k miles in one year and I can’t even count how many track days. 3 sets of rear tires, 2 sets of fronts, new rotors, new pads, and I couldn’t be happier.

Hope this helps but ultimately do what your gut tells you and just make sure you buy it and beat the crap out of it.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:08 AM
Dgreene8354
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a black on black 2016 GT3 2 months ago. Like you, It is my retirement present. I considered the Turbo S, which is wicked fast between the lights. But ended up with the GT3. I ran SCCA many years ago and the GT3 brought back memories. Not a great daily driver, but one heck of a track car. I haven’t put a lot of miles on it yet, but so far so good. And hands down, the best sounding Porsche made. Sounds like an F1 car, turns a lot of heads. I have the Fabspeed center delete. Planning some track time next month. We’ll see if the engine holds up.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:41 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgreene8354
I purchased a black on black 2016 GT3 2 months ago. Like you, It is my retirement present. I considered the Turbo S, which is wicked fast between the lights. But ended up with the GT3. I ran SCCA many years ago and the GT3 brought back memories. Not a great daily driver, but one heck of a track car. I haven’t put a lot of miles on it yet, but so far so good. And hands down, the best sounding Porsche made. Sounds like an F1 car, turns a lot of heads. I have the Fabspeed center delete. Planning some track time next month. We’ll see if the engine holds up.
And the .1 sounds better than the .2. Higher pitched.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:19 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Thor.

Buddy if you go out and drive a .1 and a .2 back to back you will be able to take the Pepsi challenge and win every time. Without question but it's not like the difference between a Camry and a V8 Camaro.

If the difference in price precludes you from purchasing a .2 then don't even worry about it and buy a .1 and you'll love it and won't miss what you don't have. Just put those bench races out of your mind between the two.

I tell you if you're the guy who parks your car way out on the end of the parking lot to avoid a ding, you're gonna get an a$$hole that'll park right there and ding you.

If you buy a .1 GT3 and worry about the engine failing all the time... don't worry! Again, we can thank Rob and Co. another for the mega engine warranty with these .1 cars. 10 years! 120k miles! Unheard of. Epic!

My very best advice would be to purchase a CPO .1 car with a nice stack of paperwork and enjoy the hell out of the car. You won't regret it for a second.

Owning a GT3 or any Porsche for that matter without a bumper to bumper CPO warranty is like spending the night at Charlie Sheen's house. Anything can happen!

You may spend a few extra bucks on the purchase price of the car but buy from a Porsche dealer. You'll get a CPO (certified pre owned) car with that pink sheet that shows the "in service" date and when your CPO ends.

If I worried about door dings I know I'd have a hundred of them because I drive this car everywhere and park anywhere I want and I don't have a ding anywhere. It's the Murphy's Law thing. Ha ha.

If you're concerned about driving it and breaking it, take a look at this.

Name:  photo437.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  180.0 KB
Old 06-07-2019, 08:11 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 725 Likes on 401 Posts

The compelling part to me is that you’re incentivized to drive a .1 while this fantastic warranty exists. There’s zero reward for keeping it bubblewrapped in the garage.

Porsche is actually daring you to do your damnedest to blow up the motor over the next 5~ years. It’s an insane value prop.

It’s almost a joke how much car it is for the money. To score these things in the 115-125 range is laughable for how awesome they are.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrsteve
The compelling part to me is that you’re incentivized to drive a .1 while this fantastic warranty exists. There’s zero reward for keeping it bubblewrapped in the garage.

Porsche is actually daring you to do your damnedest to blow up the motor over the next 5~ years. It’s an insane value prop.

It’s almost a joke how much car it is for the money. To score these things in the 115-125 range is laughable for how awesome they are.
Unbelievably true!
Old 06-07-2019, 05:49 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

What about a set budget. if the difference in cost is a concern, and it should be as most of us are not rich, put a budget on the investment. If 120k is it, make that best purchase on what you want to spend. If the budget is not the major factor, buy a .2, get the tranny you want, and enjoy!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

If it lasts, the .1 tranny is more appealing (at least to me). Because the engine yells better, powercurve is more like a race engine, the pdk rattles more and the gears kick in harder. If it lasts...
Old 06-09-2019, 04:47 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
If it lasts, the .1 tranny is more appealing (at least to me). Because the engine yells better, powercurve is more like a race engine, the pdk rattles more and the gears kick in harder. If it lasts...

Yes,

I can vouch for the difference in personality between the sounds and personality of the .1 PDK-S and the .2 PDK-S. I'm probably in the minority like you that prefers the ruckus that the .1 box makes.

FWIW mine did fail at around 35k miles. I take that back. The box didn't fail but the seals between the atf oil and gear oil fails in some and mixes together causing a slip. The Germans call it a
mixer". So the mechanicals did not fail. Just a physical connectivity issue with the seals.

The .2 box that was replaced in my car is much quieter and the ratios are different. It revs faster than the .1 box which is a contributor to the .2 cars overall speed (including the 4.0) of course and makes them a tad faster overall.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
The .2 box that was replaced in my car is much quieter and the ratios are different. It revs faster than the .1 box which is a contributor to the .2 cars overall speed (including the 4.0) of course and makes them a tad faster overall.
I’m pretty sure that they did not change the ratios. If it revs faster, that’s due to additional power and torque that can pull the gears better.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:22 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I’m pretty sure that they did not change the ratios. If it revs faster, that’s due to additional power and torque that can pull the gears better.
No. I'd think the same thing but my car is a 15. Same engine car.

I'm sure I'm in a minority to have a .1 F engine 2015 with a .2 PDK.

Just the PDK failed. Engine has 46k miles now. Porsche replaced the PDK out with a new box complete. They don't open them, they just send them back to Germany.

I actually joked with the service writer that I liked the loud, obnoxious racket the .1 box makes and he said sorry. They only send us .2 PDK's now for replacement it's a different part number and improved box. They had my car an additional 2 days because they had to load the programming.

It's not as loud and clunky as the .1 boxes but the .2 is an improved PDK-S and I'm happy to have it.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:27 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

And for the record, sorry to change the tone of the thread from Engines to transmissions.

Back to original programming.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Oh... but interresting info. Hope my PDK will not have problems. The gear rattle is so nice...

Quick Reply: 991.1 versus 991.2 Motors